Listening to ...

Comments

• edited August 2015
    My song 

Some of this is very good (7.9/10). Absolutely great for driving me to get my bongos out and joining in! :D
    Other bits are a bit...challenging (ugly ;) ) for me (4/10).

Overall, for me the album would be a 6.4. But a single score is an unsatisfactory way of communicating my differing opinions here.

• Colin, I remember this! But had completely forgotten it.
    My Dad used to sing it when I was a boy.
  • It works for me having had a 21st century Napoleon trying to take over my life.

• Charlie Haden & Hampton Hawes - As Long as there's Music

Far from the dreary set of standards suggested by the title, this is a really good CD with both Haden and Hawes in great form.

Are we all doing Ben's /10 ratings here? 8
  • David Torn - Only Sky

And very possibly Only David Torn. His own take on effects-driven electric guitar music. Sometimes a bit ambient, sometimes veering into a more 'pure' electronica, sometimes sounding like a film soundtrack... Recorded live.
  • edited August 2015
    Just arrived.
    Bloody awesome. 8.6 / 10
    (Will listen to the non-dub version of the album later...)
  • I don't know him.

Shall have a look on Tidal.
  • This is one of my favourites of his...

(As usual I like the dub versions of these albums more than the originals! 8-} )
  • I'll give it a listen
  • edited August 2015
    Mr. Hudson again, specifically with Musicology Dub...

So so great... :D

Some of you folks using your Royds will have to report back as to whether this sort of toon loses something in translation to the emaciated and puny language of the mini-driver... ;)

Dave! Forgot to report back on this.
    Thank you! I like it.
    A bit more polished / tidier and vocal than I'd ideally like for this sort of thing, but a worthwhile addition to the library. 6.9.
    Thanks again.
  • Glad it was a good recommendation. 

I think it's pretty cool. Been playing it a lot on Tidal.
  • The Vandermark 5 - Burn the Incline

Rating on the Ben Scale... BS=7.5/10
  • The Vandermark 5 - Elements of Style, Exercises in Surprise

BS=7.5/10
  • That link is 404-ing :-(
  • edited August 2015
    Warning: Ridiculously deep groove ahead!

• Hugo Carvalhais - Nebulosa (2010)

Nominally a piano trio from Portugal, plus guest Tim Berne. But this has a little bit of electronics thrown in too. 

On first play, absolutely gobsmacking! Gotta find some more by these guys, as they're more than a match for Berne.
  • Whilst on the matter of Mr Berne, I've just bought the latest recording from his Snakeoil outfit.

This is probably the best of the three Snakeoil albums. I love the way Berne plays with younger musicians because, as he says, they basically can keep up with his relentless musical evolution. 

• edited August 2015
    Scientist "Scientific Dub"

Edit: Score 7.9
  • BS rating?
  • Sorry Dave. Have edited post.
    It's good. Have ordered some more of his stuff (there's loads!).
  • Yeah. Piles of stuff.
  • edited August 2015
    Nils Petter Molvaer - Streamer (Live)

Ben - try this when you get on Tidal http://tidal.com/album/27121967

It's a bit of Scandi you may like.
  • Having dipped my toe into FFD for a bit of nostalgia, I found myself here:

Your sort of stuff Ben?
  • Gil Evans - Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix

Nostalgia Friday!
  • Dire straits, Brothers in Arms. What an old classic !
  • Liking the weather report there Dave
  • It's fantastic stuff, isn't it James. I think the whole gig is on YouTube.
  • edited August 2015
    Bill Laswell - Into The Outlands

First play (on Tidal) and this seems to be Mr L at his very best. Leaning into jazz from his usual dubby centre, he then adds a band of traditional Korean drummers. And it works!

PLAY LOUD!!!! :-D
  • This could have been made for Chews :-)

Jah Wobble's Invaders of the Heart - Rising Above Bedlam
  • Jah Wobble - Deep Space

I must listen to this on the big system.
  • Material - Secret Life

Another Bill Laswell nom de plume. 
  • The Lounge Lizards - Voice of Chunk

One of the Lizards' best outings. But then I've always loved them more than the Jazz Police would want to allow me to ;-)
  • Wayne Horvitz and Zony Mash - Upper Egypt
  • I think they've put something in the water. I'm listening to - and enjoying - the Grateful Dead!

Please send help.
  • edited September 2015
    imageimage
    For obvious reasons.
  • edited September 2015
    I just noticed 'for obvious reasons'. Now thinking about other music that might be in(appropriate).

But, while I think about that, I'm listening to:

Jim Black Trio - Actuality (in HD)
  • Steely Dan....... Gaucho!
  • edited September 2015
    (As you can see, dread locks and a palm tree make bayonetting and tanks... OK...)

Tom Hill & The Straitjackets.

Have known Tom for a fair few years but finally got round to hearing him play with (one of) his band(s) last night. Then wondered why the hell it had taken me so long. 
    Malvern is having a mini jazz weekend. The Straitjackets (named after the Yellowjackets with Tom's usual sense of humour - his "day job" is voice over actor and stand up comedian) had been allotted an odd choice of venue, as the bar's usual "god, are they really 18?" clientele found their bodies moving in all new ways to the alien propulsive rhythms, melodic freedom,ricochetting solos and barely held together chaotic ensembles of fusion jazz. Band and stunned kids both highly entertaining.
    A superb, engaging and fun night, best summed up in the words of Tom's most immediately recognisable TV persona: The Straitjackets?......They're Grrreat !

Disappointed that I can't get to his second spot this weekend, this time with guitarist Remi Harris at the rather more civilised Abbey Hotel. 2pm start today if anyone's in the area.

• Nice.
    Make the most of what you can get to!
  • Nice indeed 
    Free too. Even nicer 
    :D
  • Ooh. I like a bit of Free Jazz :-D
  • Paul Dunmall & Paul Rogers - Folks

Reeds and double bass, plus a bit of vocals on a track or two. Very nice. Won't upset the neighbours.