What gear to you have your eye on this year?

It must be asked, mustn't it?

Comments

• Sovereign is builiding and testing for me a huge balanced mains power supply, at what seems like a very reasonable cost. It seemed like the best option for spending a few hundred on kit.
    Should be here next week.
    Looking forward at pairing it against and with the AG1500...
  • For me this year I have a lot in the pipe line.  I'll be building a dual mono LDR pre amp this month as I'm extremey impressed with the one I've lashed together, so with a bit of care and attention I'm hoping to make something a bit special.
    I've also hade for new drivers in my loft that came in from the States which will allow me to upgrade my Lampizator P17 speakers to the P23's, the x-overs though will be a bit of a nightmare though, I'm hoping I havent bitten off more than I can chew here  :|
    I have a few mods on my DDDAC I want to try.
    After that I'd like to make some speaker cables and power chords. 

• For me this year I have a lot in the pipe line.  I'll be building a dual mono LDR pre amp this month as I'm extremey impressed with the one I've lashed together, so with a bit of care and attention I'm hoping to make something a bit special.
    I've also hade for new drivers in my loft that came in from the States which will allow me to upgrade my Lampizator P17 speakers to the P23's, the x-overs though will be a bit of a nightmare though, I'm hoping I havent bitten off more than I can chew here  :|

Very impressive,
    I'm thinking of changing your user name here to "audio-artisan" ;-D

Serious shit, man!
  • The only shit is what I don't know.
    All I can do is bake cakes, give me a recipee and I'll follow it.  
  • Following the success of Sovereign's BPS, Ben orders one of James' cakes...

• I'd like to upgrade just about everything - DAC, bring in the Green God and maybe even get some floorstanding loudspeakers. Oh, and buy a larger capacity, more powerful NAS.

I suspect the house will come first!
  • If your thinking of a new DAC is would very strongly recormend the DDDAC, In fact I have never heard a better DAC 
  • Thanks James

Maybe I can give yours a listen when the time comes?
  • I would love a full fat SECA pre-amplifier this year.

Also have plans for balanced mains.

Sort out my Garrard, better phono cables, arm re-wire, cartridge etc. Especially cartridge.
  • edited January 2015
    I would love a full fat SECA pre-amplifier this year.

Also have plans for balanced mains.

Sort out my Garrard, better phono cables, arm re-wire, cartridge etc. Especially cartridge.
    Alan i have one of Col's nice class A power amp jobbies, an Inca Design ID25, overhauled by Quickie (including making it dual mono). It's sitting on top of my wardrobe. I don't how "full fat" you regard that, but you're welcome to borrow it for the duration. :)
  • Thank you, Ben. That's most kind of you, a generous offer.

I already have a full fat SECA amp, 30 Watt monos which I built with Col last year. Only the Iridium is comparable, so I'm sorted for power (unless you know how to help me build a regulated power supply for it?)

What I'd love is a SECA pre amplifier that does my amps justice. I hope to be aable to build this later in the year.
  • Thank you, Ben. That's most kind of you, a generous offer.

I already have a full fat SECA amp, 30 Watt monos which I built with Col last year. Only the Iridium is comparable, so I'm sorted for power (unless you know how to help me build a regulated power supply for it?)

What I'd love is a SECA pre amplifier that does my amps justice. I hope to be aable to build this later in the year.
    Ah. Of course. Those beasts! :)
    My bloody memory... I'm sure the care assistant will be along with my cocoa shortly...

"unless you know how to help me build a regulated power supply for it?" Ah, the new OED definition for "rhetorical question"...
  • My plan for this year is to start another DDDAC build, using all new parts as mine is showing signs of wear and tear from continuous dismantling in pursuit of improved performance.....I've somehow managed to introduce a feature whereby the left channel is slightly louder than the right as well.....whoops. Going to throw the kitchen sink at this new one with a superior power supply, lots of foo capacitors and fairy dust.

The only other change I intend to make is to get a new amp.  2.5w was never going to drive anything other than a 100db+ sensitivity speaker.  I am hankering after an Audio Note integrated which worked wonders with my speakers.  18 watts of class A.

2015 = the year of system simplicity = just a DAC + integrated amp + speakers.  
    (so I'm forecasting by June I'll be back with a pre/power, phono stage, turntable not to mention digital room correction!)

• My plan for this year is to start another DDDAC build, using all new parts as mine is showing signs of wear and tear from continuous dismantling in pursuit of improved performance.....I've somehow managed to introduce a feature whereby the left channel is slightly louder than the right as well.....whoops. Going to throw the kitchen sink at this new one with a superior power supply, lots of foo capacitors and fairy dust.

The only other change I intend to make is to get a new amp.  2.5w was never going to drive anything other than a 100db+ sensitivity speaker.  I am hankering after an Audio Note integrated which worked wonders with my speakers.  18 watts of class A.

2015 = the year of system simplicity = just a DAC + integrated amp + speakers.  
    (so I'm forecasting by June I'll be back with a pre/power, phono stage, turntable not to mention digital room correction!)

That's fantastic James
    I'm looking at upgrading the psu to the DAC boards, with some help from others.
    I would be very interested to know how you get on with your new builds.
  • For me...nothing as I've spent all the grace and favour on either building new kit or buying it last year. I've returned to valves and have a rather nice sounding Emille valve amp, plus have built a Hagerman Cornet 3 valve phonostage to go with it.

For the rest, there's three sets of speakers here with another set of demo Raptors about to be built.  I'd say other than building kit for other people, I won't be changing anything this year.