One4Audio dual mono SECA amp

One4Audio dual mono power amp.

Built by myself back in 2015.

2 x 225va with 66,000uf smoothing caps per channel.

Output is around 18w p/c but plays much louder then this would suggest.!

Very little use. In excellent condition.

Transformers buzz a bit, but my mains here is crap. Noise through speakers though is minimal.

Sounds lovely, and is a good introduction to Colins single ended class A designs.

Runs hot (approx 45-50 deg c) and is very heavy despite the modest dimensions.

£350 posted

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156490168@N08/

Comments

• That'll be a great buy for someone, Paul.
  • Buzz in the TX.
    Fill the centre of the TX with "hot melt glue" stop most of the wire vibration thus a lot less mmmmmmmm
  • Who knew?

I may have a need for that tip, Colin (not on my amps, I hasten to add!).
  • edited April 2023
    Ive got a big pot of epoxy here, but didn't really work on some Talemas that I potted years ago, so reluctant to try
    that again. 

Lowering the bias makes them quieter, but then the amp doesn't sound quite as nice.! 

Not really a problem tbh, but might annoy some people which is why I mentioned it. 

• Still very much enjoying my build of this amp. GLWS Paul; a bargain for someone.
  • edited April 2023
    I really enjoyed building this one along with yourself and the others who did so.

Will make a great amp for someone.! 

• I do want this, but I must resist...

.. At least until the car is fixed!! 

Paul, of you are prepared to wait a month, I'm your man. Don't tell my wife...
  • edited April 2023
    Alan said:
    I do want this, but I must resist...

.. At least until the car is fixed!! 

Paul, of you are prepared to wait a month, I'm your man. Don't tell my wife...
    No problem Alan. It's all yours

I'm sure you can sneak the wee beast
     in past your good lady.! 

• No No No Alan I am going to tell wife the boss you have to many Amps, bad man.
    Take the ID1P pre instead.
  • AntiCrap said:

Take the ID1P instead
  • The ID1P dies with me  >:) :D
  • Fantastic, thank you!

It is going to be a reservist along with my impulse H2, for an eventual workshop/showroom system. Is a beautiful looking build, Paul. 👏👏👏
  • edited April 2023
    Your welcome. Thanks Alan.  :)

I think the baby SECA will drive the efficient H2's a treat  B)

• That ID1P looks an awesome pre amp. 
  • edited April 2023
    That ID1P looks an awesome pre amp. 
    I've had a few what I would call high end (for me anyway) preamps here including Avondale Audio Graduation 1,Conrad Johnson (can't remember model) , Naim Nac 52 etc and the ID1P just has that extra something that nothing else I've heard yet has. 

Ive had it for 15 years now. Added remote volume control (sorry Col.!) recapped it, and fitted a new source selector switch last week, and it's now sounding better then ever. 

It must be getting on for near 40 years old now, and I feel very lucky to own it. 

• quickie said:
    That ID1P looks an awesome pre amp. 
    I've had a few what I would call high end (for me anyway) preamps here including Avondale Audio Graduation 1,Conrad Johnson (can't remember model) , Naim Nac 52 etc and the ID1P just has that extra something that nothing else I've heard yet has. 

Ive had it for 15 years now. Added remote volume control (sorry Col.!) recapped it, and fitted a new source selector switch last week, and it's now sounding better then ever. 

It must be getting on for near 40 years old now, and I feel very lucky to own it. 

Jealous? Me?  o:)
  • Sounds good to me. I have never seen another one so I take it col didn't make many. 
  • Each plug in PCB was a SECA amp OK low power, there was only 6 made,2 are in Belgium the rest hidden away.
    Pauls was the first made, but he will not let me have it back, what a rotter  :D  
  • I love you more then the ID1P though Col  :)
  • Yes it dose sound like a good pre one may pop up one day. 
  • quickie said:
    I love you more then the ID1P though Col  :)
    That's nice have you got the new workshop up yet?  :D
  • edited April 2023
    The lovely Julie has started planting flowers  :#
  • quickie said:
    That's nice  >:)
  • quickie said:
    You'll be needing an underground bunker, my friend. :|

My place gets so hot, even in March (and equally quick to get cold, but I prefer that) that I thought I would try something to cut the inducted heat:

So far it seems very much improved - there is plenty of radiated heat from the roof but it is easily ventilated. The workshop is definitely cooler now, and the shade makes computer work so much easier. 

Last summer it was so hot that a batch of heatshrink was ruined as it started recovering!

Anyway this is the business end after a tidy-up (the other side is racking):

Toothless has stolen my chair again, but Mr Spock watches from his lofty position: 

Mind you, Teddy the Lurcher (business manager) will soon chase them away!
  • Scary guys round your gaff.
  • Love the chair (it reminds me of my Porsche) as does Toothless  :p
  • edited April 2023
    Alan I used in make shift library loft two sided Aluminium foil with insulation sandwiched between, out side the enclosed temp was 43C last summer inside was only 28C.
    Have I shown it to you yet.???
  • I think so Col, it looks great as I remember.

I have used 'campervan' insulation, double sided foil with - essentially - bubble wrap sandwiched. It has to be temporary and easy to remove, remember this is a rental. It all peels off again, and an hour with isopropyl will remove any glue on the roof panels.
  • We haven't had a great bit of thread drift for ages. Keep it up chaps  B)
  • Ready when you are Mr Brown :smile:
  • Alan has just got Paddington to visit and he is making cable. :)
    Paul did PCB arrive?
    It said on tracking it had did the cat eat it again?
    I have none left so will need to get another few made.

Best Col
  • edited May 2023
    Morning Col, 

Nothing arrived here at Newport Towers I'm afraid 🙁

I posted 100 of those ceramic insulators to you on Friday :smile:
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you I got them today, OK will sort another PCB out for you.

This time I send them Parcel Force.

Watch out for PDF of cct.

Best Col
  • edited June 2023
    Thanks Col.

Can you ask Alan to pop by here, or reply to my email  :) 

• edited June 2023
     :)