Ginger Baker

One of my all time musical heroes.

Seemed to be not the nicest chap in the world, but still thinking of him following his death.
I will be watching his documentary "Beware of Mr. Baker" to remember him!
If you have 90 seconds, watch the opening scene of it. Includes his best and worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josXy65dQI8

Comments

• edited October 2019
    I've long admired his playing, as a former drummer, but I wouldn't have liked to have met him. The doc you mention is well worth a view! Interestingly from a playing POV he has almost metronomic timing.

I believe he used to hang out with the Kutis in Nigeria for a long while, he built a studio over there IIRC.
  • edited October 2019
    Outlandishly good musician, a real gem. Also a very, very angry man. I do wonder if he had ptsd. I think that the documentary more or less poses this question near the end. He says his only clear memory of his father was when he ran along side the train in tears as he left to die in the war. Daughter says he could only communicate through drums. Glad he wasn’t my dad! I did buy a half speed master of Disraeli gears after hearing of his death-looking forward to it. 
  • He certainly had his demons. Seems like he self-medicated rather than sought professional help.
    Yes Alan, his timing is unnatural. Even when going ten to the dozen!
  • A great loss.

And yes, there's a live album with Fela Kuti out there.
  • He was the only drummer I can think of with similar power to Buddy Rich. A drum battle between then would have been thrilling (but from 500 metres away).

Didn't know about the live album though. 👍