Favour

edited December 2021 in Other stuff
I'm hoping some of you lovely people might be willing and able to do me a favour.
I've been putting together a website for my artwork. I'd be grateful for any feedback on it. On any aspect whatsoever.
I've spent time working on both the PC and mobile designs, so it should work on whatever you use.
A couple of things:
1. I'm currently using the free Wix platform so there's no getting away from their banner advert at the top.
2. There is some duplication of work across the "Portfolio" and "Project" sections. I had a lengthy chat with my college tutor and we decided to go for this dual approach...artistically the "Project" cataloguing probably works better, but the website also needs to function for this year's college assessment and the markers want to see the work by year.
3. Most of the images are fine, but I do want to get better photos of a few, so some look a bit disappointing (to me).
Anyway, thanks in advance if you can grab a look and as I say, all feedback welcome on layout, usability, whatever,....

https://artbenbishop.wixsite.com/index/

Comments

• Fantastic work, Ben, just fantastic.

I don't see any problem with duplicating the work, but I wonder if there's a structural problem with the site as it stands.

Can I ask why the home page is at https://artbenbishop.wixsite.com/portfolio rather than https://artbenbishop.wixsite.com
  • Probably because I made an error.
    :-D
    i May be able to change it.
    should I?
  • And thank you!
  • Docfoster said:
    Probably because I made an error.
    should I?
    You should change it. Yes.
    And if you can't see how to change it, I'm happy to look. 
  • Docfoster said:
    And thank you!
    No problem.
  • uglymusic said: 
    Docfoster said:
    should I?
    Thank you Dave,
    I’ll have a look.
    will I need to relist / reindex with Mr Google?
  • Done linked it also to my forum SECA page, lovely woman I borrowed from you site, my favourite actress. sigh sigh sigh
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said: 
    Docfoster said:
    should I?
    Thank you Dave,
    I’ll have a look.
    will I need to relist / reindex with Mr Google?
    Google will come along again soon. Don't worry.
  • Look like I need some sort of suffix,,,
    What would be best?

• edited December 2021
    The usual default for a website's home page is /index (or /index.html if your website shows .html, which doesn't appear your does).
    You'll need to build a home page.

• Thanks for your time with this Dave. :-)
    So I should change the page from /portfolio to /index ?
  • Isn't there another page off of /portfolio?
  • I think there can be.
    i can create whatever page I want off /portfolio.
    so create a page /portfolio/index and make that the homepage…?
  • Don't do that!
    I need to have another look at your site. Please bear with me, it may not be today.
  • Absolutely no rush Dave.
    I'm grateful. :-)
  • You've done it!
    That's great. Exactly what I was going to recommend you did.
  • What have I done?
  • edited December 2021
    That's weird. The URLs are different on Safari on the Mac than on the Chromebook I'm using at the moment. 
    I think the easiest way around this is for you to let me have the username and password and I'll sort it out for you, and try it out on some different browsers.
  • You are a gentleman Dave.
    Very very kind  of you.
    I owe you big time.
    PM sent.
  • Dave's sorted it.
    Thank you very much Mr. R. :-)
  • You're welcome, Ben :)
  • Docfoster said:
    You are a gentleman Dave.
    Very very kind  of you.
    I owe you big time.
    PM sent.
    Ben, he is a real gent, Happy New Year Dave and all.
  • Thank you, Colin. Happy New Year to you and Maria. I hope you had a great Christmas.
  • And his advice and work is paying off.
    Google is now friends with my website. :-)
  • Cool! How are you judging Google is now friends?
  • My site is now appearing in some search results. Fairly specific ones, but I’m more confident that if someone is looking for me, they are now finding me. 👍
    Thank you!
  • Also, I was looking at my Google search console yesterday, and I noticed that it had registered an external link from good ol’ Audiochews as being of significance.👍
  • Docfoster said:
    My site is now appearing in some search results. Fairly specific ones, but I’m more confident that if someone is looking for me, they are now finding me. 👍
    Thank you!

That is great news, Ben.
    It's amazing how just doing some of the fundamentals gets a site on the right track.
  • Docfoster said:
    Also, I was looking at my Google search console yesterday, and I noticed that it had registered an external link from good ol’ Audiochews as being of significance.👍

GSC is a wonderful thing :)