Best loudspeaker ever..or today ??

edited August 2013 in Blog
I have a list, do You? -tell us, 

Comments

• If only @jim were still around. He could fill this thread all by himself :-)
  • Is BOSE one?  :D
  • I had a two way called stag never knew who made them
    and five way inc 15 sub called image 301 made by sonaudax lovely speakers
  • edited August 2013
    I have never had the privilege of owning such speakers; the ones I have been fortunate enough to own are very good for what they are. They include:
    • Royd Minstrel
    • Goodmans Magnum SL (heavily modified)
    • Goodmans Magister (need mods, still have these)
    • Royd RR3

The ones I want right now include:

• Quad ESL57 (One thing audio modified)
    • Large Apogee panel (any model, not fussy)
    • Impulse H2
    • Yamaha NS1000 (My current whimsy - I'd snap them up if I so much as saw them. And had the money.)
    • Something by Green Mountain Audio (Great philosophy).

Not much current technology in that list, is there? I'd quite fancy getting to know some current Focals, I think they may be quite nice.

There are no doubt much better speakers around, but these are the 'real-world' speakers I'd be interested in.

• Green Mountain Audio, never heard of, can you tell me more about their philosophy, Alan...

• I forgot Celestion Ditton 66.

Lasse, Google Green Mountain Audio & have a read. Their designer is well regarded, and focuses almost obsessively on time / phase coherency. A little like someone else we know...
  • ok, I must check them up..
  • KEF LS 50, they are the only ones I have  ;)
  • Acoustic Research, AR3a.
  • (i) Tannoy Westminster Royal HE , heard at Manchester show ~2008 .

(ii) James Doddington's 'Quasar' OB speaker using 20mm perspex baffles, AER Mk1 as mid/treble and Supravox 285GMF bass ; series crossover.
  • A little bit like I suspected...

• The best I've heard are the Tune Audio Anima. Tannoy Westminster Royals also impressed me. Size and cost rather prohibitive in both cases.

@Alan - Not sure of exact model name, but the top end Focal stand mounts sound great. I thought the beryllium tweeter would be too dominant but it blended well with the main driver.
  • A little bit like I suspected...

Chewers' likes?
  • A good friend of mine in the DIY world went to the US in 2003 to attend VSAC .
    Ever since then he continues to say the Edgarhorn Titans are by far the best speakers he's ever heard . I think he heard the complete set-up with the horn sub/bass unit. He said they were underpriced at $10,000 .