Anyone tried to buy a Raspberry Pi recently?

My favourite Single Board Computer is like hen's teeth at the moment.  :'(

Supply chain problems and increased demand mean that it's almost impossible to find one - there's even a website that scrapes legitimate vendors for stock (https://rpilocator.com). Good luck with finding an RPI in the UK!

I've been spending the past couple of weeks trying to snare one on eBay for something this side of £100! I got one early Sunday morning for £65. That's for a used RPi4 2GB. What I really wanted was an RPi3 B+, which uses less power and still runs streaming audio apps fine.

I'll let you know if it works when it arrives later this week. 

Comments

• I think I have an RPi 3 somewhere. If I can find it would you like it?
  • edited October 2022
    It’d certainly be interested, thank you, Simon. 
  • No problem,  I'll have a hunt about.
  • I found it immediately,  it's an Rpi 3 model B.
  • Great. What do you want for it?
  • It's OK you can have it, it's just sitting on top of a cupboard. Just PM me your address and I'll post it to you.
  • Thank you so much!
  • edited November 2022
    uglymusic said:
    My favourite Single Board Computer is like hen's teeth at the moment.  :'(

Supply chain problems and increased demand mean that it's almost impossible to find one - there's even a website that scrapes legitimate vendors for stock (https://rpilocator.com). Good luck with finding an RPI in the UK!

I've been spending the past couple of weeks trying to snare one on eBay for something this side of £100! I got one early Sunday morning for £65. That's for a used RPi4 2GB. What I really wanted was an RPi3 B+, which uses less power and still runs streaming audio apps fine.

I'll let you know if it works when it arrives later this week. 
    Well, the RPi 4 arrived and it's been running happily since the weekend. 

It'll be swapped out for Simon's (@cotic's) RPi 3 when it arrives, though. The RPi 3 is compatible with more of my HAT boards and consumes less energy, so for most audio purposes, the RPi 3 is preferred. 

I should say thanks, again, publicly, to Simon. It's these pieces of generosity by Chews members that make it worth running this place. 
  • Simon's RPi 3 finally got swapped into my Allo Digione Signature. The Sig has been mysteriously crashing and I know the 3 in there has some corrosion. Now I've swapped the boards and given the original 3 a good blast with switch cleaner, it's looking a lot better than I remembered it.

I've played the system for most of the day. No crashes. Fingers crossed it remains that way!
  • Well, I'm currently at a cafe eating a lemon meringue pie.
    Very yummy but I don't think it'll last "most of the day". ;)
  • That's the sort of pie I'd expect from a closet Supertramp fan. 

It's best if it doesn't last "most of the day", you'll find  :p 

Give me apple pie any day!  B)
  • Rather partial to apple crumble myself, Myles better than a jazzy apple pie. >:)
  • I'll send General Custard to sort you out. You can't have that kind of thing in your life  :o
  • Maria bought me a BTek mini PC, Alan and I played with it today and the video and sound was very good from Amazon for about £100,
    Has anybody else tried it?
    Windows based digital lies.
  • And there's this one at £79.92 on a Black Friday deal, if you like that kind of thing  :)