A good day of tinkering...

It's taken a good while, but here is the first EWA USB cable! Based on the new IC-25 screen and shield, it's better even than the last USB cable I had from Colin - the TQ black diamond. It seems to be brilliant as well.

We also tweaked the LS-25 jump links, separating the legs rather than keeping them joined - they look much better this way! 

They other thing is a refresh for the webshop at ABCaudio, hopefully a simpler look which will be more appealing. The other issue is making it look better on tablets. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have (although I may lack the skills to action it!)

As a final note, everything you see there is 100% down to Colin, and it's high time his concepts and designs received more of the recognition he deserves.

Comments

• Website is looking good, very clean and well organised.
  • Love a tinker day.

Products looking good Alan.
    Agreed on Colin's incredible prowess as a designer.

Will check out website later.

• You may want to link the abcaudio logo to the front page rather than the about page, it’s conventional to do that and people may get confused.
  • I just sneak a look and got my hands caught in the Candy Jar, the WEB master slapped me boo hooo and no candy. :(
  • edited August 2020
    Good work Alan!
    I like the new website. I think it's very clear and use friendly.
    Good photos too.
    Worked fine on my Android phone. :-)

On my brief visit a few minor issues cropped up...

• The orange text was helpful in visually pointing me towards links. Tho orange text wasn't always a link (sometimes just a heading). No biggie.
    • On the homepage, the "Interconnect" button has no link attached to it.
    • On the homepage, the "amplify" button drop down menu has only "SECA overview" on it.
    A couple of other minor issues (not sure if you were inviting comments on those)...

1. https://www.abcaudio.biz/ewa-amplifiers

"There's nothing here at the moment, but...
    ​But we would like to bring you a full SECA power amplifier in the future."

"but" repeated.

2. https://www.abcaudio.biz/about-us
    "EWA cables are designed with unconventional materials that have some pretty odd properties."

Could "special" be an alternative to "odd"...

• edited August 2020
    Ooh, nice! Thank you, chaps - I deeply appreciate your observations.

phorize said:
    You may want to link the abcaudio logo to the front page rather than the about page, it’s conventional to do that and people may get confused.
    Done. I did it that way before, I was just trying something a bit left field, but you are correct.

Docfoster said:
    Good work Alan!
    I like the new website. I think it's very clear and use friendly.
    Good photos too.
    Worked fine on my Android phone. :-)

On my brief visit a few minor issues cropped up...

• The orange text was helpful in visually pointing me towards links. Tho orange text wasn't always a link (sometimes just a heading). No biggie.
    • On the homepage, the "Interconnect" button has no link attached to it.
    • On the homepage, the "amplify" button drop down menu has only "SECA overview" on it.
    A couple of other minor issues (not sure if you were inviting comments on those)...

1. https://www.abcaudio.biz/ewa-amplifiers

"There's nothing here at the moment, but...
    ​But we would like to bring you a full SECA power amplifier in the future."

"but" repeated.

2. https://www.abcaudio.biz/about-us
    "EWA cables are designed with unconventional materials that have some pretty odd properties."

Could "special" be an alternative to "odd"...

I will look into the orange thing going forward, as using the color in this way is a new idea. Glad you picked up on it! (As a wider point, the main thing was making the site work - even nearly acceptably - on tablets (mobile is fine), and unifying the design 'language' so to speak: font, text size and color. Then site colors: White backgrounds, grey, blue and orange. Without making the whole thing too boring!)

'Interconnect' link added, menu fixed.

Scaled back the over generous 'buttage'.

'Special' subbed for odd.

Thank you both, for your feedback! The website has probably been up two or even three years now and I've learned a lot - I'm quite proud, truth be told. We are being found on Google all the time. Plus it doesn't look that bad. I've seen many professional sites that are much worse! (Oyaide, Cardas and many more)...

• The biggest thing going forward will be decent product photos on a white backlit background, so images can be put up without borders. A lot of the amplifier images are renders, and it seems people prefer photos... Hugh Thompson did wonderful work on the renders though.

Any suggestions about how to get that done? 

We are also losing the orange heatshrink branding on the cables, and looking at bespoke foil stamped sleeves in black, with 'Elsdon Wonfor Audio' in silver and metallic red text.
  • Glad you're feeling proud. :-)
    Genuinely, I think it looks good and is easy to navigate.
    And from what you say, it's working. :-)
  • edited August 2020
    A wider point to all who post on and support Audiochews: if you want to order anything EWA please, please contact me (via the webshop) with your enquiry. Friends of 'Chews and Wonfor are friends of ABCaudio.

That's an open ended offer to anyone who actively posts, participates and supports this forum both now, and going forward. 

@uglymusic. Do you think you can give me a logo for Chews to add to the ABCaudio footer, kind of like a social media button?
  • Alan said:

It's taken a good while, but here is the first EWA USB cable! Based on the new IC-25 screen and shield, it's better even than the last USB cable I had from Colin - the TQ black diamond. It seems to be brilliant as well.

We also tweaked the LS-25 jump links, separating the legs rather than keeping them joined - they look much better this way! 

They other thing is a refresh for the webshop at ABCaudio, hopefully a simpler look which will be more appealing. The other issue is making it look better on tablets. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have (although I may lack the skills to action it!)

As a final note, everything you see there is 100% down to Colin, and it's high time his concepts and designs received more of the recognition he deserves.

I shall havz a lookz at the webemporiumz.
  • edited August 2020
    Alan said:
    A wider point to all who post on and support Audiochews: if you want to order anything EWA please, please contact me (via the webshop) with your enquiry. Friends of 'Chews and Wonfor are friends of ABCaudio.

That's an open ended offer to anyone who actively posts, participates and supports this forum both now, and going forward. 

@uglymusic. Do you think you can give me a logo for Chews to add to the ABCaudio footer, kind of like a social media button?

Thanks Alan. That's very generous of you.
    There isn't a Chews logo, as such, but I'll see what I can concoct :-)
    Sorry I've not been around too much this week, folks.
  • Coolio. I've snipped the header logo, a link is in my footer now. Hope that's ok.

• Thanks, Alan.