KRK V-Series 8

edited October 2019 in Loudspeakers
I've recently started a Fine Arts Course at SGS College Stroud.
As well as visual arts there are vocational courses and music.
I was walking along a corridor at college today and passed by a room full of computers and audio equipment. Through the open door way came the sound of drums, bass and vocals. Sounded good. I paused in the doorway to investigate. At the far end of the room I could see a mixing desk and a window into a recording room.
I'm in a Foundation Degree class with some other oldies. But most of the students at the college are 18ish. This room was full of these younger folk. The one older gentlemen in the room noticed me peering in and came over to see what I was up to. After politely checking my student pass he asked if he could help. I explained I was on my way back to the art studios and had been intrigued by the music. He invited me in for a closer look at the recording facilities at the far end of the room.
There was some hoodied youth on the desk, and inside another young bloke laying down a drum track over the recorded bass and vocals. Very good he was too.
But in honesty I was more interested in the sound quality! :-)
It was impressively clear and punchy, with a solid deep bass. The speaker was doing well for an 8 inch woofer. Also, it's so lovely to hear music with little or no FX or compression! 
The speakers themselves had that chunky active-monitor look, which my host confirmed. 
I noted that the monitors in use were these: KRK Systems "V Series 8".  Never heard of them before (The hifi- and pro-audio world shall ever be separate!). I looked them up after I left.
The prices are also on different planets. A quick search reveals that these V Series 8s can be had new for a little over £800. They sounded as good as any hifi speaker I've heard at that price, and these active monitors don't even require you to buy and amp! So darn good value (though one would have to deal with weird pro-audio connectors of course :-o ).

Comments

• These look very interesting. I guess studio equipment has to measure well at a sustainable price-these are functional  rather than luxury goods. I am looking at interconnects and might get some mogami cables for this reason. Some of the best recordings in music have been made through these cables.
  • Good shout.
    i’ll be interested to read your findings if and when you do.
    As you suggest, i get the impression that there are significant differences in the ways that pro- and hifi-audio equipment is conceptualised, priced and marketed.
    If I get the chance i’ll chat again with the guy who runs the studio at college about his thoughts on equipment. I’ll ask about cables!
  • I've been intrigued by such speakers for ages but chickened out on the idea of taking some farty free jazz into a pro audio shop and asking for a demo. 

Has anyone ever tried doing this? 
  • No, though I almost went for Event Opals a few years back before meeting Mr Wonfor. I love the minimal hardware side of it, and would certainly be willing to compromise a few degrees of sound quality for that. And, I'm convinced it works out cheaper in a system wide context, as Ben suggests.

Some monitors aren't for me though, I've never been a fan of ATC despite them being obviously impressive. I much preferred the dome midrange of Ruark Crusader 2 to the vaunted ATC unit.

Dave - go for it! Noodly ugly jazz had to be recorded on something!

• The ones I like the look of are Neumann KH310 A with matching sub units, and anything on the larger side by MEG  (Gethain). I bet they would be awesome.