Please introduce yourself

Comments

• Hi Col
    I'm a few miles up the Road in Dunfermline.
    Daley Bay hits the front pages regularly these days, Radiation levels are above the norm, they are putting it down to the dumping of ww2 aircraft altitude gauges in the Forth. Probably good advice not to linger too long near your expensive hifi kit!
    Question for Alan, is it possible to view the latest comments in a thread rather than the first? I can't se the option anywhere. It's no biggie if it's not possible.

Jim

• Hi Jim,

Yes and I went swimming often in the stuff, well it is better than Ready Wreck.

That and the fish in the dry docks, what a smell.

Expensive Hi-fi what cheek, the Olympics Games was expensive and temporary.,music lives with you for ever.

Oh has the Firework display been and gone yet?

Take Care Col
  • Hi James, hope you are well. Yes I like them, maybe even a bit more open and musical, but not the weight and power and impact to the music. I paid £1800 for them, so I believe they are a lot of speaker for the money. How's things with you, have you still got the Bel Canto?

Best wishes

Justin
  • is it possible to view the latest comments in a thread rather than the first? I can't se the option anywhere. It's no biggie if it's not possible.
    if you are logged in, I think this happens automatically.
    Welcome.
    Ben
  • Once you've logged in and read some, you'll just see the new stuff.

HTH
  • Hi James, hope you are well. Yes I like them, maybe even a bit more open and musical, but not the weight and power and impact to the music. I paid £1800 for them, so I believe they are a lot of speaker for the money. How's things with you, have you still got the Bel Canto?

Best wishes

Justin
    Hi Justin.  No, I sold the Bel Canto and have a PS Audio Perfect Wave Dac Mk2.  My system is in a constant state of flux.....as usual :-)
  • Hi Col
    I'm a few miles up the Road in Dunfermline.
    Daley Bay hits the front pages regularly these days, Radiation levels are above the norm, they are putting it down to the dumping of ww2 aircraft altitude gauges in the Forth. Probably good advice not to linger too long near your expensive hifi kit!
    Question for Alan, is it possible to view the latest comments in a thread rather than the first? I can't se the option anywhere. It's no biggie if it's not possible.

Jim

Jim - sorry I missed this!

As Dave said, it's automatic once you log in, you'll be shown the thread from the last post you read.

Best click 'mark all viewed' at the top of the page, then you should land on the latest posts everywhere.
  • Good stuff James, all part of this great hobby! What's next on the list???
  • Next on the list is to hear a wide range of valve and SS power amps to compare against my DIY mono blocks. After that I'm pretty much done as far as two channel is concerned and would like to build a complimentary home cinema system - same front speakers but the rest will likely be different.  It needs to be simple for my family to use which my current setup isn't.
  • I'll be interested in how you achieve this, James. Sometime in the future, I think I'll want to get hi-fi and home cinema to co-exist in the same room without compromise to either and with the minimum number of boxes.
  • Good luck with it all!
  • Greetings,

Joel here. Found my way to this forum via a recommendation from an ebay seller whom i was pestering to break up his Royds for spares..

Currently working for a HiFi dealer in London, again, after 7 or so years out of the industry. Thouhgt it best to mention this upfront rather than being exposed at a leter date ;)

My main system is a combination of Heybrook HB1s, Pro-Ject 7 integrated, Rega P3 with Mayware MC, and AVI S2000 CD.

I have a second sytem comprising of a passive pre, active crossover, crimson power amps, and Royd Apex speakers, all of which requires some attention before I power it up.

Am yet to dive into the computer audio thing, but in the process of choosing software to make my laptop a little more HiFI - any recommendations?

My musical tastes are varied, and I'd be hard pressed to think of an entire genre I don't like, but can honestly say I hate Gabba!!

Long time Royd lover, and fan of less than full width components.

Looking forward to getting involved.

All The Best

JD
  • Hi Joel and welcome!

We don't make any distinction here between trade and hobbyists.

Is it a Windows laptop?

• A dealer eh...? Get all your skeletons out in the open Joel...! ;-)
    What the bloody hell is gabba...?
  • Dealer shmealer, it's all good! Welcome to Chews, Joel!
  • A dealer eh...? Get all your skeletons out in the open Joel...! ;-)
    What the bloody hell is gabba...?
    Hey Man I just work there.. mostly packing the mail-order items, and keeping the kettle hot!

If it's of any interest, none of us here get direct commission from manufacturers, so any hint of brand loyalty is strictly out of personal preference.

I'm not sure I even know what Gabba is... some sort of mechanical industrial techno i think. Bloody terrible raclet, and definitely requires excessive use of mind bending chemicals to enjoy.

Oh, and yes it is a windows laptop. Have been looking at a programme called Breakaway audio enhancer.. any opinions?

JD
  • racket even 
    :\">
  • I never heard of it - is it like fidelizer or whatever it's called?

I use a smallMac, with Audirvana+. It has an option to 'optimise' the computer for audio playback when in use by disabling loads of stuff, then reinstating it when you quit from it. It's very worthwhile in my experience.
  • edited September 2012
    What is it you and Jim use on Windows lappies, Alan? The free one. 

And people speak highly of JRiver. 
  • And people speak highly of JRiver. 
    Yes, in fact the bee gees were among the first to take it up.
  • I use Foobar, it has loads of plugins.
  • Have considered foobar already, not least because it has plugins for using ipods without the need for itunes (if I remember correctly).

The breakaway audio enhancer was recommended to me by a friend who uses their broadcast radio software for his radio station

http://www.claessonedwards.com/index.php

Not ready to try the trial version yet, but as soon as the sun starts setting before work ends, i'll be dedicating some time to the laptop's audio configuration.

Not heard of jriver, but will be sure to check it out

On an entirely different note.. Anyone got a spare Royd Apex LF unit? :D
  • @Alan. What was that mob who bought up all the remaining Royd spares some time back?
  • Phonography.. Tried them already, but their supply has long since been exhausted.

I talked to a chap at rega, and apparently you can order a modified version of their their RR125 5"unit (intended for mk1 ELAs) that will fit. They basically trim off the fixing tabs, and drill 8 holes in the round part of the support. This would mean ordering a pair tho, and I dont know for sure if they are really a direct replacement for the in house Royd unit.

Will be what i get if nothing comes up.

• That's 'em!

Unfortunately, that seems the problem with many Royds. There are no drivers available for my RR3s, either.

I think I'd keep an eye open on eBay before looking at the Rega units. From what I understand, Joe Akroyd liked modding drive units.
  • Indeed, had been thinking along those lines already. Does seem a shame to butcher another set of speakers to repair mine... narrowly missed out on a pair of Mk1 ELAs that had battered tweeters, and beaten up cabs. Wouldn't have felt too bad breaking those up
    8-|
  • Hello, just joined today after being pointed in this direction over on Pink Fish in a thread I'd started covering my refoaming a pair of Royd Sevens. I was told there are a few Royd fans over here, which sounds good to me :D

Anyway, a bit about me - I've really only recently got back into decent hi-fi but dipped my toes in the water back in the 90s and took far too much notice of magazine reviews and 5 star awards. That coupled with a dealer who didn't guide me in the right directions meant I ended up with a system I was never that happy with, then along came kids and other distractions and I kinda lost my way.

Since getting back into it I've managed to pick up a few items I really like second hand and now have the following modest but dare I say decent sounding systems:

Main:
    Rega Planar 3 Turntable
    Marantz CD52 MkII SE CD Player (had it for years and now only used as a transport, I recently replaced the drawer mechanism after it disintegrated which is a common problem with these)
    Pure i20 Dock (taking lossless digital from my 160GB iPod Classic)
    TEAC UD-H01 DAC (being fed the digital stream from the Marantz via coax and the Pure via optical)
    Denon TU-260L Tuner
    TEAC V-510 Cassette Deck (very old this one and I've had it for ages but despite having few tapes I just can't bring myself to tuck it away in a dusty cupboard and resale value is probably about nil)
    Creek 4040S2 Amp
    Rega Ela Mk 1.25 Speakers (these are the ones with the half fluted cabinet and Royd drivers)

Second system (office)
    Onkyo ND-S1 Dock (used with the same iPod as above)
    Rotel RA-930AX Amp (another item I've had for years)
    Royd Seven Speakers (the ones I've just fixed up :D )

As I say it's modest but the sound is vastly better now than it has ever been and no offence to fans of Mission but I think in my system the major blockage was my use of the 760i and then the 780 for many years. With the Rega Elas and Royd Sevens there's been a quite staggering transformation to my ears!

Anyway, I plan to play around with things more because I guess that's what happens when the bug hits you! I'd love to try some Royd Minstrels in my main system and am toying with the idea of getting a Nait 3 for that too. I'd then move the Creek, which is lovely, into the office system and the Rotel, which now is actually not bad with the Royds (it was awful with the Missions), out. After that I think I might be looking at some Planar 3 upgrades but that's a whole other can of worms eh! I also want to get my head round computer streaming as I'm slowly but surely ripping my CDs to hard drive and it seems like the way of the future. I have an old Macbook I can use for starters and plan to do a clean install of Snow Leopard and upgrade the RAM at the same time with as much as it'll take.

With the second system I'd like to swap the Onkyo out and get another Pure i20 which will allow me to pull a digital stream form the iPod and let me give give give something like the FiiO D3 DAC which seems like a potentially massive bargain at under £30 and is getting some very positive comments around the forums.

On the way I may well pick up the odd lost and broken Royd I think and try some first aid on them, doing the Sevens has given me rather a taste for it! :D

Music tastes are pretty wide, I love Jazz, Rock, Indie and electronic stuff and occasionally listen to a bit of classical and folk (I'm originally form Scotland so like all that stuff) - to be honest it's difficult to say much more than that but I don't like badly recorded stuff (recently just about barfed when I tried to listen to a couple of Killers albums I got in a charity shop!). I have a big soft spot for Pink Floyd I guess but there's so much more as well and far too much to list. Today I've been listening to Badly Drawn Boy, Alela Diane, Ray LaMontagne , Anima, FSOL and Biosphere and later I might do some Bjork and Nickelback - hows that for eclectic!

So there you go :D

BTW,  if you want to have a read/look that thread I mentioned on my Royd Sevens (complete with lots of photos) [url=http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125690]is here[/url]
  • Hello, I'm IslandPink and I'm an addict .. sorry, which forum is this ?
    Seems like a friendly forum , I've been on here a bit talking about Tellurium cables already .
    I'm in my late 40's and have been listening to music since my teens, but actively building DIY stuff since about 2001 . I'm really a valve guy, and analogue rather than digital . I like a wide range of music, but the core of my LP collection is the 1966-1972 prog/psych/folk stuff . I have quite a bit of late 50's / early 60's jazz/blues and some of the more interesting 1980's stuff too . Singer-songwriter stuff from the 70's too, forgot, Joni Mitchell, John Martyn, Neil Young , you know the score .

I tend to inhabit the 'Audio Talk' forum & know the guys there very well from the Owston and Eggborough meetings we have, though I post on a few forums in the US too .

My main system is :
    Denon 103R /Mayware formula IV / Nottingham Hyperspace / Verus rim-drive
    Pre-amp : homebuilt - Tribute step-ups, D3a, D3a passive RIAA, shunt-regulated.
    Power amp: C3g Pentode-driven 6B4G or 300B Single-ended, regulated supply . Fancy amorphous-core transformers from Dave Slagle or Bud Purvine in the US .
    Lynn Olson 'Ariel' speakers, plus parts of the forthcoming 4-way horn system including some nice GPA ( Altec ) 288 alnico compression drivers with Azurahorns .
    The system sound has gone up a notch since playing around with Colin's wires though .

Was that enough gobbledygook ;o)

Cheerio for now & remember that 'Music is the best'

• Another good guy with analog yipeee
  • Hello, I'm IslandPink and I'm an addict .. sorry, which forum is this ?
    Seems like a friendly forum , I've been on here a bit talking about Tellurium cables already .
    I'm in my late 40's and have been listening to music since my teens, but actively building DIY stuff since about 2001 . I'm really a valve guy, and analogue rather than digital . I like a wide range of music, but the core of my LP collection is the 1966-1972 prog/psych/folk stuff . I have quite a bit of late 50's / early 60's jazz/blues and some of the more interesting 1980's stuff too . Singer-songwriter stuff from the 70's too, forgot, Joni Mitchell, John Martyn, Neil Young , you know the score .

I tend to inhabit the 'Audio Talk' forum & know the guys there very well from the Owston and Eggborough meetings we have, though I post on a few forums in the US too .

My main system is :
    Denon 103R /Mayware formula IV / Nottingham Hyperspace / Verus rim-drive
    Pre-amp : homebuilt - Tribute step-ups, D3a, D3a passive RIAA, shunt-regulated.
    Power amp: C3g Pentode-driven 6B4G or 300B Single-ended, regulated supply . Fancy amorphous-core transformers from Dave Slagle or Bud Purvine in the US .
    Lynn Olson 'Ariel' speakers, plus parts of the forthcoming 4-way horn system including some nice GPA ( Altec ) 288 alnico compression drivers with Azurahorns .
    The system sound has gone up a notch since playing around with Colin's wires though .

Was that enough gobbledygook ;o)

Cheerio for now & remember that 'Music is the best'

IP,
    Welcome and thanks.
    I share none of your kit, but much of your music...!
    :-)
  • Welcome. Even if Colin thinks he has an ally :-)

I don't know much of your gear, but, like Ben I have a bit of music overlap.

Personally, I think we're more like Fraggle Rock :-B
  • edited November 2012
    Welcome. Even if Colin thinks he has an ally :-)

Dave's the one in the red sweater obviously, trying the visualise what shape are the sounds that his claves are making...

Dave's the one in the red sweater obviously, trying the visualise what shape are the sounds that his claves are making...
    In fact, I'm sure I'm listening to a band with that exact line up right now on 'Ambient dub vol 2' over in the "listening to thread'...

Well spotted!
  • Welcome IP, I'm glad to see an analogue man to 'rebalance the force'! Looks like you know what you know what you're talking about when it comes to audio, but we won't hold that against you!

(I'm the grumpy looking one sitting on the tree in the fraggle rock pic)
  • I am hiding in the cave, all the digital freaks are playing and it sounds dreadful.
  • What we need is a better DAC :-)
  • Digital Alternate Col !!!! with ON OFF OFF Broken.
  • That's the one!
  • Digital Alternate Col !!!! with ON OFF OFF Broken.
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make digital sound as good as you think analogue does.

[your turntable will self destruct in five seconds]

• Done it but the cost was silly remortgage and sell the kids time, oh and Dave`s motor car. The latter was the last straw, so shelved it until rich widow comes along.
  • Well, I'm not selling the motor car  X(
  • Well, I'm not selling the motor car  X(
    But Dave you said you would now I am upset. O:-)
  • Done it but the cost was silly remortgage and sell the kids time, oh and Dave`s motor car. The latter was the last straw, so shelved it until rich widow comes along.
    All I'm seeing here are excuses!!!  ;)  Try again, this time with the parts from a Casio watch and some chewing gum wrapping. You may still beat the competition...
  • I am hiding in the cave, all the digital freaks are playing and it sounds dreadful.
    They can't be digital freaks Colin - look at the joy on their happy faces !
    Nobody there is breaking the music down into 16 pieces and trying to reconstruct it .
  • 24 bits, I'll have you know! >:)
  • Hi

My name is Lasse and I am from Sweden, I looked into this forum with interest from Colin who speaks a lot here. I liked what I saw and now I try to join, interesting..

I have like a workshop of hifi-systems at home, since I have a shop in Sweden selling hifi.

I am 48 years young and still curious about all hifi and music, in different ways, vinyl-CD and so on,,I also like classic music and old Jazz more and more, the older I get..

Guess that´s who I am

Glad to be here anyway

Hope to contribute in discussions in some strange ways sometimes..
  • Hi Lasse.
    As usual we are shamed by the command of English by our Scandinavian cousins...
    Could we ask for a little more info on your 'workshop of hifi-systems' please....?
  • Welcome Lasse

Please tell us some more about your gear.
  • Hi Lasse, 

You got here at last, catch up soon.

Best Col