Gubemusic.com offering ECM in 24-bit

edited June 2012 in Jazz
Having just enthused about the fantastic sound quality of Charles Lloyd's Mirror in 24-bit, I find that Gubemusic.com is going to be selling ECM 24-bit downloads.

They previously promised that they'd have all ECM new releases in 24-bit. Now, that would be something!

And we Limeys won't have to be frustrated at not being able to buy from HDtracks, of course.

Comments

• Good news.
    Any info on their catalogue?
    Btw from where and how do these hd outlets source their products?
  • ECM's back catalogue? Gubemusic have some on the site already, but not as much as HDtracks, unfortunately.

I believe the ECM 24-bit downloads are from ECM. I don't think they'd allow anyone to bugger about with their recordings, given how much effort they've put into recording quality over the years, although I seem to recall someone complaining about an ECM recording HDtracks were selling.

If you have a root around on the Gubemusic site, you'll see some other 24-bit material, but I haven't seen any details on how they're sourced.
  • Righto.
    I'll have a root around...
    Presuming that most studio mastering is digital these days, what studio bit rates and sampling frequencies are de rigeur atm...?
  • I don't know the answer on bit rates and sampling frequencies. It really depends who you read. Maybe it varies from studio to studio, according to how new their kit is, or how much they've invested in it?
  • I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, decent redbook trumps average Hi Rez after all. I'd be interested to know if ECM sanctioned these releases.
  • I'm sure you're right.
    I am curious to know whether any gap has opened up between what we mortal music consumers consider "hd" and what stratospheric figures studios may consider desirable.
  • Sorry. I shoud be saying "hi-res", not hd. Lazy writing.
  • Lazy thinking actually.
  • Read the Gubemusic posts. They seem legit, and Gubemusic's owner Bugge Wesseltoft is a musician himself who owns a record label putting his own and other musicians' stuff out.

The exciting thing here is that ECM are just about the only remaining company putting reasonable budgets into jazz recordings. Their Redbook is great, but I think their hi-res is even better.
  • T'is true, their standard SQ is the best I have heard anywhere.
  • Read the Gubemusic posts. They seem legit, and Gubemusic's owner Bugge Wesseltoft is a musician himself who owns a record label putting his own and other musicians' stuff out.

The exciting thing here is that ECM are just about the only remaining company putting reasonable budgets into jazz recordings. Their Redbook is great, but I think their hi-res is even better.
    Not Brugge 'a lot of nothing' wesseltoft...?!
    I am intrigued...!
    I am intrigued...!
    Go find Charles Lloyd's Mirror in hi-res (or even Redbook) and be blown away!

Not Brugge 'a lot of nothing' wesseltoft...?!
    Eh?
  • Obscure reference to some old posts.
    Ne'er mind...
    I am intrigued...!
    Will do.
    I am intrigued...!
    Will do.
    I have the hi-res, and I don't think I can name a better recording.
  • I just got an e-mail from Gubemusic.com.

Here are the 24-bit ECMs http://www.gubemusic.com/label_332. Charles Lloyd's Mirror is there (the recording I've been raving about).
  • Thanks Dave.
    For some reason gubemusic sounds German to me. Danke meine freund - die gubemusic ist sehr gut. Ich habe die bier nien?
  • I just bought John Surman's new album, Saltash Bells, as a 24/96 FLAC download.

Loads of reed-derived fruity, resonant low notes.