Normal service restored? A new Raspberry Pi 4 8GB is in my hands

edited August 2023 in Digital
As scarce as hen's teeth, they've been, Raspberry Pis. For too long.

I glanced at rpilcator.com on Sunday and noticed there were some useful RPis available in the UK (not the weird stuff like RPi 4A 512KB or whatever they are) and ordered an 8GB 4 (you can still only order one (on Pi Hut, anyway)). It arrived about 30 minutes ago.

I'm going to try it as my LMS server, as I know 2GB is slower than 4GB and I can't run enough AirPlay instances. So, I've been wondering about stepping up to the full-fat 8GB model. More to follow.

Comments

• Have many times toyed with the idea of Rpi but never quite gathered enough interest to do it.
    I currently rarely play from file, mostly streaming on the secondary system...

One day.
  • edited August 2023
    Each to our own, as always.

I'm 100% streaming - local and Qobuz. 99% of that is at least Red Book. And it's all done with an RPi and some network storage.

I'm thinking of installing a server for streaming audio from YT without playing ads. But that won't be on the LMS RPi. Possibly on another one. The idea is to run the minimum number of processes on each machine to keep SQ as high as I can.

Edit: I also stream Radio Paradise and Sam streams Spotify. I also have internet radio set up, but I never listen to it.
  • Are you going to treat the Rpi to super dooper linear PSU(s)?
    I wonder if Colin has something up his sleeve for that ;)
  • It already has a linear power supply, which made an amazing difference to the entire system (I have written about this on Chews).

Colin was making a multi PSU for the main rig, but his health intervened. Maybe he has an idea for a super-duper standalone PSU for the server RPi. 
  • edited August 2023
    If you're going to set up an RPi 4 server (or combined server/streamer), get yourself an 8GB version (unless you have a very small collection of FLACs). 

My new 8GB Pi runs significantly faster than the 4GB (we won't mention the 2GB one because it works, but only at its own speed!), using the same processor. I wonder if it sounds better, too? I haven't yet turned on cpuset, and playback sounds even more alive. 

I know it sounds potty, but that's the way it is. I wasn't expecting any SQ improvements. 
  • Here's why I need the 8GB RPi for my server:

Snakeoil OS is taking more than 4GB for its cache, alone.

• uglymusic said:
    It already has a linear power supply, which made an amazing difference to the entire system (I have written about this on Chews).

Colin was making a multi PSU for the main rig, but his health intervened. Maybe he has an idea for a super-duper standalone PSU for the server RPi. 
    What current do you need PCB's arrived forgot to tell you busy with Hospital crap.
    SEE TINY AMP
  • AntiCrap said:
    uglymusic said:
    It already has a linear power supply, which made an amazing difference to the entire system (I have written about this on Chews).

What current do you need PCB's arrived forgot to tell you busy with Hospital crap.
    SEE TINY AMP
    See answer on TINY AMP  :)
  • edited August 2023
    cj66 said:
    Are you going to treat the Rpi to super dooper linear PSU(s)?
    I wonder if Colin has something up his sleeve for that ;)
    It has 4 outputs USB all independent and filtered from each other except the 0V 
    Max current each is 3.5A but could be more if requested to a max of 20A mmmm nice.
    Max ripple and noise Less Than 100uV at 3.5A

Just need a nice chassis design of the shelf is best, cost wise.
  • I'll be in touch, Col.
  • The cache grows as I use the server:

I'm wondering if this will continue to increase until it pushes the 8GB ceiling and whether the cache is related to LMS or Snakeoil OS.
  • It just faster digital lies Dave honest.
    Now done all 4 HIP kits PCB's being printed now.
    The USB C power connector is far to hard to fit on power amp, not easy by hand so not fitted .
  • Use that most analogue of tools, Col, a large hammer. I'm sure you'll make it fit  :) 
  • I found Dave's, tool box for every job, online....

B)
  • What's that yellow thing?

• This will make the bass seem real and a Bigger Bang for your Pi,
    KILL DIGITAL LIES DEAD
  • Dave had a lovely chat with the Italian company Modshop, they are going to do the chassis for all the HIP kits. PCB,s here next week yippee new toys mmmm nice. 
  • AntiCrap said:

This will make the bass seem real and a Bigger Bang for your Pi,
    KILL DIGITAL LIES DEAD
    Murderer!  :)
  • AntiCrap said:
    Dave had a lovely chat with the Italian company Modshop, they are going to do the chassis for all the HIP kits. PCB,s here next week yippee new toys mmmm nice. 
    I never took you for a HIPpy, Col  B)  o:)  :D

Sounds good, though.

I'll give you a bell soon, so we can catch up.
  • Just need some lightning and we'll be hearing Colin screaming "It lives, mruhahahaa..."
  • Come on Dave I am old but not that old, only 70yrs 3mth. And you never got me a Pi (Apple not Andriod) Just a XP
  • You're still on XP??? :)
  • Yes my CAD package hates all the other so I keep a 20+Yrs PC on XP64 just for that, this Lap top is Window ?? and the library one is again Window ?? 
  • I hope the one running XP isn't on your network.
  • edited October 2023
    Dave no chance 2500 circuit idea and design for boat engines and new patent stuff, and to be kept really safe pictures of you dancing at our wedding. 
    Blackmail next week OK?? B)

Oh and if anybody is interested all the cable designs I have done for TQ going free as the new cable is far better. And I should understand that as I designed it all.
  • No one should be subjected to pictures of me dancing  :#
  • To late.