Time to be thankful for redundancy and backups

On Monday, my NAS drive reported that one of its two disks was showing increased errors. By the time it got to the end of yesterday, the disk was just about unusable. That's from running fine, with no errors, to unusable in less than 24 hours!
The Syno started beeping and I now have the enclosure shut down until tomorrow, when the replacement, larger, drive arrives. I nearly ordered one on Monday. I wish I had.
There should be no data loss on the drive, and I have onsite and offsite backups, but it's always a worry in case there's something amiss with them.

Comments

• Very good point Dave.
    I back up mine manually about once a year.
    Should probably increase that a bit...!
  • Always a good idea to automate backups so you can leave them to get on with it.
  • It is weird not to have access to the Syno, though. And it'll take good few hours to get the NAS up and running properly, so I guess it'll be sometime Friday before everything is as it should be.
    I really should keep a drive in the cupboard, for the next time one dies, but I'd rather not have the money tied up.
  • It'll be Saturday before it has finished rebuilding, but I've had a functioning NAS since yesterday.

I'm thinking I'd buy another 4- or more-bay NAS if I have the spare funds next time.