Does LMS chew up your microSD card?

edited May 2022 in Digital
I don't think any of the forum regulars run Logitech Media Server on any platform, but just in case anyone comes across this, here's what's been happening with my LMS instance on an RPi4.
I've written before about how I now have LMS running on an RPi4 with 4GB RAM after Synology and the LMS crew both declined to support it on the latest Syno operating system, DSM 7.
It was really happy on the RPi, to begin with. But over time, I noticed how reboots were taking longer and longer, and reindexing seemed to be doing the same (although less dramatically).
Yesterday, after I met a brick wall with the sub (see elsewhere here), I decided to rebuild my LMS installation from scratch on a fresh card. It's back to running like a dream.
So what went wrong? Some thoughts (yours welcome, too):
  • LMS has given the microSD card a hard time. I always use high spec SanDisk cards on my RPis, and I know they're usually reliable, but I can't say if the card I used last time was brand new. But the received wisdom from some parts of the Interwebs is that SD cards are not as reliable as conventional disk storage (rust or SSD)
  • We've had a couple of blips in electricity supply, which may have buggered up LMS (technical term, there)
  • An update or two may have been less than happy
  • User error somewhere along the line
I'll see how the new installation runs over the coming months.