Sam and Dave or What Gigs Do You Remember?

This discussion was created from comments split from: SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC.

Comments

• Sure I saw them at Greenford Odian? The stacks tour, inc Otis Reading, Booker T, Lee Dorsey? can't remember the rest, how sad. Late 60s?
  • Sure I saw them at Greenford Odian? The stacks tour, inc Otis Reading, Booker T, Lee Dorsey? can't remember the rest, how sad. Late 60s?
    Some gig!
  • Yep, from what I can remember, couldn't have been more than than 15/16 years old though!
  • Yep, from what I can remember, couldn't have been more than than 15/16 years old though!
    For me, it's the gigs from my teens and 20s that seem to be the best.
  • absolutely.... What gigs where you at then? Is that when jazz found you?
  • Shamefully, my first gig was Rick Wakeman's King Arthur on Ice. I also saw Pink Floyd's Animals concert at Earl's Court. And Genesis there as well, I think. Certainly Genesis, not sure if it was Earl's Court.

I remember enjoying them at the time.

Jazz infiltrated over time. I remember Dave Brubeck's Take Five and Van Morrison's Moondance on the radio from when I was very young. Then, in my early- to mid-teens, I started looking for music I really liked, because, TBH, I never really got off on prog, which was the standard musical diet of the Sarf London grammar school boy.

I found some soul and funk, along with the Crusaders, and Tom Scott and the LA Express.

My first jazz gigs were Weather Report at Hammersmith Odeon - I think I saw them three times from roughly 1976 to 1979. They were fantastic. But the best I saw them was at Birmingham Odeon in about 1981, which may be the best gig I've ever seen.

I started to go to more conventional gigs - in pubs, clubs and bars - when I went to university. 
  • Wow, Take five and Moondance Two of of my favorites. Weather  Report, Hammersmith Odeon, I think was there at some point, didn't realize they were jazz. Hammersmith Odeon was just up the road from us in Ealing  saw so many bands there, the list to far to mention here, Happy days!!
  • edited October 2022
    Absolutely jazz, by my reckoning. But maybe not to some sections of the jazz police  :o.

One of my favourite venues, Hammy Odeon, even if it was a trek from me. Saw Miles Davis for the first time there, and a scorching gig by Was Not Was.
  • H O was just up the road, great place. My biggest memory not necessarily musical, Ted Nugent drove home totally deaf. My wife, Joan Amertrading, front row. Still remembers this to this day, how good is that?
  • Memories...

My favourite London venue of all time is/was the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town, though. 
  • My earliest gigs would have been at the Guildford Civic Hall.
    Not sure which was the first but would have been a local band, The Stranglers, The Jam, Genesis????

A particular gig that sticks in my mind, at the same venue, was the then barely known in the UK INXS, supported by the very new to the scene Sinead O'Conner, blasting out Mandeeka.
    Both were impressive on the night.
  • I remember friends telling me that INXS were great live. Somehow, I never got round to seeing them.
  • Most rewarding and intense probably Bruce Springsteen. Wembley and on song with the born to run tour. Saxophonist hanging from the balcony, over ran by 40min+ Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but amazing none the less.
  • I have a friend who is Springsteen mad. She tries to see him several times on each tour, for some reason  ;)
  • edited October 2022
    No never Springsteen mad.  I was wrong on the venue though, my wife who sometimes has great moments of clarity, insisted it was Hammersmith so I looked it up. We saw the first tour for the album, 1970s and of course Clarence the sax player hanging from the balcony confirms Hammersmith. Sometimes the experience out ways the content, although I still have a great respect for this album. 

• Hammy Odeon is/was always preferable to Wembley (IMHO).
  • First proper gig was The Soup Dragons at Bristol Bier Keller in 1990.
    It was packed. I think the gig itself was OK, but as it was me and my mates' first gig, the experience was life changing!
    Was very into indie music at the time. So went to loads of gigs in the early 90s. Jesus Jones were always very good.

I also remember Galliano in Manchester c1993 being brilliant.
    Stone Roses at Heaton Park 2012 was a surprisingly good gig.

Also, on the two occasions I've been to New Orleans, almost every band playing in the little bars of Frenchman Street has wowed me. None especially famous, but the standard is wonderfully high there.
  • The Soup Dragons!  :)

I imagine the Galliano gig was great. 
  • Lots of sets at the long-gone Bracknell Jazz Festival were fabulous.

A duet of pianist Abdullah Ibrahim and alto sax player Carlos Ward was just amazing. They started off so boring, I went to the record stall. Then, suddenly, WTF is going on in the marquee? I've always wished there was a bootleg.

Now that's a thought. Have any of you got a boot from a gig you've been to? I used to have a mixing desk recording of Miles Davis at the Royal Festival Hall sometime in the 1980s. At the time, I thought it was great; my mates didn't like the gig but came round to my point of view when they'd played the boot a few times. 

I don't know where the tape is now  :(