Nva amps- what are the loudspeakers you 've heard better with them?

edited January 2012 in Loudspeakers
Hello guys, another big question, as you know,  the speakers are the most important components in a rig ,
in your experience , what are the best couple of speakers you 've heard wth nva amps ?
tnx in adv
bye
s.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I wouldn't say the speakers are the most important part of a rig. I wouldn't say any part is. For me, it's getting the whole lot working together.

But, returning to question... for my money, Royds. Richard Dunn would agree, too. I have RR3s and I used to have Minstrels.

And 15 years ago I ran a pair of small Impulse H6 horns, which were coloured, but a whole lot of fun.
  • Hi ugly , well i've to admit I was not very clear, lets say . the speakers are the components that give more the sound character to a stereo setup , more than the source and the amp let's say, well anyway is just my humble opinion :-) , tnx
    ciao
    s.
  • Sorry, just being picky

• NVA Cube 1s.
    Dynaudio Audience 82s good too.
  • BTW whenever I've tried a different pair is speakers with my nva amps, I've always been surprised that the variations in sound has not been greater.
  • Quad ESL57's - seriously good match ( Mr Dunn developed his amps using these )

Any Royds

Linn Kans Mk1 

• They are good amplifiers so I would expect any speaker to work well, assuming a large enough model is selected  to ensure no clipping.

• edited January 2011
    Looking to the features, seems rega rs3 suit well to nenevalley audio amplifiers...
    Anyone have tried them?
    ciao
    tnx
    s.
  • edited January 2012

Sorry to revive this long dead 'un, but I've been getting fabulous results using RS3s with an AP50. Some genuine synergy going on there I think. Can't wait to hear what they're like with the A80s.

• If they like an AP50, they will adore A80s. You are in for a treat!
  • If they like an AP50, they will adore A80s. You are in for a treat!
    What he said!
  • Tried loads over the years,all worked fine.Nothing worked better with the NVA's then any other amps tbh.

Paul.

• Tried loads over the years,all worked fine.Nothing worked better with the NVA's then any other amps tbh.

Paul.

That's interesting Paul. I had always wondered how sensitive these amps are to speakers but had erred on the side of caution, not even letting them see certain speakers in the same room!! A slight exaggeration perhaps...So they are not so namby-pamby wrt speakers as I thought?

• RD always said to me the Statement amps would drive just about anything. It's the lower powered models that are more fussy.

I think really it's down to adopting a kind of minimalist approach if you like the NVAs. Passive - or no - pre, simple cross-overs, not too many drive units and so on. If you mix unlike design philosophies you may well end up with a cat's breakfast.
  • You're absolutely right in what you say of course, about diluting design philosophies. Stick with one or t'other.
  •  

Tried loads over the years,all worked fine.Nothing worked better with the NVA's then any other amps tbh.

Paul.

That's interesting Paul. I had always wondered how sensitive these amps are to speakers but had erred on the side of caution, not even letting them see certain speakers in the same room!! A slight exaggeration perhaps...So they are not so namby-pamby wrt speakers as I thought?

I dont think they are,but have moved on from NVA stuff so no need to worry :)

Paul.

• Now, why would you do a thing like that, Paul? <Ducks!>
  • Lol.....you should try a SE A Class Dave..........another league :)

Paul.

• You can use any speaker cables on it too (shock horror)
  • Yes,really........but TQ works best :)

Paul.

• Are they that good?
  • Yes,they are.Do you want to try one out ? Got a 15w here you could borrow.Nice room heater as well....lol :)

Paul.

• Hmm. If you knew how warm our flat is, you'd know the heat output would be a stumbling block in itself.

I'd be interested in hearing it sometime, though.

I'm off to bed now, though. TTFN.
  • Laters Dude x