So I bought myself another toy: Kindle Fire 8 HD tablet

edited November 2020 in Digital
An Amazon Kindle Fire HD tablet or whatever it's called. At about £55 on Prime day, it was too good to turn down.
Thankfully, the Silk browser works great with LMS's material interface.

Comments

• Weird cheap.
  • This is one of my luddite areas.
    I really dislike reading anything more than a  shortish article from a screen, yes I've tried Kindle too.

If it is a lengthy online read I will print it off!

Read a real book and kill a tree :/
  • edited October 2020
    Docfoster said:
    Weird cheap.

Yeah. Couldn't resist it.
    I've had it a bit under a week and I've been using it for controlling LMS, reading books in front of the hi-fi and keeping up with Chews. It's a surprisingly nice thing, as long as you don't think it's an Android device. Amazon has nobbled it with its own limited app store. But I knew that before I bought the Fire.
  • cj66 said:
    This is one of my luddite areas.
    I really dislike reading anything more than a  shortish article from a screen, yes I've tried Kindle too.

If it is a lengthy online read I will print it off!

Read a real book and kill a tree :/

I'm not sure it's a Luddite thing, I know people of all ages who prefer reading physical books.
    I spend most of my day in front of an iMac with a nice 4K screen, and my iPhone has a nice screen, too. For me, that's important.
    But I didn't buy the Fire just to read books. I've been wanting a small tablet for doing those evening wind-down things as I outlined in my last post.
    I have an e-ink Kindle for serious reading. I find the Kindle the least tiring way to read, primarily, fiction. If it's factual or has a load of photographs or diagrams, or I want to make lots of notes, then I lay waste to a rain forest or two.
  • Just a quick update on the Kindle Fire. I installed the Google Play Store on it over the weekend. Took about 15 minutes or so and only involved downloading and installing four files. Now I can install anything that runs on Android.
    Only one problem so far. Firefox crashes, so I've had to use Chrome instead. But Chrome allows me to use the LMS Material interface properly. It's now controlling my new office setup, which I can say something about if anyone's interested.
    You can currently grab one of these Kindle Fire 8 HD things for about £55 on a Black Friday deal.
  • I have two Kindles and filled an128G store with books, so now I have to buy a new one.
    Shame I cant read.