Listening to ...

Comments

• Do you find YouTube's recommendations interesting?
  • Yes, well most of the time. On occasion it can be a bit predictable but I suppose that the nature of the beast. For me it is a great way to hear and see new, (to me) performers and music I may not have otherwise found. It is also great for those live performances of bands I know and  those I missed. 
  • I always liked YT's ability to throw me interesting outliers. I feel it has got more like the streaming services in its recommendation predictability these days.
    But, YT has a load of material you can't get elsewhere, so I do find myself laying in bed sometimes, having a look through its suggestions.
  • Thelonious Monk - 5 By Monk By 5
    I'm playing a lot of Monk at the moment. And this is a good one.

• Not quite now but was watching Sky Arts the other day and it has stuck. Concert featuring a pianist called Lang Lang, live at the Lincoln centre with multiple guests, orchestra etc. Incredibly enjoyable, for me. Worth a look? I think so.
  • He's a classical pianist, isn't he? I don't have Sky, so unfortunately I can't give it a go.
  • Apparently so though I'm no authority on classical music, similarly I don't have sky. They have an arts channel on Freeview? which turns up some interesting stuff, architecture, writers, painters etc. This particular programme was about the making of a "homage" to New York in song. lots of different singers and arrangements of tunes about New York. There are a few clips on YouTube.
  • I'll have to see if it's on Freesat.
    Rhapsody in Blue in there somewhere, I'd guess?

• DJ Shadow feat The Gift of the Gab
    'Entropy' (Part C)
  • Sun Ra - Nuclear War
    This is so funny. It shouldn't be, but it is. 'You can kiss your ass goodbye goodbye'

• Docfoster said:

DJ Shadow feat The Gift of the Gab
    'Entropy' (Part C)

I love this thread. We listen to some obscure stuff, sometimes.

Will listen later, if Nuclear War doesn't get me.
  • uglymusic said:
    Sun Ra - Nuclear War
    This is so funny. It shouldn't be, but it is. 'You can kiss your ass goodbye goodbye'

They don’t write them like that anymore:smiley:
    great stuff. :-D
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Sun Ra - Nuclear War

They don’t write them like that anymore:smiley:
    great stuff. :-D
    I'm glad it's not just my sense of humour, Ben.
  • With Christmas now over along with the "obligatory" background music imo. I have settled back down with a bit of ZZ top, Rare Bird, Quatermass and Wishbone Ash, yummy. Played as loud as I am allowed, Showing my age now!
  • I spent Christmas in a musical desert, but that could be seen as a good thing, given some of the crap that floats around at this time of year :)

Anyhoo... This morning, I went back to the beginning - or, at least, the beginning as far as I'm concerned. 

Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music, Volume 1

• Followed by a recent rediscovery:

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark

I'm not sure there's a dud track on it.
  • Just spent the afternoon listening to some of my favourite albums, what a joy. Birds of Fire, Spectrum, Pirates and of course Time loves a hero. How lucky am I!

• edited January 2022
    uglymusic said:
    Followed by a recent rediscovery:

Agreed Dave.
    It’s her masterpiece. And gets overlooked in favour of her other albums.
    I remember driving over the New Severn Bridge with Court and Spark playing and tears rolling down my face.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Agreed Dave.
    I remember driving over the New Severn Bridge with Court and Spark playing and tears rolling down my face.

It is fabulous. I seem to be playing it most days at the moment.
    But my favourite Joni is Hejira. But I guess Jaco's presence rules that one out for you.
  • Nels Cline and Julian Lage - Room

Two very different guitarists meshing so deeply that I haven't a clue who is who after a few bars.

• uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Agreed Dave.

But my favourite Joni is Hejira. But I guess Jaco's presence rules that one out for you.
    :-D
    His incessant high-pitched twanging can ruin the finest compositions!
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Agreed Dave.

:-D
    His incessant high-pitched twanging can ruin the finest compositions!

:'(
  • John McLaughlin - Extrapolation

OK, so I know it's one of those hi-fi show favourites and the pinnacle for a certain generation of British listeners, but it remains one of the most perfect jazz albums ever recorded on these shores.
    And then he buggered off to New York to play with that trumpeter chappie.

• Late last night/early this morning (12pm+) listening to radio 3. Alabaster de Plume, I don't know and United sacred hart musical association, the last words of comernicus. Totally different to any thing I have heard before and quite hunting. I have no idea of what genre they may fall in or even anyone else who might like them either. Isn't music surprising!
  • Now, you've got me!
  • Same here, had to look up radio 3 playlist on web to find out what it was and who!

• since posting about sacred hart above I have spent a bit of time on youtube looking at them, totally fascinating! Massed vocals , they have bee around for a long long time. I really don't know what draws me to them as this is not my normal. there is just something about what they do that resonates, gives me pleasure.
  • Now, I'll have to listen to some.
  • If you do I would think you might find better quality via streaming as the youtube versions, whilst I enjoy them are not as good as the radio 3 broadcast I heard.
  • What a Friday track!

• This is Trojan Dub

• Two great albums, particularly Janis Ian.
  • Do you know, I don't know either of them.
  • So much music out there, as your posts have taught me.
  • Janis Ian is new to me also, I shall investigate...
  • edited April 2022
    Some thoughtful grunge this morning...

• edited April 2022
    Nice. 👍 Love that, cracking way to start a Saturday; that was the sort of thing I was playing in bands in my early twenties. Feels like home to me. 

I was just enjoying A Perfect Circle the other day, followed by Audioslave (and mourning the loss of Chris Cornell all over again).
  • cj66 said:
    Janis Ian is new to me also, I shall investigate...

FWIW, I know Ms Ian, but not the album.
  • cj66 said:
    Some thoughtful grunge this morning...

Wow! I'm not awake enough for the Screaming Trees at the moment. Maybe after my fifth coffee :)
  • Some very.. very old Hollies albums, along with a bit of Spencer Davies. Coool!
  • Silly Walks Movement meets Patrice

• Dug out some good Chick Corea and a dose of Zapper. Followed by a Blockhead pud, excellent.
  • I'm going to take the bait... What counts as Good Chick Corea? :)
  • Bait? can't imagine that you would agree, Super Trio. Think though... I did once travel 12 floors up and down to get to the end of some Kenny G....... surely this is an indication of my appreciation of good music?
  • I don't know it, but Steve Gadd and Christian McBride sound like good bandmates.
    Let's skip the Kenny G :)
  • Don't we all. +1
  • Bait? can't imagine that you would agree, Super Trio. Think though... I did once travel 12 floors up and down to get to the end of some Kenny G....... surely this is an indication of my appreciation of good music?
     :p Excellent!

Love Steve Gadd myself, just an instantly recognizable feel to his groove.
  • Steve Coleman - Invisible Paths: First Scattering
    Alto saxophone solos by one of today's jazz masters. It's not at all like the Anthony Braxton free alto solos school. On the surface, it could be Coleman practising or composing, but let yourself roll into it and it's fantastic.
    Sorry, nothing on YT. And I don't have streaming at the moment, having joined the exodus from Spotify.
  • Irresistible Force double header...

1992 album 'Flying High'

Followed by the 1998 effort 'It's Tomorrow Already'