RFC News

PACPAC
edited October 2013 in Blog
It's been a while since anything new was announced but a bit of news here:

Talking of whether we've moved on in the last 30 years on another thread, one of the things that I have an interest in is to refurbish classic loudspeakers, and I've decided to offer to take that one step forwards, hence some updates here:  http://referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/loudspeaker-upgrades-and-refurbishment/

Comments

• Good on ya.
    What know you of Goodmans Goodwoods...?
  • PACPAC
    edited October 2013
    A little. I think their were several released.  I'm guessing that you're referring to your 15" ones?

15 inch bass was pretty reliable and a really nice performer. The Achilles-heal was usually the tweeter. I think these use the DT3 soft dome (25mm) units which don't like being pushed too hard and often failed in the hands of youfs and under-powered amps pushing them into clipping!

Supposing tweeters are ok, they will almost certainly require crossovers looking at for their age now, the caps will more than likely need replacing if not already done.  The other areas for improvement would be to replace the standard tags/wiring and terminals with decent replacements and some decent soldering.  Nothing about refurbing the Goodwoods is expensive at all.  A great set of speakers.

They can be improved by replacing the tweeter with a SEAS equivalent for the ones that were typically used as the originals weren't known for their linearity and could be a little rolled off.  A SEAS H87 was often used as a replacement from memory.  If they sound ok, then perhaps best leaving be and just doing the x-overs but if needed as a main speaker for full range duties, I'd advise a tweeter replacement and x-over revision to match.
  • The Goodwoods i think are all 12 inch (mine are anyway). The Magisters have 15 inchers.
    Would agree re tweeters, for whichever reason. The sound was a bit ragged and unrefined. I disconnected them and the mids and just use the bass units to fill out the sound, in the main system (a kind of 70s stereo sub).
    How able are you to provide some quotes for the various options? No rush.
    I like the idea of supporting your venture, and getting some revamped classics to boot at a (hopefully) affordable price.
  • Oh btw, the terminals are some annoying little screw down clamps (on the underside of raised rear panel), suitable only for tiny spades or bell wire. How possible would fitting something more conventional be?
  • Oopsy...yes, the 15's were Magisters.

The tweeters can be seriously improved upon Ben, even with some modern very modest units.  Terminals can be replaced no problems at all for some conventional ones. I'll PM you with more details.
  • ...Behind the scenes we have a deal. My "Fidelo-lites" are in the pipeline. ;-)
  • Alan has my Magisters that need the PAC touch!
  • Lovely things and well worth the trouble!
  • Magisterial?  :-B
  • PACPAC
    edited November 2013
    Newly installed Zyx R-50H now on demo at RFC Towers:

It comes in a rather natty little draw-string bag containing the packaging and comb-jointed Cedar wood box:

Whilst I'm no stranger to Zyx
    cartridges and certainly no stranger to the R50-Bloom, this is the first time
    I've had the R-50 H in the system. The H just denotes that whilst this is STILL
    a low output MC, it's output is slightly higher than the very low output model
    which means that it will be more compatible with a wider range of systems.
    Output is a healthy 0.48mV so a 1:10 SUT or 20dB of gain is fine into a
    standard MM phonostage (which adds another 40dB or so of gain to generate
    line-level signal voltage).

Recommended loading on this is greater than 100 Ohms and it has a superb
    frequency response varying by just an incredibly small 1dB between 20Hz and
    20KHz but it will extend to 40KHz beyond audible threshold.

The Z-50 Bloom isn't just remarkable for it's flat frequency response and
    specification for the money but in real world terms it sounds incredible! It
    has more low down authority than my outgoing Shelter 5000 which retailed at
    three times the cost, has a flatter response and offers up a bigger bolder
    soundstage full of authority. I was pretty stunned at the level of performance on offer tbh.

For once, and thankfully, this is one MC that isn't too brightly lit up top so
    it makes for a very non-fatiguing listen. The detail is there, it's just that
    its nicely in balance. Sound stage is big and expansive, more so than the
    Shelter 501 or 5000 and more so than the Dynavector DV20xl, its nearest
    competitor. In fact, the Zyx trumps the DV20 in terms of neutrality and
    authority. It offers up a bigger bolder sound but remains smoother at the top
    registers making this one for all rock and Classical fans alike.image image

To sum up, the Z-50 Bloom offers up performance way beyond it's price point imho. It
    remains for me, the stand-out performer amongst some mediocrity at the price
    point and is a worthy first step to serious high-end performance at mid-level
    price. At £515 it seems insanely cheap compared with the competition and in
    that respect should be viewed as something of a bargain. I'm wholly converted and prefer the R50 to just about anything I've heard before at the budget for an MC.  Just hope that Zyx
    hold their prices into the New Year.

• See Dave sampling rates are infinite no digital lies. And a nice wooden box to put crushed and cremated CD's in. :D