What are you reading?

JimJim
edited December 2010 in Books
Terry Pratchett - The Fifth Elephant

Comments

• Henning Mankell - The Eye of the Leopard
  • Terry Pratchett - The Fifth Elephant
    Where do I start with Pratchett? I have an itch and I want to scratch it  :-D
  • Although they don't go in sequence as such you should start with the Colour of Magic which is the first in the Discworld series.  You could read any of then but you appreciate the characters more having watched them develop.  Also he often makes references backwards as it were which you'll miss.

I'm up to date with him, 5th Elephant is a re read for me.
  • Thanks Jim

I like to start from the first book in a series.
  • Francis Wheen - How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered the World
  • Henning Mankell - Before the Frost
  • Funny how things change for us.  I spent ages reading crime fiction, lots of authors.  Then I went onto science fiction/fantasy.  Now it's mostly non-fiction.  I seem to get into a loop and one leads to another then another.  Then I feel burned out and don't read anything for a week or so then I need a complete change.  What I've found is that there are precious few decent comedy books.

About the only genre I don't read is biographies, not in the slightest bit interested in the lives of the great and good.  Oh, and books that win any kind of "prize" - never do anything for me.

It'll all loop round and I'll be back on crime again soon - I'm starting to miss it.
  • "First and the Last" by Adolf Galland.  Crap translation from the German, but interesting nevertheless.
  • Terry Pratchett - The Colour of Magic

Michael Dibden - Zen Omnibus
  • The mating mind - Geoffrey miller.
    A fascinating view on how evolutionary theory has overplayed natural selection and underplayed sexual selection.
  • How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered the World - Francis Wheen
  • In Search of the Multiverse - John Gribbin

UglyMusic, if you like(d) The Colour of Magic I've got one or two other early ones which you might enjoy. I think one of them is signed by the man himself from when he visited Brighton many years ago.
  • Introducing HTML5 by Lawson & Sharp (work related, very good if you're in to webby stuff.)

About to start 'Deep State' by Walter Jon Williams - his latest and an author I like a lot so I'm hoping this is up to his usual good standard (even better if it's up there with his early books.)

UglyMusic, if you like(d) The Colour of Magic I've got one or two other early ones which you might enjoy. I think one of them is signed by the man himself from when he visited Brighton many years ago.
    Sure would. Thanks!
  • Heston Blumenthal - The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • Noam Chomsky - Hegemony or Survival
  • One of his political works, then?
  • Ya think!  Very heavy, the sort of book where it's common to re-read a paragraph as soon as you've finished it.
  • Ya think!  Very heavy, the sort of book where it's common to re-read a paragraph as soon as you've finished it.
    You've got too much time on your hands, Mr Kempton :-)
  • I know  -it's fantastic!
  • Daniel Woodrell - Winter's Bone

What a fantastic piece of writing! I love the way he uses language.

I'll be tracking down more of his work.
  • I've a few on the go at the moment

LZ 75 - Stephen Davis book about zeps 75 US tour, quite good actually

Ben Hogan - Fundamentals of golf

Harvey Pennick - Little red golf book, still the best golf book around, must have read this a thousand times!
  • As I play Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall, the door bell rings and Robin DG Kelley's Thelonious Monk. The Life an Times of an American Original is delivered.

The universe is back in balance and running sweetly 
    B-)
  • edited June 2011
    Reading:- 
    Operational Amplifiers by G.B.Clayton again.
    story is boring pictures are great.
  • Didn't they make a movie of that?  :-"
  • fundamentals of hearing, an introduction,, william a yost &donald w nielson
  • Didn't they make a movie of that?  :-"
    They did and renamed it "RED" a good film for old guys.
  • http://librivox.org/
    This site has some nice books in many format ideal for long train or travel journeys. 
  • I was impressed with Kathy's Kindle I bought one for me. It does play MP3 and read me bed time stories about long tailed pairs.
    The read aloud feature is a good idea shame the voice is no Joanna Lumley.
    I am going to get some more Terry Pratchett, oh well back to the Long Tail Pairs there being chased by a Current Mirror and a Cascode monster. Scary stuff, lights off.
  • Made In America - Bill Bryson in pulped tree format
  • Very. It's about how American English is the way it is. Interesting, lots of surprises.
  • Hmm. Maybe I should have a look.

Mind you, I have a huge number to things to read, waiting on my Kindle.
  • The Eagle has landed  - Jack Higgins
  • Still with Steven Pinker's "the better angels of our nature". The decline of human violence, and it's causes.
  • "I Claudius" again and "Thud" just finished "Beowulf" in Anglo Saxon well worth reading.
  • No wonder you're Brain_Dead, Col :-)
  • No Brain Dead was due to Kathy beating my brains out with Germanium transistors and EL84 tubes, telling me that digital is now king. (she lies I hope).
  • This sounds like dangerous territory, probably best avoided :-)
  • http://profiles.incredible-people.com/reginald-aubrey-fessenden/
    Well worth reading, opens question on Marconi and Tesla.
  • Matthew Frederick - 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School
  • You Can't Say That  -   Ken Livingstone
  • Just completed Micro by Michael Crichton (same guy as Jurassic Park) well worth the read. Thanks Scott a great Xmas Gift.
    Now for more Micro-Programming stuff boring has hell. Linear Rules OK
  • Terry Pratchett - The Fifth Elephant
    Where do I start with Pratchett? I have an itch and I want to scratch it  :-D
    Going Postal is the best so far for me. 
  • Jo Nesbo - The Devil's Star.
  • Are you a Nesbo fan?
  • Big Nesbo fan. The last four books I've read have all been by Nesbo.
  • Hmm. I've read a lot of Scandinavian crime, but I've read a couple of Nesbo's and haven't really got on with them.

Must be me, as he seems very popular.
  • Which ones have you read Dave?