SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC

My entry into Chi-fi.

It arrived late yesterday; it got plugged in overnight. 

I'm playing it now.

Comments

• It plays music. Eventually.
  • It's good. Very good. At a fraction of the price of the Young/PSU setup that's on its way upstairs.

I'll write at greater length later. 
  • Until a little while ago I was eyeing up it's big siss, the 500mkii.

As it turned out I managed to repair the DAC I had so all lustings ceased.

They both get great reviews, I'm impressed it's ousted the Young!
  • Yeah, I considered the 500/2, too.

But I went for the 300/2 because I didn't need the headphone amp, and I wanted to try the AKM chip. So I saved a few quid.
  • edited October 2022
    I promised you some more detailed thoughts about my new DAC.
    The overall feeling is naturalness, but with more detail than the Young. Vocals are particularly impressive. 
    I was concerned that the AKM chip might mess up the system's timing - I've read many times how ESS chips are better with PRaT and that stuff - but absolutely not. I've built my systems over the years, so they play jazz immaculately, so this is a major relief.
    Going back to the detail point, I've been listening to the system for hours with my wife over the last couple of days. We've both noticed things we haven't heard before.
    Downsides? Maybe just a little too smooth on the wailingest (if that's not a word, it should be) of jazz. And the SMSL doesn't have the front-to-back soundstage that the M2Tech DAC has. I think I can live with both of them.
    I haven't yet played with the PCM filters, the Sound Color (sic) settings or High Sound (whatever that is). Maybe I'll find some more of what I'd want, ideally, in there.
    I've left them until I'm happy any burn-in period is over - I'm not even sure there has been any burn-in. Cheaper components? Good design? 
    But, the thing is amazing. Just £239.99 on Amazon. I bought it there because I can return it if I don't like it.
  • Interesting points and observations there Dave.
    My existing DAC is great on detail, sound staging and has soul. It is a little limited on file handling via coax but the USB section can handle that, although differently.

I did manage to borrow a Hugo 2 and a Dacmagic but was unimpressed by both.
    The Hugo was super detailed but flat and cold. The Dacmagic was a non starter, seriously out of its league.

From your write up I'm still not sure if I'd have been happy with the 500ii if purchased.

Thankfully I didn't need to.
  • edited October 2022
    So, it's soul you're looking for?

Can I recommend Curtis Mayfield?  :)

Sorry. Bad joke.

Is it soul? Or soundstaging? Or both?
  • In my book they are very different things.
    Sound staging is the ability of the replay system/recording to convey the space and placement a live performance would have.

Soul is the amount of feeling and nuance (not detail) that can be conveyed.

All, of course, IMHO.
  • edited October 2022
    Of course, they are!

The interesting thing I'm experiencing with the SMSL is that, although it gives fewer cues about the recording studio or performance environment, the performers and their instruments are more believable or more alive. More real, I suppose, put more simply. 

So, it's good on soul and disappointing on sound staging, in your preferred terms?
  • Only trouble is, if you're Dave I have to be Sam...

• edited October 2022
    cj66 said:
    Only trouble is, if you're Dave I have to be Sam...

You may not believe it, but my wife's name is Sam  :) 

I made the Sam and Dave joke not long after we met, and she hadn't heard of them!
  • You know - and getting back on topic  ;) - I think the M300/2 is getting a bit better over time.

I really like it. Even though I'm sitting here supposedly deciding its strengths and weaknesses, and, ultimately, if Mr Bezos is going to have to give me my money back, I'm just listening to the music. Very persuasive, it is.