Amazon.com

This is about not buying direct.

I've just bought a couple of cds from Amazon.com because I couldn't find anywhere that stocked them or were in stock. Amazon.co.uk only carried one, at about twice the price of Amazon.com. 

Now the cds have been despatched, I noticed the estimated delivery date - 5 May. Five weeks to get from the US to the People's Republic of Worthing. That is just appalling. I would have been better continuing looking for another source or waiting.

I'm sure ordering from Amazon.com never used to be that slow.

Comments

• It isn't great, that's for sure. I also got clobbered for a larger order of CDs I couldn't get in the UK for import tax/VAT etc. I was irritated because they knew where I was buying from, but neglected to bring up the possibility of extra charges.
  • you said it yourself thats an estimated delivery date - hopefully it will be sooner.....it usually is.     ;-)
  • It isn't great, that's for sure. I also got clobbered for a larger order of CDs I couldn't get in the UK for import tax/VAT etc. I was irritated because they knew where I was buying from, but neglected to bring up the possibility of extra charges.
    It's always a gamble with getting anything over about £75. If it's posted, you seem to get hammered without fail; if it comes via a courier, you can get away with it (or you pay up front, so there are no nasty surprises). I've been caught and not caught on similar shipments from the same company in the US.

I wish I could work out what the pattern is - or is it that the UK government is trying to extract every penny it can out of us at the moment and everything is being jumped on by those darlings at HMRC?
  • you said it yourself thats an estimated delivery date - hopefully it will be sooner.....it usually is.     ;-)
    Hope so. Estimates can be low as well as high.
  • All good things come to those that wait      ;-)
    It's always a gamble with getting anything over about £75. If it's posted, you seem to get hammered without fail; if it comes via a courier, you can get away with it (or you pay up front, so there are no nasty surprises). I've been caught and not caught on similar shipments from the same company in the US.

I wish I could work out what the pattern is - or is it that the UK government is trying to extract every penny it can out of us at the moment and everything is being jumped on by those darlings at HMRC?
    Except it was n order of around £30!
  • I think that confirms my suspicions.
  • The CDs arrived yesterday. Way quicker than estimated and without any nasty extra charges - cool!

FWIW, some plastic CD sleeves also arrived today from the US, also unmolested by HMRC.

I wonder what the value cut-in is? And if it's only the value.
  • Great news. I am still waiting for a Basia Bulat album, but when it does decide to come it will be a pleasant surprise.
  • From Amazon.com?
  • Yup! I think it's coming by transatlantic pigeon!