Listening to ...

Comments

• David S Ware Quartet - Dao
    I have to be in the mood, but Ware remains the successor to Coltrane. For me, no living sax player has taken up the baton from Ware. There's such structure and logic to his out playing.

•  Steve Wonder today, Talking book and Innervisions. Maybe a little Bob Marley later.
  • I've been listening to all sorts of farty jazz, courtesy of Tidal.
  • Farty Jazz? never found that section in my local store, as for Tidal not lucky enough to live near the sea.......Don't understand that black magic.
  • I've long forgotten who referred to my musical taste as farty jazz. I do remember that Ugly Music came from a friend of mine saying: Hey Dave, are you going to play any of that ugly music?
  • Starting the day with:
    Fourth World - Live at Ronnie Scott's
    I saw them, I think, the year before at Ronnie's. Amazing!

• Brian Eno - Before and After Science
    One of those 'I had it on a crappy cassette when I was a student' albums. Still like it, though.

• Aaron Parks (the drummer, not the pianist) - Parks and Wreck
    A kind of 2020 fusion. Yep, it’s back again. 
     i can’t find it on YT, but you can stream it. 
  • Dug one out today I haven't listened to for a while, used to be a major spinner and I have no idea why it slipped off the playlist, still love this despite it being way off my usual tatste...

• Another band I've never heard of! Listening to it now.
  • Oded Tzur - Isabela
    This has been on almost constant rotation for the past few days. I'm liking it!
    Only the promo on YT, I'm afraid, but it should be on all the streaming services if you want to dig deeper.

• Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Prepare Thyself to Deal With A Miracle
    Not one of Kirk's best known, but he's usually worth a listen.

• Stephan Micus - The Garden of Mirrors
    Nice winding down music

• Sex Pistols, God Save The Queen.
    Anyone else celebrating :D ?
  • Trying not to!
  • The Who,  Acid Queen... ;)
  • I'm listening to Bowie. I'll leave you to supply the title  >:)
  • The only thing I can think of,  under pressure?
  • Good thinking, but wrong!
  • The Queen Queenie!!! :)

Actually something rhyming with "itch" methinks...

• Lol!
    Correct!
  • Bill Evans - You Must Believe in Spring (Remastered 2022)

Sounding very good streaming from Qobuz. I guess this is where streaming comes in. I'd never buy this in a month of Sundays, but I'm in the mood for a bit of Bill this evening.
  • Another one dug from the time-out bin!
    The original Wishbone Ash album. Proggy/bluesy-rock with faint flashes of jazzy influences.
    I heard Lady Whiskey on Radio Paradise and just had to play the whole album.
    My favourite of theirs is No Smoke Without Fire but I'm not keen on their often-picked Argus, leaves me a bit meh.

Anyhoosenpeeps, yertiz!

• Argus was the one I knew from my teenage years. I'll play the YT when I'm not in front of the TV.
  • Shore by fleet foxes
  • I haven't listened to them for ages. Maybe something for later.
  • their latest one, released 18 or so months ago, definitely worth a listen !
  • edited June 2022
    Definitely not listened to that.
  • Jackie McLean - Right Now!

One of the greats, if not his greatest album. Still absolutely worth a listen, though.
  • edited June 2022
    Drop everything! Mary Halvorson's new album, Amaryllis (one of two released simultaneously), is fantastic. I've been playing it on and off recently in the office, but it's really clicking on the main system - yeah, I know, I should be outside, but who the heck wants sunburn?  :smile:

• A random pick of Joe Satriani...two to share.

I always thought this next one was an obvious pick for a new Top Gun or similar...

• So the Blancmange in 'Another speaker build...' let me into a rabbit hole of 70s and 80s stuff. Possibly the best of it:
    Iggy & The Stooges - I wanna be your dog

• Jean Toussaint - Live in Paris and London
    Love the cover. It's gritty, like a rock image.

• You gotta lurrrve The Stooges!
    I had a listen to Shore by Fleet Foxes. All well crafted stuff but no stand out tracks to the standard of Your Protector, Ragged Wood, Loralai etc.
    Maybe they set their own bar too high! 
  • Here's an album that's been recommended to me a number of times but I've always neglected to investigate.
    Yesterday I caught up with it and was very happy I did!

There's even some marginally ugly inspired passages to rouse Dave's interest ;)

• cj66 said:
    You gotta lurrrve The Stooges!
    I had a listen to Shore by Fleet Foxes. All well crafted stuff but no stand out tracks to the standard of Your Protector, Ragged Wood, Loralai etc.
    Maybe they set their own bar too high! 

For me, Iggy/the Stooges are a singles band. But what singles!!!

Was I wanna be your dog a single? No idea. But I hope you get my drift :)
  • You want some apocalyptic listening? Try:
    Shabaka and the Ancestors - We are sent here by history
    It's nicely redemptive, too. I like it!

• cj66 said:
    Here's an album that's been recommended to me a number of times but I've always neglected to investigate.

I shall add it to my playlist (wherever it went).
  • edited July 2022
    uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:
    Here's an album that's been recommended to me a number of times but I've always neglected to investigate.

I shall add it to my playlist (wherever it went).

I gave it a bit of a distracted listen. Chores and all that. But it sounds good. I've favourited it on Qobuz so I can listen to it properly some time. I see they also have another album on there.
  • edited July 2022
    uglymusic said:
    You want some apocalyptic listening? Try:
    Shabaka and the Ancestors - We are sent here by history
    It's nicely redemptive, too. I like it!

Similar here, just a quick listen. The track you link to made me think " if early Santana had come from Africa ". Others had a different mood so I'll also give this a proper listen later . 
  • Kind of a monochrome Santana cover, too?
  • I was on a YouTube magical mystery tour when I stumbled on...

Punk-folk anyone?

The singer reminded me of a famous English geeza for vocal delivery, see what you think.
    I still can't decide why I liked it!

• cj66 said:
    I was on a YouTube magical mystery tour when I stumbled on...

Punk-folk anyone?

The singer reminded me of a famous English geeza for vocal delivery, see what you think.
    I still can't decide why I liked it!

I'll give it a go. I have a feeling I've heard the album way back in the day.
  • Ellery Eskelin - Forms
    The full album looks like it's there if the mood takes you.
    A fine sax, bass, drums album.

• edited July 2022

Komischer Läufer
  • uglymusic said:
    These guys? https://www.kosmischerlaufer.com/ 

yes, it is, couldn’t load a picture but it’s volume 3 😊

• OK. I'll give it a go  :)
  • Just right for the weather we're having at the moment, where I am.  Funky/groovy west African music with a mainly rootsy flavour, but the odd bit of electronics. Bugger it, I can't really describe it this morning.
    Give it a listen and see what you think!