Beastie Boys

Their first album  "Licensed to Ill" is awful. Terrible musically, and worse, gave the band a bad name.

But, reversing the usual "tricky second album" syndrome, their second album "Paul's Boutique" is a superb hip-hop piece. Creative and funky. Ahead of its time in some ways. It doesn't sound like 1989.
And from then on they produced stuff that I absolutely love. Have been revisiting their albums this week. Probably Paul's Boutique and Ill Communication are my favourites, but all their albums hang together well for me, and contain at least a couple of top tracks each.

Could post loads of tunes, but will stick to this video, as it offer's "spot the celebrity cameos" opportunities for those who don't dig the Beasties...

Wondering if there are any other fans here...?

Comments

• At last. Something that Bud is useful for :-)
  • I've got the 'Beastie Boys Anthology''Sounds of Science', some brilliant tracks on that if you are in the mood, great band and I'm not generally a hip hop fan.
  • Yup, a few tracks break through my hip hop defences as well!
  • TBH, I remain unexcited by the Beasties. And by a lot of rap/hip-hop whatever terminology I should use.

I bought Grandmaster Flash's The Message when I came out, unaware of what genre it was in. The title track was somehow linked to Gil Scott-Heron, to my ears. And I had a great couple of hours pummelling my ears with Public Enemy yesterday, but then I start to struggle.
  • cotic said:
    I've got the 'Beastie Boys Anthology''Sounds of Science', some brilliant tracks on that if you are in the mood, great band and I'm not generally a hip hop fan.
    Thanks Cotic. I'll have to check out the track listing on that compilation.
    I would agree with "great band", very creative and imho somewhat different to the "painting-by-numbers" approach to hip-hop of other acts.
  • cj66 said:
    Yup, a few tracks break through my hip hop defences as well!
    "Hip-hop defences". Great turn of phrase.
  • edited July 2017
    uglymusic said:
    TBH, I remain unexcited by the Beasties. And by a lot of rap/hip-hop whatever terminology I should use.

The Beastie's are known for their shouty hip-hop approach. Which, is not for everyone!
    But, interestingly they became increasingly interested in instrumental stuff. These 3 tracks are liberated from any trace of hip-hop per-se (though they remain quite funky).

Ricky's Theme (from "Ill Communication")

In 3s (from "Check your head")

POW (from "Check your head")

In fact, posting this is emboldening me to order the one Beasties album that I don't have - "The Mix Up", which was their one all-instrumental album.
  • Yeah. They are quite funky/acid jazzy.

Made me think of this:

A bit more jazzy, perhaps, but somehow in a similar genre.
  • uglymusic said:
    Yeah. They are quite funky/acid jazzy.

Made me think of this:

Can't disagree with that Dave.
    Similar genre indeed.
    A little bit more towards the refined and jazzy ends of the genre, and a little further away form the cheeky and funky ends, but a similar genre nevertheless.
    Quite enjoyed that. Thanks
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Yeah. They are quite funky/acid jazzy.

Made me think of this:

Can't disagree with that Dave.
    Similar genre indeed.
    A little bit more towards the refined and jazzy ends of the genre, and a little further away form the cheeky and funky ends, but a similar genre nevertheless.
    Quite enjoyed that. Thanks
    We continue to erode away at our other's prejudices :-)

FWIW, I think there are three Grassy Knoll albums, of which I have the first two. It's actually one guy, a bass player, playing all the instruments.
  • Wanting something for his musical instrument, a man walks into a shop.
    "Can I buy some bass guitar strings please...?" he asks.
    "Ah. You're a bass player then...?" replies the shop keeper.
    "Yes. Of course."
    "Thought so." Said the shop keeper. "This is a chip shop."
  • Docfoster said:
    Wanting something for his musical instrument, a man walks into a shop. "Can I buy some bass guitar strings please...?" he asks. "Ah. You're a bass player then...?" replies the shop keeper. "Yes. Of course." "Thought so." Said the shop keeper. "This is a chip shop."
    ROFL!
  • "To the five boroughs" is not my favourite of their albums, but I do love the opening track "Ch-check it out"... (usual mayhem video, I'm afraid...). Sounds awesome on the big Magisters... @-)
  • Yeah. I can imagine a certain majesty (see what I did there?).
  • uglymusic said:

Yeah. I can imagine a certain majesty (see what I did there?).

Indeed. :-)
    Again, your many years as a professional writer shining through like a beacon to us all.