Sometimes it takes a while... Or I have a Linear Power Supply on my RPi server...

In February 2022, I mentioned that I wanted to try upgrading the standard RPi switch-mode wall wart what-have-you to a linear PSU. So that was going to be 'the next thing'. But, as with many of these ideas, I got sidetracked into many things, hardware and software.

So, about three or four weeks ago, I ordered a Chinese LPSU from eBay. Not the cheapest, because they can't supply the current the RPi 4 can draw.  

Now I've added a second cheap upgrade to the house system that has made a huge (by hi-fi standards - John Darko often has something to say about what huge means in hi-fi) step forward for my systems. Of course, the software is only cheap if I don't include my time, BTW! 

I've said something about the improvements from Snakeoil OS in the Snakeoil OS thread. Well, the LPSU has brought back the remaining soundstage, sharpened up the imaging, and proved some of what I thought were dodgy bits of engineering/production weren't! I have more air than I ever had in the main system and a soundstage in my near-field office system.

I'm wondering if I'm mad considering a linear supply for my NAS drive.

But the DAC will come first.

Comments

• "I'm wondering if I'm mad considering a linear supply for my NAS drive."

No, no madness here. A sadly departed virtual friend from Oz went down the route of swapping ALL power supplies in computer based gear, anything that effected the audio chain was given a good quality linear psu, these he built himself.

His focused goal was to obtain the best digital recordings and he acheived remarkable results, proven with before and after recordings for each stage.

I tried some of what he did and have to report that I had the same results, as far as I went.

He shared his results mainly on what was called (another name now Edit.. looked it up "Audiophile Style" now) Computer Audiophile. Of course there were the Bits-is-Bits dissenters who vigorously dismissed his claims but that's the name of the game.
    His handle there was SandyK.
  • cj66 said:
    "I'm wondering if I'm mad considering a linear supply for my NAS drive."

No, no madness here. A sadly departed virtual friend from Oz went down the route of swapping ALL power supplies in computer based gear, anything that effected the audio chain was given a good quality linear psu, these he built himself.

His focused goal was to obtain the best digital recordings and he acheived remarkable results, proven with before and after recordings for each stage.

I tried some of what he did and have to report that I had the same results, as far as I went.

He shared his results mainly on what was called (another name now Edit.. looked it up "Audiophile Style" now) Computer Audiophile. Of course there were the Bits-is-Bits dissenters who vigorously dismissed his claims but that's the name of the game.
    His handle there was SandyK.
    SandyK went where I am going, then. Thanks for this, Chris, it's given me more to think about. Fixing stuff around the server benefits all the audio around the house, so a new PSU for the NAS - and possibly a new build NAS that only does audio file serving (I'll need to Google if anyone has built such a thing) - is what I'm thinking at the moment.

So, I need to add all that to my planned Ethernetting of the house. Money and time. Hmm.

Maybe I need to learn how to build electronics projects!

And, please, Bits-is-Bits dissenters, if you're reading this. It's my money and my enjoyment. I'm not listening unless you really have anything new to say. And, by the nature of your argument, there can't be anything new to say (ducks!).  :)

I'll try to find the posts on Audiophile Style.
  • Talk about a rabbit hole @cj66 !
  • Oh yes ;)
  • I may be some time!  :# 
  • Hmm. Mulling over building a simple RPi-based file server for my audio files (not audiophiles, you'll note :s ) with another basic LPSU, just to see where it takes me. Minimising the processes (I have so much running on my main NAS) may well be a step in the right direction. 
  • I guess I might also need a separate LPSU for the disk. Not so simple. No so cheap, either.
  • Sorry about coming back here again, but the LPSU on the RPi 4 server is still astonishing me. It's one of those upgrades that gives a continuing tingle from so many recordings on all of the audio setups throughout the house, and costs (by hifi standards) very little. 

I wonder what I need to pay for a linear PSU for my LMS box before there are no improvements? That could be an expensive rabbit hole!
  • To quote the original Disney Jungle Book soundtrack...

Go on, go on....