REM

edited December 2011 in Root
When I was at Uni' (early 90s) REM's 'Automatic for the People' was in everyone's CD collection. Except mine. I didn't even have a CD collection, but I didn't have it on vinyl either. I was a serious muso who made it his business to despise anything popular. If it wasn't underground acid jazz, jazz rap, techno or rare groove from 1968 - 1973, or specific indie I refused to endorse it. I was an utter arse (tho' much of that music I continue to enjoy genuinely to this day).
Tonight I am listening to a ripped CD of Auto' 4 the peeps. I am loving it. Quality pop.
Am I liberated from my youthful musical fascism? Cloth eared? Getting old? What next? Christ Rea? Mick Hicknal? (I can't even feel confidence in the spelling of their names...)

Comments

• Chris Rea? Driving home for Xmas? Suits you sir.
  • Funnily enough, I used to hate REM with a passion during the 80s, but started to take note of them around Automatic For The People. It's probably my favourite REM album now.

I don't like everything they've done, but they don't send me running from the room like they used to. Just as well, 'cos SWMBO has some REM ;-)
  • Lucky you. Mine's more into Westlife.
    I had to buy her their latest greatest hits album from Amazon for crimbo.
    Don't worry - I created a new account with Amazon and set up a PO box for delivery, so the purchase cannot be traced to anyone here.
  • Mine can be, too, but I try to get her to forget such things ;-)
  • Automatic For The People is a great album, I also really liked Monster. I think Monster was the first album I ever bought, in about 1994-5 on cassette!