Chews works very nicely on iPhone

edited January 2012 in Parish notices
Ok. No news to some who've been using the site for ages on their smartphones, but because I work from home most of the time, and have my laptop at others, I've never tried it.

I'm very impressed.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Its OK on my android but better on my iTouch. There is a nice stripped down version of chews which works very well. My only issues on android have been:
    • Can't send private messages, need to access main site for that and then I have to reset my cache to get back to the mobile version.
    • If I reply to a private post or a private message or similar I cannot post anywhere without another cache reset.

My guess would be this is down to android and my dumb phone though.

• I've not tried PM'ing, I must admit.

I'll send you one later and see what happens.
  • And it has improved over the past year.
    These days when I click on a thread on my iPhone, as long as I'm logged in, I am taken immediately to the most recent new unread posts. In the past, the thread would simply open at the beginning, which was inconvenient, and sometimes unusable (e.g. for the 'Listening to' thread).
    As long as I have a 3G connection it's great. In fact, I'm here on my iPhone more often than a PC (ironically, PC now though).
    Ben
  • Yeah. There have been quite a few upgrades over the last year
  • I think it's a good platform. (If that's the right term...?)
    Good choice Mr. R.
    Ben
  • That can be the correct term, Ben.

It was @tenpastmidnight wot recommended it.
  • Works perfectly at 110mph on a Virgin Pendolino :D

In fact I think this is the best forum software I've seen for mobile devices.
  • edited January 2012
    Cool.

I think the key thing about Vanilla is that it was designed from the ground up a lot later than the big names. It's easier to integrate with social media (more news on that to come shortly) and doesn't have to jump through so many hoops to work with mobile devices.
  • Works very well on my BlackBerry
  • Good. I was going to be rude about blackberries, but after being rude about His Bobness, I'd have to be careful on Saturday ;-)
  • Blackberries for desert then?
  • Depends what they're laced with :-)
  • Works perfectly at 110mph on a Virgin Pendolino :D

In fact I think this is the best forum software I've seen for mobile devices.
    I've just tried to read another forum (no names, no pack drill) on my iPhone and discovered that I need to pay £1.99 for an app to read it properly!

I wonder if people are buying this app - on the App Store, the publishers are claiming a squillion downloads, so I guess some are.