Listening to ...

Comments

• Jerome Sabbagh, Ben Monder & Daniel Humair - I Will Follow You

Something of Paul Motian's similarly instrumented trio with Bill Frisell and Joe Lovano here, perhaps. On early listens, this is a fantastic album.
  • John Lee Hooker - The Healer
  • Arab Strap - Philophobia (double vinyl)
  • edited March 2011
    John Zorn - The Dreamers
  • Leo Kottke - Guitar Music
  • Four Tet - Rounds
  • Jah Wobble - Live in Leuven
  • edited March 2011
    Miles Davis - The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel, Disc 1

Edit: This stuff is so intense that I can't work to it. There's almost a punkiness to the way that Miles and his then young band dismember these standards. And Wayne Shorter is just breathtaking. I always tend to forget him when thinking of my favourite sax players, but he's always way up there. His solo on Walkin'... Wow!
  • Iro Haarla - Vespers
  • Jason Moran - Modernistic
  • Jimmy Giuffre - Free Fall
  • John Coltrane - The Prestige Recordings, Disc 10

Not essential, by any means, but interesting to hear him trying to break away from conformity.
  • Art Pepper - Modern Art
  • Great stuff.
  • Oscar Peterson - Alternate One from the Album Alternate Blues, killer stuff IMO, just playing this on Spotify, Im gonna have to hunt this album down for sure

Lee
    More high quality stuff from Elbow - strangely, I don't think I'll be listening to it that often though. I think I prefer another northern band; I Am Kloot, which are similar (but better imo - think Elbow crossed with Stephen Fretwell), whose last two albums were produced by Elbow's Guy Garvey.
    Superb!
  • Keith Jarrett - At The Blue Note. The Complete Recordings, Disc 2
  • Miles Davis - The Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-68: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings, Disc 2

One stunning band! It has to be when sometimes Herbie Hancock seems the weakest of the five. How can that be?
    More high quality stuff from Elbow - strangely, I don't think I'll be listening to it that often though. I think I prefer another northern band; I Am Kloot, which are similar (but better imo - think Elbow crossed with Stephen Fretwell), whose last two albums were produced by Elbow's Guy Garvey.
    Frankly, I'd give 'em the Spanish Archer (I'll get me coat)
  • Mr Woodnote - Winters of Woodshed
  • Nina Simone - Baltimore

How much do I love the title track? Potentially a UM desert island disc, I'd say.
  • Atomic - The Bikini Tapes
  • The Crusaders - Scratch

Here comes the weekend!
  • From the funky, to the never understood the meaning of the word:

Derek Bailey - Carpel Tunnel
  • Nils Lofgren band live
    Gerry Rafferty - night owl / city to city
  • The Rain Song - Led Zeppelin
    Nice album that Alan - was my first introduction to the works of Ms Krauss and Co, and made me investigate further. '100 Miles or More' is another superb album - you may have it already of course. :)

Today...

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
    The Smiths - Meat is Murder
    The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come

(oi loiks the Smiffs oi does). :)
  • Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
  • edited March 2011
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

• I do indeed Richard - there's a new album out imminently too!

Today: Aloe Blacc - Good Things. Like a very contemporary Bill Withers.
  • Dave Holland Quintet - Not for Nuthin'

• David Sylvian - The Good Son vs The Only Daughter (the Blemish Remixes)

• Morrissey - Viva Hate.
  • Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.3 (LSO/Previn).
    I haven't heard that. Any good?
  • Hilmar Jensson - Ditty Blei

• Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

nuff said 
    :)

nuff said 
    But which version?  :-D
  • Jason Moran - Ten

Alan, I've probably recommended this one before, but it's a fantastic piece of where the piano trio is a decade into the 21st century. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it. 

nuff said 
    But which version?  :-D
    The one in the box set complete columbia, Ive been tying with buying the Legacy edition, anyway Ive moved on from that album and now playing

Live at the plugged nickel vol2
  • Yeah. Mr Anally Retentive here has both!

The Plugged Nickel is brilliant, isn't it?
  • Jason Moran - Ten

Alan, I've probably recommended this one before, but it's a fantastic piece of where the piano trio is a decade into the 21st century. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it. 
    I don't remember if you did, but I am scribbling on a postit note as I type...

The Dave Holland flamenco album is lovely, nice acoustic sound. I don't know any of his other work to compare, but I just checked & it's on spotify.
  • Great. I'll check out the Dave Holland.

He's one of the world's great bassist, and a Brit, to boot. He's on so many albums, you'll have a lot of fun checking up on them.
  • Yeah. Mr Anally Retentive here has both!

The Plugged Nickel is brilliant, isn't it?
    Sure is
  • edited March 2011

I love Sins of my Father. It always takes me to another place.