Listening to ...

Comments

• Ah yes, I confess my ignorance, sh.. man were on earth did you get that knowledge , I have been going through the back posts, what the feck. I thought that I was quite eclectic, no chance!
  • Ah yes, I confess my ignorance, sh.. man were on earth did you get that knowledge , I have been going through the back posts, what the feck. I thought that I was quite eclectic, no chance!
    I have a mate who was (is?) a Fleck fan!
  • I'm a heathen, apparently. Pat Metheny calls this "the absolute greatest jazz guitar album ever made," and he isn't the only one. It's not doing much for me.

I notice Wynton Kelly gets the top billing on the cover, though. The piano trio is great, I'll give the fans that.

Maybe I need to give it another spin sometime
  • Spent the afternoon with The Ladies. Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark, Rikki Lee Jones, Rikki Lee Jones, Eddie Reader, Simple Soul and Madeiline Peyroux, Careless Love.
  • Does your wife know about this?  :)
  • one for you, "joy" John Mc Lauglin and Ravi Shankar. YouTube
  • one for you, "joy" John Mc Lauglin and Ravi Shankar. YouTube
    I'll track that down. Sounds interesting.

I never did that tutorial of how to paste YouTube links, did I? I'll put it on the list!
  • edited November 2022
    Malleem Mahmoud Ghania and Pharoah Sanders - The Trance of Seven Colors

Both are now departed (Sanders very recently), so there may not be any more of this to be had. I love this kind of stuff.
  • Spent a sometime today tracking down Vanilla Fudge tracks( had 3/4 albums on vinyl) one of my favorite bands. Totally enjoyable, not for everyone I'll admit. For me a trip down memory lane and amazing music.
  • Spent a sometime today tracking down Vanilla Fudge tracks( had 3/4 albums on vinyl) one of my favorite bands. Totally enjoyable, not for everyone I'll admit. For me a trip down memory lane and amazing music.
    I don't think I know Vanilla Fudge (the band). I am thoroughly familiar with Vanilla Fudge (the confection), though.
  • You could always compare the two. Though the former does need a trip to YouTube and the latter to your local connectionist. Simples?
  • edited November 2022
    There's a huge amount of the band (not The Band, they're different :) ) on Qobuz. Where do I start?
  • Yes there is a lot by them, makes it tough to recommend one. Maybe try Rock and Roll the album with the white cover and red letters, this was/is a favorite of mine, see if you like it and go from there? Interesting to note when they split the drummer and bass player teamed up with Jeff Beck forming Beck, Bogart and Appice (if you like jeff beck that is) happy listening.
  • Bit of Ry Cooder today, Into the Purple valley, vigilante man and Bona Vista Social Club. Old habits die hard.
  • Good old Ry! He's been with me for many years.
  • William Parker - Universal Tonality

Not on YT, but you can listen on Bandcamp https://williamparker.bandcamp.com/album/universal-tonality, which is where I bought it.

Apologies for the ugliness, folks! It will do you good  :)
  • Just listened to Miles Davies Kind of Blue for the first time. Never really listen to him before, just dribs and dabs. What can I say, it's been around so long and I never knew!
  • You enjoyed it? 

It is the biggest selling jazz album of all time, of course.
  • Yes, very much. 
  • I'm glad you did!
  • Mark Turner and Ethan Iverson - Temporary Kings

Lovely sax/piano duets beautifully recorded by ECM. I've had this a while, and the SMSL DAC has really made it come alive.
  • WARNING negative post.

Today is the first time ever that I've turned off Radio Paradise in disgust of their choice in music.
    Wailing wenches, winging xxxkers and African tribal inspired drivel.....good grief.
  • Is that not the point of Radio Paradise? it offers many versions of music. Also you can choose what you want to listen to.
  • You are, of course, absolutely correct. It's the reason I listen to RP so much in the first place.
    My mood, mixed with much skipping of tracks, amongst an endless procession of music that was annoying me. It just wound me up, it seemed relentless.
    Wrong day, wrong mood.
  • cj66 said:
    WARNING negative post.

Today is the first time ever that I've turned off Radio Paradise in disgust of their choice in music.
    Wailing wenches, winging xxxkers and African tribal inspired drivel.....good grief.
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
  • Jan Garbarek, Miroslav Vitous and Peter Erskine - Star

Nothing on YT. Go to your favourite streaming service.

But there is this live gig:

The album is quintessential ECM. The performances and the recording give me goosebumps. Just on Red Book (I ripped the CD), the dynamic range is almost too much in this room. I wonder if ECM released a 24/96 version.
  • Bonnie Raitt, loads today. Saw her with Ry Cooder at Hammersmith oden many, many years ago and have admired ever since. Great slide guitarist and singer songwriter, gave Cooder a run for his money. 73 years old a few days ago, what a woman, respect.
  • Hall and Oats lots of. Got boohooed on a couple of sites before so its ok if you chaps need to leave the room. Daryl's house you tube tells you all you need to know.
  • Bonnie Raitt, loads today. Saw her with Ry Cooder at Hammersmith oden many, many years ago and have admired ever since. Great slide guitarist and singer songwriter, gave Cooder a run for his money. 73 years old a few days ago, what a woman, respect.
    I saw her with Little Feat (not the Lowell George version) at The Town and Country Club (I think).
  • I believe she had a lot of time around them, especially the lowell days, Backing singer I think on some of the earlier stuff could be wrong?
  • Yes. Lowell and post-Lowell period.
  • uglymusic said:
    Jan Garbarek, Miroslav Vitous and Peter Erskine - Star

Nothing on YT. Go to your favourite streaming service.

But there is this live gig:

The album is quintessential ECM. The performances and the recording give me goosebumps. Just on Red Book (I ripped the CD), the dynamic range is almost too much in this room. I wonder if ECM released a 24/96 version.
    I can't find a 24/96 version. It probably isn't needed.
  • Starting the week with Groove Armada - GA25

• And, because that took me off in a wrong direction after a while, I'm currently playing:

Sonny Rollins - The Bridge

Another one of those albums where guitarist Jim Hall seems to push better-known performers to do some of their best work - his duets with Bill Evans are another example. 
  • edited November 2022
    Etceteral - Rhizome

I'm liking this jazzy/dubby/electronica-ey thing. May get on to the buy list.

There's not much of it on YT, but the whole album is on Qobuz, so probably on other streaming services. And, you can buy and listen on Bandcamp: https://etceteral.bandcamp.com/releases
  • And that led to an old favourite:

The Fully Celebrated - Drunk on the Blood of the Holy Ones

Just a bit on YT, if you don't know it:

Fabulous!

• So, I sat at my desk this morning at 6:45 and added the day's listening into the queue in LMS. For simplicity's sake, it all came from a folder in Qobuz, although I own one or two of the albums. 
    • Etceteral - Rhizome
    • Papa Wemba - Emotion
    • Kokoroko - Could we be more?
    • Johnny Cash - At San Quentin (Live)
    • Charles Lloyd - The Water is Wide (not one of his best, IMHO)
    • Clifton Chenier - Bogalusa Boogie
    • Gang of Four - Entertainment!
    • Nik Baertsch - Awase
    That's 6:26 of music, according to LMS, and I'm about to knock off for the day  :)

Sorry for no links. There's only so much a man can do! 
  • And, to finish the day (after a little Nick Drake), we have:

Herbie Hancock - River: The Joni Letters

Has Norah Jones done anything better? 

The rest of the tracks are there, too.
  • Squeeze, East side Story, a taste for today.
  • Wow. I haven't heard that in years!
  • Taste for today, Rory Gallagher "Blues". One of the great forgotten guitarist.
  • I haven't listened to him for years, either.
  • Today's taste, Albert lee another "forgotten one" I was in a band that opened for Heads Hands and Feet many, many years ago for their debut album. Ealing town hall I recall? Was impressed by him then and still am today. Check out the lineup of H H &feet if you get a chance. 
  • You're finding them!

Chas Hodges leaps out.  :)
  • Yep, just some of the old albums that I picked out from my sons, loving having my old vinyl back. Not to everyone's "taste" I know. Chas Hodges, what can you say, always there somewhere on so Mutch stuff.
  • So here we are, like it or not? Anything Steve Howe. first Yes album amazing playing. Ill end here because the rest are far older than most here. Caleb Quaye, Wes Mongomery, Michael Landau, etc just love a good guitar player.
  • Here's an album with a different kind of guitar...

Sam Gendel - blueblue

I totally love this album. 
  • Been listening a bit to Fully Celebrated , what there is on ytube Hmm... interesting.
  • Been listening a bit to Fully Celebrated , what there is on ytube Hmm... interesting.
    It's great. I love that album. On some tracks, there's that dubby stuff that takes it somewhere else.

Glad you're finding it interesting. Maybe we can move that on to liking  :)  o:)
  • Yep, just some of the old albums that I picked out from my sons, loving having my old vinyl back. Not to everyone's "taste" I know. Chas Hodges, what can you say, always there somewhere on so Mutch stuff.
    Should I know any of the others? Yes, I know, I can Google, but it's more fun to ask  :)