Accuphase e 202

Hello all. A mate of mine has offered me first refusal on an accuphase e 202. I don’t have much experience of Japanese amps of this vintage. Apparently it’s running well and has been serviced with a recap a year or so ago. Unsurprisingly in contrast to British kit of the same era there doesn’t seem to be a lot of information on what these are like to own, parts availability or servicing expertise. Are there any thoughts on how possible it would be to do a major service on one of these? 

Comments

• Cripes. That’s an amp and a half!
  • cj66 said:
    Thanks for the link. For some reason I missed it. It’s wonderful that he documented the yield so meticulously. I might take this on as a project. Kinda reluctant to plug it into my p3esrs until it’s been tested and signed off by s competent engineer-warranty doesn’t cover fried crossover due to nostalgia tinted lenses. I was considering using it a a means of getting a better understanding of amplifiers.i can handle the strip and clean-dry joints maybe, component testing and replacement will be my weak point. 
  • Docfoster said:
    Cripes. That’s an amp and a half!
    Yes. The bills could be a lot of fun too. Nice thing about my Incatech is that it’s a known quantity. If only it had vu meters😁
  • phorize said:
    Docfoster said:
    Cripes. That’s an amp and a half!
    Yes. The bills could be a lot of fun too. Nice thing about my Incatech is that it’s a known quantity. If only it had vu meters😁
    Retro-fitting some could be your next project!
  • Meters on a Claymore!
    Unfortunately not enough spare front panel space....unless you used fly wires for the push button mute and tape monitor and designed a replacement front panel.....I see round meters with a yellow tinge in my pea- brain.

If you had the pre/power combo it would be easier.

Sorry Colin, I've just destroyed your design!!! :#
  • Have the meters on the fly wires!
  • Just a bit of fun...
    Claymore with VUs

Claymore with LEDs

• edited August 2019
    That top one looks beautiful.
    Seriously.
    You should hook up with Col’!
  • cj66 said:
    Just a bit of fun...
    Claymore with VUs

Claymore with LEDs

Love the eighties style linear meters; just like the ones on my hitachi all in one music centre I had in 87😁
  • phorize said:
    cj66 said:
    Just a bit of fun...
    Claymore with VUs

Claymore with LEDs

Love the eighties style linear meters; just like the ones on my hitachi all in one music centre I had in 87😁
    Col changed the led on my claymore to green so the colour coordination would improve as the gain was turned up!
  • Docfoster said:
    That top one looks beautiful.
    Seriously.
    You should hook up with Col’!
    The top one is cool. Where can I get one?  :) :)
  • phorize said:
    Col changed the led on my claymore to green so the colour coordination would improve as the gain was turned up!
    I changed mine to amber, original red was dead and didn't fancy green or the hipster blue.
  • AntiCrap said:
    Yuk  o:)
    So how about it col-vu meters on an iss claymore? I’m up for it if you are!
  • edited August 2019
    Yuk Yuk eeeck
    Do you think it would sound better ? or is it glitter for show like small man big car?

• AntiCrap said:
    Yuk Yuk eeeck
    Do you think it would sound better ? or is it glitter for show like small man big car?

So your not convinced Col, what about a nice ornamental evacuated tube on the front instead? 
  • edited August 2019
    Well if the nasty man won’t let us have our ball back, as a plan B I’m happy to have a meter wired to each ear.
  • phorize said:
    AntiCrap said:
    Yuk Yuk eeeck

So your not convinced Col, what about a nice ornamental evacuated tube on the front instead? 
    Tube of Tooth Paste or wishful thinking ? I have the ideal Tube

• Knew all this meter nonsense reminded me of an existing amp.....

• Aww, I like the Claymore with VU meters, even if they wouldn't make it sound better!
  • edited August 2019

• uglymusic said:
    Aww, I like the Claymore with VU meters, even if they wouldn't make it sound better!
    Dave Specsaver are doing deals for OAP, I got mine last year. :D
  • With my mind addled by vu meters and rose tinted memories of times gone by I have gone and bought an accuphase e202. Luckily it’s clean as a whistle, unmolested electronically speaking and no signs of past failure. I want to bring it up to spec, but this one is way beyond my capability. I’m looking for a recommendation for a uk based restorer/technician who would have both the ability and appreciation of good engineering practice to test and restore this amp to a very high standard.

Any thoughts?