Listening to ...

Comments

• Summer! :-)
    Rain and Jazz is OK honest with a smattering of the blues.
  • Archie Shepp - One for the Trane
  • Art Ensemble of Chicago - The Alternate Express
  • Art Pepper & George Cables - Goin' Home
  • Billy Bang - Vietnam: The Aftermath

If you have any interest in 21st Century Jazz, you should have a copy of this. Now 12 years old, it sounds as fresh as ever.
  • edited June 2013
    Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge

On the Naim label, donchaknow!
  • edited June 2013
    Peter Brotzmann - Nipples

Having been listening to The Thing's Mats Gustafsson for a while, Brotzmann sounds less intimidating these days ;-)
  • Uri Caine - Moloch: Book of Angels, Volume 6

Solo piano renditions of tunes from John Zorn's Masada Book Two (I hope you followed that!).
  • Calexico - Convict Pool
  • Barre Phillips - Mountainscapes
  • Rediscovered this lot recently. This album wasn't my favourite of theirs back in the day, but I'm absolutely loving track 3. Totes emosh*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WDXzAXNTCT8

*The first use of this hip and groovy term here on Audiochews, I'll warrant.image
  • I am on a New FADs bender tonight...

The track 'Stockholm' contains the lyric "You'll soon be dust; your deeds already are". In 1992, at the age of 18 I thought that lyric was the coolest thing that a human being had ever created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnIF1urxJx0

• Final indulgence of the night. Where it all began. Love that high energy bass and percussion interplay...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJjjGvndTw

• Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge

Try this one, its a great album

• Been playing this to death latelyimage

• Oh and this one

You could say Im having a bit of a Jazz bass session as of lateimage
  • edited June 2013
    Calexico - Convict Pool
    Don't know this one, but I'm a fan of Calexico, and Iron & Wine (with whom they've collaborated).

I like a bit of Marcus Miller also - must 'spotify' these two albums.
  • Time for a bit of Pat

• Calexico - Convict Pool
    Don't know this one, but I'm a fan of Calexico, and Iron & Wine (with whom they've collaborated).

I like a bit of Marcus Miller also - must 'spotify' these two albums.
    Check out the Bromberg album too, well worth a listen
  • Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge

Try this one, its a great album

Never heard that one.
  • Time for a bit of Pat

Not bad, but I prefer 80/81, its kind of forerunner.
  • edited June 2013
    Atomic - Feet Music

Scandinavian music of an entirely higher quality, @figlet108 :-)
  • edited June 2013
    See what I mean? Muller fruit corner, that's what that is! :P
  • Time for a bit of Pat

Not bad, but I prefer 80/81, its kind of forerunner.
    Will have to check it out

• I hope you enjoy it.
  • I had to share this one with you...

Alvin Loussier - Nothing is Real (Strawberry Fields Forever) for piano and amplified teapot

On last night's Late Junction, about 25 minutes in http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02yjzfy if you're interested.
  • edited June 2013
    Black Grape "It's Great When You're Straight...Yeah"
    (On the 5mm speaker on my iphone...Still bloomin' marvellous...Yeah)
  • edited June 2013
    I know I'm late to this bandwagon, but just started listening to Daft Punk - (German Electronica). Really enjoying it on the electrostatics while I build some speaker stands for them.
    Carol-o-meter = "Turn that up to 11!"

• Alex Jenkins' Sound Immersion - Perseverance 

Rather nice. I think I'm going to buy the FLACs - especially at that price!
  • Terry Pratchett,s The Long Earth.

Fliipin' brilliant! I havent played this for years, never even considered it as a 'serious' listen, but it's up with the best. Even has very decent (if slightly processed) production.
  • Atomic - Feet Music

Dave, been so busy I completely missed that insult :)
    I shall have a listen now if it's on Spotty...
  • speaking of Spotify, any chance of installing something like OEmbed so we can embed Spotify tracks for folks to play on the forum?

(I have a long list of different coloured 'neck music to post)
  • Alan, big fan of Indigo Girls right here - and like you haven't played it for a while - shall go and rediscover it...

BTW, has Al Lewis or Paper Aeroplanes been mentioned on Chews yet?
  • Atomic - Feet Music

Dave, been so busy I completely missed that insult :)
    I shall have a listen now if it's on Spotty...
    Insult???
  • edited July 2013
    speaking of Spotify, any chance of installing something like OEmbed so we can embed Spotify tracks for folks to play on the forum?

That does look good. 

I must confess, I've not been keeping an eye on Vanilla plug-ins for a while - well spotted!

It may just crash the forum (see the warning at the head of the page), but I'll give it a go.

But before that, I'm moving this august community to its new host - no, really!
  • We should be done for xmas! ;)

I don't know if anyone - other than myself and possibly @brumjam - has mentioned paper aeroplanes. Cracking album.

I also recommend Jerry Douglas - Glide. I heard 'Route Irish' on radio paradise and bought the album on a whim - glad I did.

Now - another fave.

• speaking of Spotify, any chance of installing something like OEmbed so we can embed Spotify tracks for folks to play on the forum?

That does look good. 

I must confess, I've not been keeping an eye on Vanilla plug-ins for a while - well spotted!

It may just crash the forum (see the warning at the head of the page), but I'll give it a go.

But before that, I'm moving this august community to its new host - no, really!
    If you need any admin help let me know. 
    My strategy for seamlessly moving hosts is to have another domain name (e.g. audiochews.net) and set it up on the new server and test it until you are happy and then just http redirect .com to the new .net and in the background initiate a proper nameserver move of the .com to the .net host.
    I've done this many times before and never had any problems.
  • Thanks Jason.

That's more or less how I do it, but something went wonky last time I tried it with Chews.

I have a working copy already on the new host and will probably be doing the database transfer this evening.
  • edited July 2013
    Louis Moholo Moholo, Johnny Dyani, Dudu Pukwana and The Reverend Frank Wright - Spiritual Knowledge & Grace

I can't express how much I love this album. Freely improvised, yet with structure, melodies, rhythms and real respect for the others on stage. I can't get enough of the South Africans, and with the presence of US uber free player Wright their stuff just flies.

And a lovely live recording to boot.
  • Been listening to Shakti quite allot lately along with the John McLaughlan album Live In Paris, wonderful stuff
  • Been listening to Shakti quite allot lately along with the John McLaughlan album Live In Paris, wonderful stuff
    FWIW, I love Shakti.
  • Loreena McKennitt - The Visit.

Wonderfully mystically folktastic.
  • I haven't heard her in years. 

Definitely into the mystic, if I remember correctly ;-)
  • Macy Gray - On How Life Is

I haven't listend to this for aeons. 
  • Fleetwood Mac "Mr Wonderful"
    British blooos at its best!
  • We should be done for xmas! ;)

I don't know if anyone - other than myself and possibly @brumjam - has mentioned paper aeroplanes. Cracking album.

I also recommend Jerry Douglas - Glide. I heard 'Route Irish' on radio paradise and bought the album on a whim - glad I did.

Now - another fave.

Paper aeroplanes = brilliant.  Will check out Jerry Douglas.