Who's your favourite base player.

Been playing 3/4 Stanley Clark albums today, I wonder who do you favour. I love rhythm sections in bands and surely nothing drives them better than the base? ok bow my head to the drummer, maybe next review. Not saying S. Clark is my favourite. Do you have one?

Comments

• As an  addition to my prev post, I  would say that Little Feat and also The Block Heads fill my  bill for rhythm sections. Easy to tell my age from this post!
  • Stanley Clarke: I like the album called, simply, Stanley Clarke, with Tony Williams on drums.

Electric bassists? Jaco Pastorius. He had everything - feel, drive, funkiness, technique, sound...

Others? Steve Swallow, the jazz bassist. Plays a five-string with real feel. Doug Wimbish for his deep dubby thing. I could spend all day thinking of others. They were just off the top of my head.

Upright bassists? One above all others: Charles Mingus. Like John Coltrane and Elvin Jones (individually), say, he still sounds astonishing today. Dave Holland, Anders Jormin, Michael Formanek, Barry Guy, William Parker...

Does that move us along a bit?  :)
  • Well, you did ask  :)
  • Spelling police have arrived.

In baseball statistics, on-base percentage (OBP) is a measure of how often a batter reaches base for any reason other than a fielding error, fielder's choice, dropped or uncaught third strike, fielder's obstruction, or catcher's interference. OBP is calculated in Major League Baseball (MLB) by dividing the sum of hits, walks, and times hit by a pitch by the sum of at-bats, walks, times hit by pitch and sacrifice flies.[1] A hitter with a .400 on-base percentage is considered to be great[2] and rare;[3] only 61 players in MLB history with at least 3,000 career plate appearances (PA) have maintained such an OBP. Left fielder Ted Williams, who played 19 seasons for the Boston Red Sox, has the highest career on-base percentage, .4817, in MLB history.

>:)

On thread I'll add Chris Squire and Geezer Butler, maybe add Flea and Mark King too.
    No doubt there are many others but I  tend to listen to the drummer more than the bassist.

• Fanks four the speling cheqe  o:)
  • Of course, Flea. Add that man to the list!  :)
  • John Deacon.
  • Larry Graham; Scott La Faro.
  • Thomas Morgan
  • Sting, the more I hear the more I like, Jack Bruce, similar. Lately, Victor Wooten.
  • James Jamerson. Can't leave him out.
  • Been playing 3/4 Stanley Clark albums today, I wonder who do you favour. I love rhythm sections in bands and surely nothing drives them better than the base? ok bow my head to the drummer, maybe next review. Not saying S. Clark is my favourite. Do you have one?
    Been playing 3/4 Stanley Clark albums today, I wonder who do you favour. I love rhythm sections in bands and surely nothing drives them better than the base? ok bow my head to the drummer, maybe next review. Not saying S. Clark is my favourite. Do you have one?
    Ditto I had put up twice.  o:)
  • AntiCrap said:
    Ditto I had put up twice.  o:)
    So good they named it twice?
  • Wilton Felder. How could I have forgotten him?

Paul Jackson. I’m just listening to him now, with Herbie Hancock. Astonishing!
  • Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen. I like bassists!
  • Bass players are a bit like....... well you know the rest, every band has one. Paul Jackson, Herbie Hancock you cant go wrong. which track/album are you listening to?
  • I was listening to Flood, the Japanese live album.
  • Thundercat!
  • Skeletor! Had to google that, never heard of him. Will put that right over the coming days.
  • Skeletor? I had to Google him    :o 

• Danny Thompson! How could I have forgotten him?
  • In no particular order:

Steve Scipio (Cymande)
    Jack Bruce
    Mani (The Stone Roses)
    Paul McCartney (1965-69)
  • Docfoster said:
    In no particular order:

Steve Scipio (Cymande)
    Jack Bruce
    Mani (The Stone Roses)
    Paul McCartney (1965-69)
    No surprises there, then!
  • I would like to add Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads and Mick Karn of Japan, the late 70's and 80's wouldn't have been the same without them, not for me anyway!
  • Great choices!