Listening to ...

Comments

• Is he a soundtrack man?
  • No he's an American man :D

• Burning Spear - Man in The Hills

I find this cover strangely disturbing, but Mr Spear is possibly my favourite reggae artiste, so I'll let him off.

• OK. Let's have some noise!

Albert Ayler - Live in Greenwich Village. The Complete Impulse Recordings

Just the thing to start the day :-)

• edited October 2020
    I left you with a little Albert Ayler. Just to announce that I'm back, here's Tomasz Stanko's Balladyna:
    Unfortunately, the live video has a completely different line-up to the album, so here's the Spotify link to the album https://open.spotify.com/album/46IBvUEk8pAzqZhp7fnCNl?si=W3Q3kDFnQvWiVRGm5mPHIg.
    Actually, it's not that ugly a listen, unlike the Ayler  :)

• edited October 2020
    Matthew Shipp Horn Quartet - Strata

A sort of chamber jazz, but not of the ECM kind, we have a drums-less line-up. Trumpet/Saxes/Piano/Bass. Possibly the best thing about the album is some stunning double bass from William Parker.

• Don Cherry - Om Shanti Om
    A more overtly spiritual and less dancy companion piece to one of my favourite albums of all time, Brown Rice.

• Mr Coltrane again in slow mode. But the brilliant Elvin Jones struggles to keep his full on  mode in check, 
  • Not my favourite Coltrane, TBH. But he was a great ballad player.
  • Not mine either but does demonstrate what great technique he had. But is a good album to introduce yourself to Coltrane. 
  • I think Giant Steps was mine. 
  • Probably Blue Train for me but Crescent is another less regarded regular. 
  • I seem to forget about Crescent when I'm looking for some Coltrane to play.
  • Max Roach - Percussion Bittersweet
    Impulse was on such a roll in the early 60s, not just with Coltrane. This is a masterpiece, so listen to the whole album on YT, if you don't know it.

• edited October 2020
    Trygve Seim & Andreas Utnem - Purcor

Like everything ECM I look for on YT, it isn't there.

Instead, Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5Iuc7CuRhdsAwA1iFvkwjP?si=crGsD8X2Sgi2NmpSx3tCJQ

It's described as Songs for Saxophone and Piano, and it's absolutely riveting. 
  • uglymusic said:
    Burning Spear - Man in The Hills

I find this cover strangely disturbing, but Mr Spear is possibly my favourite reggae artiste, so I'll let him off.

Where do you place this album in his catalogue?
    (Agree about the cover. It's terrible.)
  • Christ. I don't know, TBH. I love just about everything I've heard from his 70s output (although most of what I have are live albums from later in his career). But I think the Marcus Garvey/Garvey's Ghost package is my favourite. So somewhere behind that :-) At least, MG/GG is what I play most often.
    Where do you place Man in the Hills? Do you have a favourite Burning Spear album?
  • edited October 2020
    William Parker - I Plan To Stay A Believer. The Inside Songs of Curtis Mayfield
    Horribly recorded, but some of my favourite free jazzers taking on possibly my favourite soul vocalist's material is just toooo good. They're having so much fun.

• John Martyn - Solid Air opening track. This one sounds wonderful with a SECA amp !

• I always go back to that album. Every so often, I play it to death for a short period.
    What I didn't know for ages is the song is about Nick Drake.
  • Never knew that either.
    Here is Mr Drake 

• And here is Mr Drake via Mr Mehldau

• Ketil Bjornstad - The Sea
    Not on YT any more, of course. So Spotti, for those of you who have it:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1vKJQC0oJs0ui1EsIHf7KH?si=meQ6nqAHRem5Ou2ENfjqww
    There are some great guitar and cello noises on this album. Play loud!
  • edited October 2020
    Grachan Moncur III.  One of my favourite monikers of all time!
    You should listen to his music for that reason alone  :)
    He has a few albums under his own name and some with alto player Jamie McLean. Every one a winner!
  • Larry Young - Unity
    In which they stretch classic Blue Note hard bop and organ jazz just that little further. My wife calls it Lift Music, but I can't tell you how wrong she is!

• EST - Leucocyte
    It still sounds amazing over ten years on. It's the only EST album I go back to.

• Art Pepper - Straight Life
    He still has me in emotional knots every time I listen to him. How unique a musician can you get?

• OMFG! I missed this when it came out last year. Five CDs of Art Pepper, and over half of it I don't have, by the look of it. Promo (lots, if not all of the set is on YT):
    I bought it.

• I missed that too Dave. How much was it ? 
  • edited October 2020
    Keeping the Mr Pepper theme - No Limit
    Keep forgetting about this album and then realise how good it is. Think it was his last Contemporary studio album whose recordings are always excellent.  

• 29mile said:
    I missed that too Dave. How much was it ? 
    £46.99 on Amazon. 
  • 29mile said:
    Keeping the Mr Pepper theme - No Limit
    Keep forgetting about this album and then realise how good it is. Think it was his last Contemporary studio album whose recordings are always excellent.  

That’s not much apart from some dodgy bootlegs that’s not worth having from late Pepper. 
  • edited October 2020
    Alice Coltrane - Ptah. The El Daoud

There’s so much in this album. I keep finding new stuff. On this album Alice approaches the heights reached by her husband. 

• Stephan Micus - Desert Poems
    Well, I like it on Sunday moorning ;-)

• uglymusic said:
    OMFG! I missed this when it came out last year. Five CDs of Art Pepper, and over half of it I don't have, by the look of it. Promo (lots, if not all of the set is on YT):
    I bought it.

And, it's great. The best Pepper there's been for ages.

You know you have to buy it :) B) >:) o:)
  • With that endorsement Dave this is a must for me ! 
  • The weakest material is the album I already had - New York Album. Otherwise there’s stuff here that has Pepper playing his most intense in the studio. 
  • Collin Walcott - Grazing Dreams
    Only Spotify again: https://open.spotify.com/album/6l5pgpvoGekLk8J9NEqho4
    But a wonderful album, nonetheless.
  • ZZ Top - Daguello (sorry, can't find the umlaut):
    Thank you.

• Max Roach - Drums Unlimited
    Not quite my favourite drummer of all time, but way up on the second podium. I love his feel.

• uglymusic said:
    ZZ Top - Daguello (sorry, can't find the umlaut):
    Thank you.

Don't worry, I found some...

• edited November 2020
    Fela Kuti & Afrika 70 with Ginger Baker

Works better than you'd think.

0:00 Let's Start
    7:55 Black Man's Cry
    19:24 Ye Ye De Smell
    33:04 Egbe Mi O (Carry Me I Want to Die)
  • More Fela!
    Fela Kuti - Zombie (remastered)

• Bobo Stenson Trio - Serenity
    I bought this on CD a week or so ago after enjoying it on Spotti for a while. I have to say, I can't think of a better piano trio album. It's fantastic, with a brilliant ECM recording. I've moved on from War Orphans, his previous album, which is merely great! :smiley:

• edited November 2020
    Early Mr Rollins I have not listened to in yonks. For me his pre Bridge material was his best

• I think I'd go along with that, Mervyn.
    But for East Broadway Rundown, which is a bit controversial amongst Rollins aficionados, and the Alfie soundtrack.