Listening to ...

Comments

• Starting Friday with a bit of left-of-field jazz:

Matthew Shipp - Equilibrium

From 20 years ago, when Shipp and those around him were experimenting with mixing in electronics and hip hop. It's good stuff, even if they eventually gave up and returned to acoustic music. 
  • Burning Spear - Living Dub Vol 3

Good old Mr Spear. Love his music.
  • edited March 2023
    Struggling to find the right music today. Now on this:

Weather Report - I sing the body electric

From about the time of Live in Japan, that I posted recently. And side 2 of this is reputed to come from that album. I've never listened to them one after the other to verify for myself. 
  • OK. I think I'm there (it only took most of a morning).

William Parker Quartet - Petit Oiseau

Sooooo good!
  • My brain says no, my...? says yes. Whats that all about? I have to say it wouldn't be tolerated in this house by others. There again not much is. You keep slipping in these tracks, confusing well done <3
  • It's not so much to stretch your musical credulity, but to show what I'm listening to, as per the thread title.

But I'm really glad you're getting some measure of enjoyment from it. This is some quartet, so you're liking the good stuff  :)
  • Was ever my intention to suggest you post these threads for any other reason than you are listening to them. Sometimes they just really surprise me.
  • Some ACDC  A bit over the top. Fun for me none the less.,Its nice to woken up every now and again.
  • To be followed by Free Fire and Water.
  • Was ever my intention to suggest you post these threads for any other reason than you are listening to them. Sometimes they just really surprise me.
    That's cool  :)
  • Some ACDC  A bit over the top. Fun for me none the less.,Its nice to woken up every now and again.
    My wife has been known to like a bit of AC/DC. 
  • To be followed by Free Fire and Water.
    That, I don't know. 
  • edited April 2023
    London Brew - London Brew

London musicians being inspired by a certain Miles Davis platter more than 50 years on. What I've heard so far is really good. It's not a straightforward tribute, but an album that uses the jam into edited and mixed highlights method that the original did. You can occasionally hear bits of Bitches Brew somewhere in there, too. And it's all the better for it.
  • Likes a bit of AC/DC/ sounds good to me B)
  • I dont know what the weather is like were you are today but here its quite gorgeous. So a bit a bit of  Bruce Hornsby and the Range, Thats The way It is. mmm
  • I dont know what the weather is like were you are today but here its quite gorgeous. So a bit a bit of  Bruce Hornsby and the Range, Thats The way It is. mmm
    It's really nice and sunny! And no cold wind, either  :)
  • I have something to blast those cobwebs away! 

Electric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness

It's a double live CD, but there are only a couple of tracks on YT  :'( I'm not sure if it's on streaming. I have the album. 
  • Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah

Where the great bass player plays, er, piano  :o 

It's still one of my favourite Mingus albums, one I discovered while I was a student. 
  • Electric Masada, does a bit more than blow the cobwebs away :*
  • Electric Masada, does a bit more than blow the cobwebs away :*
    LOL! That's what I like to hear!  :)
  • Morning! I'm starting with a bit of Ghanian music.

King Ayisoba - Work Hard

I've been streaming this on an off for the past couple of weeks. I may even put it on the buy list. 
  • Today Pink Floyd Animals, followed by that other album.... Dark Side of The Moon. 
  • A bit o' retro pop from me yoof innit guv B)

• What can I say.. :wink:
  • Well the pop continues in a very frivolous manner!
    It's Thai new year today, "Songkhran", with parties eeverywhere and lots of water-play. Very silly and simple fun.

Open Spotify and hit the party playlists....

• cj66 said:
    A bit o' retro pop from me yoof innit guv B)

Too good, old man!
  • cj66 said:
    Well the pop continues in a very frivolous manner!
    It's Thai new year today, "Songkhran", with parties eeverywhere and lots of water-play. Very silly and simple fun.

Open Spotify and hit the party playlists....

Happy New Year, Chris!

Enjoy your water play  :o
  • After Madness, we have:

Booker T and the MGs - Green Onions

Is it me, or is there only one great track on the album? 
  • uglymusic said:

London musicians being inspired by a certain Miles Davis platter more than 50 years on. What I've heard so far is really good. It's not a straightforward tribute, but an album that uses the jam into edited and mixed highlights method that the original did. You can occasionally hear bits of Bitches Brew somewhere in there, too. And it's all the better for it.
    I'm still streaming and enjoying this. 
  • Another one on heavy rotation recently.

Kendrick Scott - Corridors

Walter Smith III, on reeds, plays the best I've ever heard him, but all three are brilliant. You have to be in trio format like this. There's nowhere to hide.
  • uglymusic said:
    uglymusic said:

For me, that's far better than the MD original! Take that Bitches!

Crikey, I may even get that...

• uglymusic said:
    Another one on heavy rotation recently.

Almost passes my non jazz ears! Who can refuse some hot sax  >:)
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    uglymusic said:

For me, that's far better than the MD original! Take that Bitches!

Crikey, I may even get that...

That's cool. 

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying it's better. Bitches Brew was an amazing step into the unknown over half a century ago. But London Brew is still pretty fantastic!
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Another one on heavy rotation recently.

Almost passes my non jazz ears! Who can refuse some hot sax  >:)
    Two jazz albums liked by you???? What are you on, my man?  :)

I wouldn't have thought this was for you, at all, Chris. It's deep in what I think of as today's jazz mainstream (I emphasise, that's how I think of it). How wrong I am.

Maybe you're liking it because a piano would tend to be playing those supporting jazz chords? I don't know.
  • edited April 2023
    Must be some nasty fever :D

The London Brew had more of a math rock feel to it, for me at least, rather than the more out-there jazz of the original.

You might be on to something with the lack of cacophonic piano underpinnings (again how I hear it).

• I'll have to listen to London Brew with the idea of math rock in my bonce. I'm wondering if it's more hip hop than math rock, but leave it with me.
  • Stuck in a day with Steve Wonder, no bad thing,in my book.
  • Talking Book?  o:)
  • Spot on, plus Inner Visions B)
  • Paris Texas, by the man.
  • It's a long time since I've listened to RP, but I have 

Radio Paradise, Main Mix

streaming at the moment.
  • Starting the day with:

The Pharaohs - Awakening

The band that eventually metamorphosed into Earth Wind and Fire, the Pharaohs were an unholy mix of early 70s funk and Sun Ra.
  • edited April 2023
    ...and here at cj towers!

I wasn't paying much attention though, when my son walked in and said "what's with the epileptic piano?".....

Duke Ellington Money Jungle....oops!

Anyway, followed by Dave Mason Alone Together....sounds a lot like All Along The Watchtower I thought....looked at RP comments, seems others thought the same. In a good way though, rather liked it.

• Epileptic piano??? There are a few pianists I wouldn't let him near if that's what he thinks of Ellington!  :#

Dave Mason: I don't see a track called Alone Together, but I now have the album on my playlist. I may not get to it today!

• And now, this!

Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek and Egberto Gismonti - Folk Songs

I think you need to find the individual tracks on YT.

It's part of my musical heritage, this one (which reminds me, wasn't I supposed to piece something together for @Simplemind? Sorry about that. I need to get on the case). It came out during my first year at Birmingham University and I bought it on vinyl (what else?). I'm streaming it from Qobuz at the moment. 
  • uglymusic said:

Dave Mason: I don't see a track called Alone Together, but I now have the album on my playlist. I may not get to it today!

Yes, sorry. Track was Look at You Look at Me.

• cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

Yes, sorry. Track was Look at You Look at Me.

Thank you!