Listening to ...

Comments

• Crows squawking and the Arabian sea. You won't find it on Spotify ;)
  • Crows squawking and the Arabian sea. You won't find it on Spotify ;)
    No. Spotty's really gone off the boil lately, hasn't it...?

... Enjoy your trip. :-)
  • Spaceways Incorporated - 13 Cosmic Standards by Sun Ra and Funkadelic

• Chet Baker's Unsung Swansong
  • Talvin Singh HA

Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill 
  • edited April 2017
    Back in the day (late 90s...?), that song always made me feel a bit frightened and alienated. And that that was her intention (not personally of course, but generally - as a man).
    Now I'm not so sure about the last sentence. Sounds like she had someone specific in mind.
  • Paulo Nutini " Growing up beside you"

• Docfoster said:

Suzy6toes said:

Back in the day (late 90s...?), that song always made me feel a bit frightened and alienated. And that that was her intention (not personally of course, but generally - as a man).
    Now I'm not so sure about the last sentence. Sounds like she had someone specific in mind.
    And you're quite certain it wasn't you? ;-)
  • Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill 
    And you're quite certain it wasn't you? ;-)
    Yup. Alanis and I parted on good(ish) terms.
  • Washboard Sam "Back Door"

• The Stone Roses "Something's Burning"

• Another fine choice there Ben. Last listening to Genesis A Trick Of The Tail on a plane via my Sansa Fuse+.
  • edited April 2017
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Love Songs

Take your pick of any of his albums on Real World. I just realised, he and Fela Kuti both died 20 years ago.
  • Another fine choice there Ben. Last listening to Genesis A Trick Of The Tail on a plane via my Sansa Fuse+.
    I really should give Genesis a go... Which album would you folks recommend...?
  • uglymusic said:

Will give that a go in the week, Dave.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Will give that a go in the week, Dave.
    I hope you like it. 
  • Docfoster said:

cj66 said:

Another fine choice there Ben. Last listening to Genesis A Trick Of The Tail on a plane via my Sansa Fuse+.

I really should give Genesis a go...
    Which album would you folks recommend...?
    I'm with you on this question, Doc. As you guys prob know, Peter Gabriel's music hits me in all the right places. Love it. Just love it. But ive never got anywhere much with Genesis despite various dabbles. So I'm interested to see where your query goes.
  • As for me this weekend: the atrociously named "Ella and her Fellas" (bargain charity shop vinyl purchase) and a bit of Dee-lite remix.
  • William Parker - For Percy Heath

A big(-ish) band of New York free jazz players making a truly joyous racket. Parker's muscular double bass playing somehow makes itself heard over the squalling horns and keeps it all focused. 

Ben may well call it 'Dave music', but we'll have to see.
  • Docfoster said:

cj66 said:

Another fine choice there Ben. Last listening to Genesis A Trick Of The Tail on a plane via my Sansa Fuse+.

My first Genesis album was Foxtrot which really sold the band to me. Excellent throughout with healthy dollops of brilliance. If I had to pick a second fave it would be either Trespass or Nursey Cryme. Most fans tend to go for The Lamb..... or Selling England By The Pound but to me they are less good.
  • cj66 said:

Docfoster said:

cj66 said:

My first Genesis album was Foxtrot which really sold the band to me. Excellent throughout with healthy dollops of brilliance. If I had to pick a second fave it would be either Trespass or Nursey Cryme. Most fans tend to go for The Lamb..... or Selling England By The Pound but to me they are less good.
    That's interesting as it is the last 2 Ive tried and failed with. Will spend some time checking out your recommendations this week. Thanks.
  • Suzy6toes said:
    As for me this weekend: the atrociously named "Ella and her Fellas".
    The marketing department shouldn't have had those second bottles of wine at lunch.
    Probably some good stuff on that tho, I imagine.

Suzy6toes said:
    and a bit of Dee-lite remix.
    Nice. (I do not have a digital copy of that.)

• cj66 said:
    I really should give Genesis a go... Which album would you folks recommend...?
    Thanks for that CJ. I'm on to it! :-)
  • Docfoster said:

Suzy6toes said:

As for me this weekend: the atrociously named "Ella and her Fellas".

The marketing department shouldn't have had those second bottles of wine at lunch.
    Probably some good stuff on that tho, I imagine.

Suzy6toes said:

and a bit of Dee-lite remix.

Probably one of the catchiest pop songs ever written

"Not vicious or malicious
    Just de-lovely and delicious"

:D
  • edited April 2017
    Rag 'n' Bone Man - Human (deluxe edition)*

*not any old edition for me!

• Gave Foxtrot a go last night. There are certain medieval flourishes (in strings and lyrics) that I'm struggling with. But I'm persevering.

• Nice. (I do not have a digital copy of that.)

Any half decent friend would return your vinyl copy to you
    :\">
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Gave Foxtrot a go last night. There are certain medieval flourishes (in strings and lyrics) that I'm struggling with. But I'm persevering.
    I listened to Selling England By The Pound and Foxtrot yesterday, partly to remind myself how much I hated them back in the day. TBH, they weren't as nasty a listen as I expected, but I shan't be going back there for a while ;-)
  • Ralph Alessi - Quiver:

The last of my post-Christmas/New Year purchases to bite me. It still feels a bit like the man has dentures, but it's nicely played and recorded. Something to come back to from time-to-time to see if it's improved ;-)
  • Ches Smith - The Bell

On the other hand, this is just fantastic. Drums, piano and viola doing weird things. It's months of listening for the sonically unhinged (did I say that?).

The video is from a live gig, but it's a good taste of the album.
  • Suzy6toes said:

Any half decent friend would return your vinyl copy to you :\">

Ah. That's where it is. :-)
  • edited April 2017
    uglymusic said:

Eh...?
    Dave?
    Are you unwell? That's a bit leftfield for you.
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Gave Foxtrot a go last night. There are certain medieval flourishes (in strings and lyrics) that I'm struggling with. But I'm persevering.
    I'm finding it hard work too, though in a fulfilling kind of way.
    Thanks again CJ.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Eh...?
    Dave?
    Eh? It's a soul album.
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Eh...?
    Dave?
    Eh? It's a soul album.
    Mainstream though.
    My issue, I'll amend the "Dave" page in my brain.
  • Re Genesis. Like any other catagorised music Prog t'aint for everypeeps, the mentioned flourishes I can see as being make or break.
    You (plural) gave it a shot and that's what counts. I listen to almost everything that is posted that I'm unfamiliar with and it's all hit and miss. When you encounter something you like it's a great bonus and the best thing about sharing on places like this.

Keep 'em coming folks, we all win ;)
  • cj66 said:

Re Genesis. Like any other catagorised music Prog t'aint for everypeeps, the mentioned flourishes I can see as being make or break.
    You (plural) gave it a shot and that's what counts. I listen to almost everything that is posted that I'm unfamiliar with and it's all hit and miss. When you encounter something you like it's a great bonus and the best thing about sharing on places like this.

Keep 'em coming folks, we all win ;)

This is a great point, Chris. And leads me to wanna start a new thread......
  • cj66 said:
    Re Genesis. Like any other catagorised music Prog t'aint for everypeeps, the mentioned flourishes I can see as being make or break. You (plural) gave it a shot and that's what counts. I listen to almost everything that is posted that I'm unfamiliar with and it's all hit and miss. When you encounter something you like it's a great bonus and the best thing about sharing on places like this. Keep 'em coming folks, we all win ;)
    Absolutement! 
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Re Genesis. Like any other catagorised music Prog t'aint for everypeeps, the mentioned flourishes I can see as being make or break. You (plural) gave it a shot and that's what counts. I listen to almost everything that is posted that I'm unfamiliar with and it's all hit and miss. When you encounter something you like it's a great bonus and the best thing about sharing on places like this. Keep 'em coming folks, we all win ;)
    This is a great point, Chris. And leads me to wanna start a new thread......
    You may regret it! :-)
  • Another old favourite belting out.....Boston's Third Stage. For me their most consistent album.

Couldn't find a yt link to Hollyann or I Think I Like It. :(
  • edited April 2017
    Another old favourite belting out.....Boston's Third Stage. For me their most consistent album.

I couldn't find YT links for Hollyann or I Think I Like It.

• 80 years old, that lot...
  • edited April 2017
    And that got me thinking about this, and specifically about how my Dad used to play Blind Lemon Jefferson on his record player when I was kid. :-)
    (...And how if my Dad had a few beers in the evening, sometimes he would lie on the sofa and "join in" with Blind Lemon X_X ).

• Docfoster said:
    And that got me thinking about this, and specifically about how my Dad used to play Blind Lemon Jefferson on his record player when I was kid. :-)
    (...And how if my Dad had a few beers in the evening, sometimes he would lie on the sofa and "join in" with Blind Lemon X_X ).

I can't remember my Dad ever playing much music, let alone anything as 'pure' as BLJ.  :-{
  • uglymusic said:

Ches Smith - The Bell

On the other hand, this is just fantastic. Drums, piano and viola doing weird things. It's months of listening for the sonically unhinged (did I say that?).

Have been looking forward to having time to check this out, and it didn't disappoint in its Daveness. Enjoyed it and found it entertaining, for some of the right reasons. I assume they are aware they are all playing in the same room? :-/
  • edited April 2017
    Docfoster said:

I can't remember my Dad ever playing much music, let alone anything as 'pure' as BLJ.  :-{
    There are some similarities between my dad's tastes and mine, hence I have been influenced by certain parts of his collection. Certainly the blues part: BLJ, Lightnin Hopkins, Robert Johnson through to early Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Hendrix and the like.
    There's awful stuff in there too mind. He actually owns an LP of Roger Whitaker whistling.
    Also, I've just recalled that 10 years ago thieves broke into my Dad's car and nicked everything that they could carry. His brief case, digital camera, CD collection, etc.,... All taken. A few days later his CD collection was found dumped in a hedge down the road. Dad took great umbrage at that.
  • I am in an unusually bloosey mood...
    Takes me back to the big easy...this time last year. :-)
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Ches Smith - The Bell

Have been looking forward to having time to check this out, and it didn't disappoint in its Daveness. Enjoyed it and found it entertaining, for some of the right reasons. I assume they are aware they are all playing in the same room? :-/
    You don't know how much of a kick I get out of someone enjoying this stuff.
  • Docfoster said:
    Docfoster said:

There are some similarities between my dad's tastes and mine, hence I have been influenced by certain parts of his collection. Certainly the blues part: BLJ, Lightnin Hopkins, Robert Johnson through to early Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Hendrix and the like.
    There's awful stuff in there too mind. He actually owns an LP of Roger Whitaker whistling.
    Also, I've just recalled that 10 years ago thieves broke into my Dad's car and nicked everything that they could carry. His brief case, digital camera, CD collection, etc.,... All taken. A few days later his CD collection was found dumped in a hedge down the road. Dad took great umbrage at that.
    What a great story!

I don't think anyone would even steal mine :-)
  • Thundercat - Drunk