Listening to ...

1183184185186187189»

Comments

• So, is that a playlist you've built or one that YT Music built for you?
  • totally YT. laptop was playing up so went for"reset",still trying to sort out the results of that! 
  • It started off OK, but I got a bit bored by a few tracks in. Such is automatically generated playlists!
  • Marilyn Crispell - Amaryllis

This is one of the essential albums of what I think of as Paul Motian Piano Jazz. Motian, a drummer, played with Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett before branching out on his own. In trios with bassists Charlie Haden or Gary Peacock and pianists including Paul Bley, Masabumi Kikuchi, Geri Allen and Marilyn Crispell, he recorded often abstract, sometimes spacy music that still reverberates after many of the participants' deaths.

This one has Gary Peacock in the bass chair.

And piano trios were only part of Motian's music. 
  • Your right the only song i wanted to post was the first, the rest were c..p. did not realize I was posting a "play list". lesson learned, dont mess with settings when you know little about that stuff!
  • Your right the only song i wanted to post was the first, the rest were c..p. did not realize I was posting a "play list". lesson learned, dont mess with settings when you know little about that stuff!

Uglymusic's unerring good taste strikes again! :) :D B)
  • Somewhat of a fringe listening day yesterday.

I was playing the Copperhead Road album by Steve Earle and let Spotify play on from there.
    Most of the day was Country inspired rock, blues, whatever. Not something I would normally choose but rather enjoyed it.

Yee-haw y'all!

• On the subject, I thought I'd throw in two Country inspired curiosities from big rock bands.

• cj66 said:
    Somewhat of a fringe listening day yesterday.

I was playing the Copperhead Road album by Steve Earle and let Spotify play on from there.
    Most of the day was Country inspired rock, blues, whatever. Not something I would normally choose but rather enjoyed it.

Yee-haw y'all!

FWIW, I have a soft spot for Mr Earle. Not to the extent I have bought anything by him, but I stream him from time-to-time.
  • cj66 said:
    On the subject, I thought I'd throw in two Country inspired curiosities from big rock bands.

Neither of them's finest hour, I'd say. Yee-haw!
  • Enjoying this, this morning:

Fat Freddy's Drop - Blackbird Returns

Not too much Yee-haw, though  :(  :o  >:)
  • That was good. So something else in a vaguely similar vein:

Mad Professor and Yellowman - A Feast of Yellow Dub

• edited February 26
    Gianluigi Trovesi (all'opera) - Profumo di Violetta 

This album is amazing. I bought it when it came out in 2008, a wonderful set of HD files. At first sight, it may look like heavy going, but to my ears, it's anything but.
  • Long time favorite, 
  • Thought this might wake a few up, possibly not for the music?
  • Thought this might wake a few up, possibly not for the music?
    I don't know what you're talking about!
  • Charles Lloyd - The Sky Will Still Be There Tomorrow

Lloyd's best for a while, I'd say. 
  • Trevor Watts Moire Music Drum Orchestra - A Wider Embrace

• Kahil El'Zabar Trio, featuring David Murray and Fred Hopkins - Love Outside of Dreams

Hopkins' final album and he's in good form. It's a fine trio album, even if Murray isn't my favourite reed player. 
  • This is so good. I've been playing it over and over.

Shabaka - Perceive Its Beauty, Acknowledge Its Grace

• 29mile said:

I've been listening to that on Qobuz. I like some of it a lot. But not all of it.

What are your thoughts?

Have you tried the Shabaka?
  • Yes the Aldana is a bit hit and miss. A bit ‘late’ Rollins at times but she has a vey sweet tone on the sax.
    Found the Shabaka on Qobuz - unusual but melodic and found it grows on you. Will check out some of his earlier albums. 
  • I'll listen to it with Rollins in mind. I hadn't made that connection. Funnily enough, it's her tone that is one of the things I've struggled with!

The Shabaka is my favourite album so far this year. It had me almost from the first note. It's also the first after he gave up playing the saxophone in favour of a clutch of flutes. Aside from his solo EP from 2022(?) whose title escapes me - you'll find it. It has a portrait in the same style as the new album on the cover - his earlier work is quite different.
  • I've been listening to quite a bit of Trevor Watts lately. He's a sadly obscure British alto player who died a few years ago, with a surprisingly large discography. I hadn't heard his solo album with him playing horn, percussion and synths (the rather basic ones favoured by jazz players (why is that?), until recently:

Trevor Watts - The Deep Blue

It's a rather nice album.
  • edited April 23
    Continuing on my Trevor Watts Fest...

Barry Guy, Howard Riley, John Stevens and Trevor Watts - Endgame

Free improvisation from four greats of the British improv scene, but surprisingly not scary. That much.

It's also on JAPO, which I've just found out means Jazz by Post, a division of the ubiquitous ECM. It sounds nice on the office system, but I'd like to get a sub in here somehow. 
  • edited April 23
    Mr Waits' seminal album - one of my 'timeless' collection and so unlike anything else around at the time ( or any of his previous albums for that matter ).

• 29mile said:
    Mr Waits' seminal album - one of my 'timeless' collection and so unlike anything else around at the time ( or any of his previous albums for that matter ).

I remember it coming out. It was the soundtrack for quite a few weeks in my shared house.
  • In today's sale bin classics, we have:

Don Pullen, Chico Freeman, Fred Hopkins and Bobby Battle - Warriors

Enjoy!
  • Underrated trumpeter imho. Brother of the great Elvin Jones !