Listening to ...

Comments

• Amazing live recording of Keith Jarrett with Dewey Redman (reeds), Charlie Haden (bass) and Paul Motian (drums). Oh, how I love that band.

• Just spent the afternoon listening to Flock the first album, Billy Cobham spectrum, and of MVO birds of fire. gorgeous. Tonight maybe the Keith Jarrett as before.
  • I don't know the Flock album, but I love the other two.
  • Flock were a bit of a one hit wonder, well two albums although Jerry Goodman the violinist went on to play with The Mahavishnu Orchestra.
  • Of course! I knew I should have known them.
  • Same for me, there are so many that went that Mahavishnu rout. Even after all these years (72on this planet) I'm still finding new ones. There was obviously something special going on. 
     Mc laughlin was a big enabler so it seems to me, and yet no bigger than the people that chose to play with him, Wish I had been there! But I'm just anal when it comes to this. 
  • edited November 2021
    It was a real melting pot from late 60s until mid-70s, for sure.

I've seen McLaughlin twice that I can recall. Once at the time of the Electric Guitarist album at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park and then at the time of the Festival Hall Live album. I don't think I saw the gig on the album; I saw him the year before (or possibly the year after) at the same venue with a different bass player in the trio.

I wish I'd seen the first incarnation of the Mahavishnu Orchestra and McLaughlin playing with Miles. 
  • I wish I had been aware enough at the time to have seen him, at any point. I was to taken up with Motown for a while. It was only later, the 80s? that I discovered him. He set a benchmark for me that's for sure. He is still for me the ultimate, and he drew so many others that until this day it  still amazes me.
  • I don't know where you live, but I think I saw he is playing in London sometime. Perhaps the London Jazz Festival?
  • Vijay Iyer Trio - Uneasy

• Thank you for the MHO update, Unfortunately with my current medical problems it is unlikely I would be able to attend. Spent some time with Keith Jarrett, a bridge to far for me at the moment I'm afraid, However I will persist as there are "bits" I really like.
  • Sorry to hear you're not well.
    The Keith Jarrett is a little wild, sometimes. Maybe not the best place to start. Do you know The Koln Concert?
  • Thank you for your thought. Being born in 1950 gave me a tremendous opportunity to enjoy the mid 60s onward and I have to confess, I made the most of it. It was never a good prescription for later life., but hay ho at least I enjoyed it. As for now, it gives me great pleasure to revisit those times via the music and seek out what I may have missed, loads probably! I am really enjoying your input, thank you.
  • edited November 2021
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    There's always tons of music that we miss. As I've got older, I've found myself focusing down on jazz/improvised music, mainly because I keep finding more and more of the stuff! That means my interests in African and world music, rock and certain kinds of composed music have slipped by the wayside.
    Glad you're enjoying my suggestions. I'm always happy to make them.
  • Sonny Simmons/Brandon Evans/Kevin Norton - Universal Prayer/Survival Skills
    Love the title! :)

• Please keep it going If you can, even though same are right off my radar its a real journey and great fun. For me other peoples musical likes are fascinating, so much to glean from them!
  • edited November 2021
    I imagine Universal Prayer/Survival Skills is off the radar.
    The stuff in this thread isn't edited.

• Don't understand, I hope I haven't offended in someway?
  • Nope. No offence, at all!
    All I'm saying is that this thread is some of the stuff I'm listening to - some of the stuff that Audio Chews members are listening to. The other thread is what I think you might like.
  • Bobo Stenson Trio - Contra La Indecision
    You have to let the whole album flow over you (at least I do). I've bored you with my Bobo-worship before now, so I'll shut up!

• John Abercrombie and John Scofield - Solar
    Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice listen.

• Ralph Alessi - Imaginary Friends
    How good is this? Alessi has been around for years, and this could be the best I've heard from him.

• Julian Lage - Love Hurts

It looks like most, if not all, of the album is there for your enjoyment on YT.
    I have a bit of Lage, and this one is my favourite. Nice guitar trio.

• Just spent the afternoon with a couple of Talking heads albums and Steely Dan Aja, Yes I know, soooo predictable. Sometimes though I enjoy the familiarity and refuse to apologise for spoiling this thread, Ill get my coat!
  • edited November 2021
    Why would you be spoiling the thread?
  • Weather Report - Procession

I've been listening to this a lot recently. I'd forgotten how good some of these late Weather Report albums are.
  • Fela Kuti - The Underground Spiritual Game

I can never have too much Fela.

• Van Morrison - Enlightenment

A nice mid-period Van.

• Just spent some time with Art Blakey jazz messengers. I have no idea  where or when I got it or why? Been trying to sort out the albums I have, seems like an impossible task! Most of the stuff I purchased was "off the cuff" driven by sales in record shops, curiosity, and the radio. maybe one day Ill listen to the rest. Art Blakey was still in its cellophane, possibly played and benched, marked down to£1.99 Nice listen though not quite me.
  • In the days of record shops, that's how I bought a lot of my collection, too.

FWIW, Art Blakey is a huge figure in jazz who I've never really connected with.
  • Tom Waits - Orphans
    There's the whole Three CDs' worth on YT if you worship at the feet of the all-powerful Waits with me.

• I want to get funked up... so it's:
    Parliament - Mothership Connection
    The whole album is on YT if you want to tear the roof off the sucker :)

• Benefits of being a pensioner, more time to listen! Two early little feat albums and one George duke, great fan of both. fun times. 
  • Little Feat. I love' em.
    I have a bit of George Duke. I'm not his greatest fan. Like Faces in Reflection a lot.
  • Also like George Lowell's "thanks Ill eat it here" solo album and everything L/F. Faces in Reflection I don't have, will look it up this evening!
  • I've been an LF fan since I was at school, but prefer the Lowell George years (love the solo album, too) to the later stuff. Although I saw them after Lowell passed, in London. They were great.
    I originally bought Faces in Reflection years ago on vinyl, on the BASF label. I now have a set of hi-res FLAC files on the NAS, and the vinyl is long gone. F in R is quite jazzy for George Duke, but not a Bill Evans trio, by any means. 
  • This morning, I played my wife The Doors' LA Woman because I thought she might like it.

She did. More of a surprise was that I enjoyed it, too. I've never been much of a fan of Jim Morrison and co. 
  • +1 for the doors track. Been playing some Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Brown, The earlier albums.
  • I saw Bonnie Raitt supporting Litle Feat. Jackson Browne, I've never got into :(
  • So far today:

Steve Earle - Transcendental Blues

and

Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind

Back to farty jazz later, no doubt.

• Steve Wonder, great album Imo, as is inner visions. Mostly been listening to Talking Heads and Ian Durey, just love how tight the blockheads are.
  • Of the two, I prefer Innervisions.
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads were great. I never managed to get to see them live. One of my musical regrets.
  • Snap , Innervisions . For me the Blockheads as a band opened up so much more than I heard before, Incredible musicians imo. I know rhythm stick is a bit of a Cliché, but when it opens up and the band gets going, what more could I want?
  • I love it. One of my favourite singles.
  • And now back to this:
    Archie Shepp - The Magic of Ju-Ju
    I didn't get this for years. I didn't go near it, but on coming back to it, it all made sense. Possibly Shepp's best work?

• edited December 2021
    Thelonious Monk - Live at the Jazz Workshop. Complete

Edit. Thursday 2 December: Playing it again, today. It's incredible Monk.
  • Sonny Rollins and the Big Brass
    I'm not a great Rollins fan, and for me, this isn't his best. But it went up in my estimation with this, from YouTube:

• lots of time on YouTube today. Mostly enjoyed, The Dead South, in good company, Steve and the Seagulls, thunderstruck, Teddy Swims , Tennessee whiskey and finally Hew and Cry, violently live in Glasgow.