ordinaryman

I have been purchasing vinyl since my mid teens. the very early stuff I purchased is long gone, thanks to a loan to a family member, lots of Mowtown, soul and blues, that's life I think. Bear in mind I was born in 1950, so the mid 60s was about when I started. Along with that a lot of live stuff that I enjoyed. The sum of which is I have a reasonable collection of LPs. On asking both my daughter and son if they would like to have them the reply was consistent, No thank you , although that's what they were brought up with. I find it interesting that my children can find anything they want via the web and so have no interest in the physical aspect, let alone the sound. We are strange, those who purchased, kept, collected those spinning bits of vinyl. I for one rejoice!

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Interesting story. We all have different relationships with our music collections, I guess. Vinyl collecting has revived over the past 10 years, while I sold a 500+ vinyl collection back in the late 90s because I was getting a better sound from digital (old argument, of course). 

I have no plans to buy a turntable and go back to collecting vinyl. But, at the other end, I've not found internet streaming satisfactory, either.

That's because I can't get as good a sound from Spotify, Tidal and the like as I can from my own music. My music is on a NAS drive mainly as FLAC files and streamed locally.

Then there's the problem of having music availability in the hands of the record and streaming companies. I've had albums I want to listen disappear from streaming, presumably because they've been deleted; I haven't been able to buy a copy after they've gone from streaming.

I also have a different relationship with albums I've actually bought. I enjoy them more, somehow.
    So I continue to buy digital music - at least, the stuff I want to listen to seriously on the big rig.

And, when I go, I guess my collection will go to Thelonious, my dog. 

• Vinyl for me is almost like a diary, a journal of where I was and what was happening in my life at that time, plus some of the most splendid art on the covers, so tactile. Sad as that may sound! A pain to store I know. It has been such an important part of my life that I could not contemplate parting with it in my time even though I listen to it less and less these days, shaky hands, poor eyesight etc.
  • I know the 'music as a diary' thing. I have that with the music I have.
    My music is on the NAS drive so that I can sidestep the storage issue. So are my wife's movies. And digitised photographic negatives. The physical stuff goes out of sight under the bed and in the loft.
    If I had a dedicated hi-fi room, maybe the CDs would be shelved there, but when it comes to it, they are just clutter when the music is on the small black box.
    Sorry to hear about your shaky hands and bad eyesight. Maybe streaming might be a feasible solution with a decent-sized screen as a controller? Not a 'you must go digital' pitch, BTW, I'm just thinking of an easier way of playing music for you.
  • Would be open to what you suggest. At the moment I am using a Ipad to view music on YouTube via Chromecast audio and enjoy it. Unfortunately I'm not that up on technology (don't get old) and whilst I enjoy it, the experience is still not quite as good. If I could get close to the vinyl and I could equal that with something simple, then yes I would! Thank you for taking an interest
  • An iPad is a great place to start. The problem with YT is that the sound quality is a bit ropey (a technical term used in the digital world, you'll understand :) ). Same with Spotify. 
    I don't know what your hi-fi setup is, but I'm sure you could get something that you'll be happy to listen to.
  • NVA AP30 mainly , purchased from someone here but with other options,.Roksan Kandy ,Rega Mira and old Mission cyrus 1. Speakers, Arcam 2, NVA cubbetts, Dynaudio audiance. Nva ls3 and ssc connectors. Oh and linn Lp12.