What's New?

edited February 2022 in Say hello
Hi all,

I dip in and out of forums so sometimes won't post for a while. Time to catch up: I hope you are all well?

I do post more frequently at pfm, simply because there are some threads there about Colin's cables and amplifiers and we hosted a 'tour' of demo cables. By the way - if anyone wants to hear some of Colin's recent cable stuff, let me know. It does all feel a little like my hobby is becoming work though, I don't seem to post for fun very frequently. I was alarmed to see I have been a member of the first forum I joined for fifteen years now!

In the year or so since I last looked into 'Chews, my system has remained quite static. I still love my SMSL M-400 DAC, that was my last new addition. The rest is still Revel loudspeakers, Colin cables, Colin amplifiers.

I added a TT when the opportunity presented itself. I wanted, ideally, a Garrard like last time, modified Lenco, Nottingham Analogue, or most of all a Thorens TD124. I'm never going to have an extensive record collection, but I really miss having a turntable for occasional use, and more frequently to look at. But those TTs are too expensive for occasional use.

I got a very tidy, still boxed Sony PS-6570 for a good price, added a Denon DL-110 and a ceramic headshell to get started, and now Robert is my mother's brother! I need to find some nice (or ugly) jazz records etc at my leisure. It sounds very good indeed, now I have taken a second stab at balancing the tonearm, really as spot on as the digital side; the only obvious difference being the mastering on the recording (which is obviously different for vinyl, especially in the bass). Colin heard it last week and he did not laugh out loud, which was nice. Actually that may be because the EWA pre I am using has an extraordinarily good phono stage, one I believe he is very proud of.

The other thing, I bought some Impulse Ta'us (basically facelifted H2) for an amazing price. I cannot use them right now, the living room will not let them do their thing the way we have things set up. But I have dry storage for ABCaudio, they live in there at the moment in the hope we get set up in a workshop away from home in the future. I cannot wait to hear them, perhaps driven by Colin's little A-40 amplifier.

In other, frankly more important, news, we all got Covid, we all recovered from Covid, we got a dog: Teddy, the lurcher.

What is new with you, pussycats?

Comments

• Nothing hi-fi hardware-wise since the DigiOne Signature. Although I bought an RPi 4 to run Logitech Media Server as it's no longer supported directly on the Syno - LMS is much happier there. Next step is to buy a linear power supply for the Pi to see if that makes any hq improvement as some claim.

I'm very jealous of your Impulses, BTW.  
  • uglymusic said:
    Nothing hi-fi hardware-wise since the DigiOne Signature. Although I bought an RPi 4 to run Logitech Media Server as it's no longer supported directly on the Syno - LMS is much happier there. Next step is to buy a linear power supply for the Pi to see if that makes any hq improvement as some claim.

Dave send info on PSU for Apple Pi thing I may have a reg already done.
  • uglymusic said:
    Nothing hi-fi hardware-wise since the DigiOne Signature. Although I bought an RPi 4 to run Logitech Media Server as it's no longer supported directly on the Syno - LMS is much happier there. Next step is to buy a linear power supply for the Pi to see if that makes any hq improvement as some claim.

Sounds like a fun thing to test! I think Alan Elsdon found real improvements doing that with his Pi.

I had to jump at the Impulses, I never saw such nice ones at such a low price. I just hope they get some use sooner rather than later! What's the word for a snap, spur of moment purchase decision, based on emotion rather than careful considered thought? 

You will be most welcome to hear the, of course.
  • AntiCrap said:
    uglymusic said:

Dave send info on PSU for Apple Pi thing I may have a reg already done.

Shall do, Colin. Thanks.
  • Alan said:
    uglymusic said:

Sounds like a fun thing to test! I think Alan Elsdon found real improvements doing that with his Pi.

I had to jump at the Impulses, I never saw such nice ones at such a low price. I just hope they get some use sooner rather than later! What's the word for a snap, spur of moment purchase decision, based on emotion rather than careful considered thought? 

You will be most welcome to hear the, of course.

Certainly, the linear PSU helps the DigiOne Signature along. Makes a big difference, actually.

The idea here is to see if a linear PSU will help the server. It may well do because LMS does some processing.

Madness? :)

I'd love to hear the Impulses.
  • It will be interesting to learn what a LPSU does to your server.

There are some nice H6 in ok condition on eBay at the moment, the less than perfect aesthetics mean they could be a bargain (they are not bad by any means).

I hope the RR3 are still doing the business for you? How are things in LA'?
  • Yeah. I'm thinking a 50/50 chance of audible improvement.

I'll skip the H6s, thanks, Alan.

The RR3s are still making some lovely noises here. They're not really on the replacement list. The Young is the next in the main rig when I have some hi-fi funds. 

We're surfin', surfin' West Sus-sex (it just about scans). 
  • Those little Royds will get harder and harder to find, given how fragile they actually are. Keep the magic alive! For as long as possible.

Did you never get tempted by the whole Roon thing? I like the idea a lot, just not the subscription model. That said, I did buy a lovely fanless computer built just for Roon a year ago, but I haven't turned it on yet!

Hope all of us are ok in this wind today! Just had our first power fluctuation of the day...
  • I'm not sure about fragile. I've not been able to do them any harm despite playing loud reggae and double bass through them!

Roon costs too much (hardware and subscription/outright purchase) for what it delivers, IMO. I'm really happy with LMS. Have you seen what a properly set up LMS system does?

So far no power problems or internet instability today. Had internet foibles yesterday.

Stay safe!
  • I spoke with Jim Kempton yesterday, he sends his regards to one and all. He is now running huge Naim DBL loudspeakers with an active crossover and multi amps. He has certainly been through some interesting stuff over the years! 

I bought a cheapie used Ortofon cartridge for my TT (an M20 FL super) to swap my Denon DL-110, bit I think I realized I can't be bothered to swap them over and faff with arms again, at least not yet.
  • edited March 2022
    Wow! That's a turnaround.
    That faff thing is one of the reasons I drifted away from vinyl. Although only one of the reasons. I hope you get the enthusiasm to mess about with it sometime soon.
  • I miss record players. 

My Pink Triangle Anniversary with Original Kuzma Stogi arm, and a Kiseki Agate Ruby cartridge was stunning. 

In other news I bought a lovely pair of Royd Minstrels in walnut a few weeks ago, and they are making some decent noises running off my A40 in my parents living room.! 

• I miss my Dais and Keiski Blue (spelling wrong) A lovely TT for Tom Fletcher 
  • edited March 2022
    I have a comparatively lowly Mantra, in a box, RB250 that needs a rewire and a couple of humble cartridges.
    I keep saying I'm going to sort it but still have not.
    The best deck I owned in the past was Xerxes original, HR100MCS, Lydian mki.
    That's a deck I would eagerly set up again.
    However, Quickie's PT Anni would outshine it by some margin!
    I never did hear a Dais...
  • quickie said:
    I miss record players. 

My Pink Triangle Anniversary with Original Kuzma Stogi arm, and a Kiseki Agate Ruby cartridge was stunning. 

In other news I bought a lovely pair of Royd Minstrels in walnut a few weeks ago, and they are making some decent noises running off my A40 in my parents living room.! 

Royd Minstrels always make decent noises as long as you drive them with something nice, IMHO.
  • edited March 2022
    cj66 said:
    I have a comparatively lowly Mantra, in a box, RB250 that needs a rewire and a couple of humble cartridges.
    I keep saying I'm going to sort it but still have not.
    The best deck I owned in the past was Xerxes original, HR100MCS, Lydian mki.
    That's a deck I would eagerly set up again.
    However, Quickie's PT Anni would outshine it by some margin!
    I never did hear a Dais...

A Dais, I don't even know.
    The only turntable I ever really wanted was one of those Townsend thingies.
  • Max turntables lovely stuff, clever guy.
  • His speakers too...
  • Yeah, but it was the TTs that always got me by the wotsits (not the cheesy ones).