Listening to ...

Comments

• Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

A left-field masterpiece, if ever there was one! 
  • A bit of easy listening to take us into the weekend. 

• edited November 2020
    Starting the weekend with:

• Just came up on Radio Paradise.
    Never heard it before.

• From Fear of Music, if I remember correctly. I know, there's this thing called Google.
  • Binker & Moses - Journey to the Mountain of Forever
    Jazz goes prog?

• A pop fest!

Kicked off by Pale Shelter used as a radio mix search on Spotify..

• No, it was drankies  night :#
  • Another beasties bass line...

• edited April 2021
    Just bought a magazine with a free CD I was pleasantly surprised as I normally dislike Bob singing. But the music was good.
    Mag is "Uncut" June 2021 "Dylan Revisited"

https://www.uncut.co.uk/

https://www.uncut.co.uk/publications/magazines/uncut-june-2021-130122/
  • I have problems with His Bobness, too.
  • edited May 2021
    Vijay Iyer and Wadada Leo Smith - A Cosmic Rhythm With Each Stroke
    Piano/Trumpet duets that have gradually sunk into my consciousness over a period of time. I'm listening to them as I'm writing this morning.
    Here's the first track:

• James Brandon Lewis, Red Lily Quintet - Jesup Wagon

Serious stuff this from one of free jazz's up-and-coming sax stars, bridging 60s/70s fire music and today's developments.

I can't give you a YT link to the recording (you can find it on the streaming services, though), but here's a live gig (that I haven't yet watched):

• Harriet Tubman doing a Power Tools tune:

I love this band.
  • Oh dear, I'm caught up in YT.

If liked that, here's some more:

• Anthony Braxton—New York, Fall 1974

The rest of the album is on YT, if you want to hear it.

• The little I've heard from Harriet Tubman has been very interesting stuff, you can really slide-away listening to their output.
    Ross is one of those few guitarists that really communicate with mood and feeling so very well, rather than just virtuoso noodlings.
    A good shout reminding me to look deeper.
  • Glad you like them, Chris. 

They've been going for 22 (I think) years and only five albums (I think, also). They are all three fantastic musicians. Brandon Ross is a bit of an unsung guitar hero. FWIW, I'm a particular fan of Melvin Gibbs in all sorts of contexts.
  • Tim Berne and Bill Frisell - Theoretically

Loving this recent purchase of an early album by Tim Berne. And Bill Frisell, for that matter.
  • Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (streamed locally, of course)

• Oxbow and Peter Brotzmann to ease you gently into the evening:

• Today I have mostly been listening to Zappa apart for a bit of Bobby Hutchinson
  • The vibes player?
  • yes that's him only have the one album but when the mood is right, amazing!
  • edited October 2021
    He's one of the greats. I saw him once in concert many years ago.
    Like you, I don't have much under his name (a Blue Note compilation and a later album), but he turns up on some important more avant-garde Blue Note albums, including Jackie McLean's One Step Beyond and Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch, both of which I love.
  • Didn't know that ,got the album some years back on whim. Having listened to a lot of Georg duke, Stanley Clark, Mahavishnu orchestra, Billy cobham. loved the "flow" of it on the right day, never reached beyond that as I was told it sounded "confused" by the family! It is still banned downstairs! recently I've moved my main listening to the spare bedroom and can enjoy.
  • Stanley Clark, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Billy Cobham, Weather Report and Jaco Pastorius were amongst those I got into early in my jazz journey.

I have to pick my time to listen to most of my ugly music. Welcome to the club!
  • Tim Berne's Bloodcount - 5

There's nothing of this album on YT, but you can hear one track on Bandcamp, https://screwgunrecords.bandcamp.com/album/5.
    I've given it a couple of listens, and it's great Berne! He's with one of his strongest lineups - Chris Speed on Sax and Clarinet, Michael Formanek on Bass and Jim Black on Drums. With occasional band member Marc Ducret on Guitar.

• Had a great morning listening to my "confused" music. Ugly, I don't stream so could you recommend a few things that I could find on you tube, given my current play list? Be gentile with me!
  • Yep that fills both criteria, confused and ugly. 
  • AntiCrap said:

Just your thing Col. Thanks for sharing it with us :)
  • Had a great morning listening to my "confused" music. Ugly, I don't stream so could you recommend a few things that I could find on you tube, given my current play list? Be gentile with me!

Let me have a think. Leave it with me.
  • I'm going to start another thread shortly. Keep an eye out for it.
  • LMS just chose Keith Jarrett's Death and the Flower for me. It has impeccable taste (sometimes)

• edited November 2021
    Miles Davis - The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions

I used to love these completist box sets, but these days I'm not so sure. The selected, edited, mixed single album, which was fairly short if I remember correctly, is a masterpiece. This 'complete' set has too much inconsequential stuff for my liking.

• Today I have mostly listening to Joe Walsh , La grange, and once again "never fails" Zappa!
  • La Grange, as in ZZ Top?
  • Yes, sorry should have said. Whilst I'm not the biggest ZZ top fan I like his playing and voice sort of less is more?
  • Perhaps strangely, I'm a pretty huge ZZ Top fan when the mood takes me. I have a box set of about 10 albums which is enough for me!
  • Nothing strange about that. Rather nice vid of him on Daryl's house, you tube. I like Daryls house a lot of good music on there with decent sound via Chromecast audio imo. If you haven't seen it before I think its worth a look/listen.
  • Spent the afternoon listening to JJ Cale ,BB King ,George Benson and Wes Montgomery. Just love their ability to play less and give more.
  • Did you try the John Abercrombie in the other thread?
  • Nothing strange about that. Rather nice vid of him on Daryl's house, you tube. I like Daryls house a lot of good music on there with decent sound via Chromecast audio imo. If you haven't seen it before I think its worth a look/listen.
    I don't know Daryl's House. I'll try to remember to have a look when I'm somewhere in the house that I can play music.
  • yes, in fact listening to it now.
  • Great. Let me know what you think.