Listening to ...

Comments

• Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:
    I suspected you might! 50/50 chance of being to Ben's liking too.
    Sneaky way of forcing me to listen... ;-)
    Accurate odds too, having done so.
    I like the interesting, wandering, ambient aspects of it. The more funky bits I nearly like. I almost always welcome flute. And I like the drumming.
    Other aspects sounded too shapeless and indulgent for me.
    Probably about 50/50 in terms of my liking it.
    Thanks. Would probably never have experienced that without your recommendation.
    How are you on early 70s electric Miles Davis?
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Well, one has to have something to play in one's elevator at home ;-)
    Well, if it gives you a little lift (I'll get me coat)
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:
    I like the interesting, wandering, ambient aspects of it. The more funky bits I nearly like. I almost always welcome flute. And I like the drumming.
    My understanding is that I very much prefer his earlier (late 50s) stuff.
    I have a recollection of hearing some of his electric stuff and finding it inaccessible and excrutiating. That was probably 25 years ago. Happy to revisit if you have a specific recommendation. :-)
  • edited January 2017
    uglymusic said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    Lady and gent, you have elevated this thread. (er, my coat's on the next peg)

I'll take the mechanical stairs before it escalates yet more (....I can hear you groaning  :| )
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    Lady and gent, you have elevated this thread. (er, my coat's on the next peg)

I'll take the mechanical stairs before it escalates yet more (....I can hear you groaning  :| )
    That's because I am!
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:
    My understanding is that I very much prefer his earlier (late 50s) stuff.
    I have a recollection of hearing some of his electric stuff and finding it inaccessible and excrutiating. That was probably 25 years ago. Happy to revisit if you have a specific recommendation. :-)
    I would have agreed with you when I first heard it. It took me, perhaps 20 years before I really appreciated Bitches Brew (probably the start of his incendiary 1970-75 period, although it came out in 1969). In particular, I remember the horror of first hearing On The Corner a few years later, in my early 20s.

But 40 years later, people are still figuring out what it was all about. Musicians still use it as starting off point for what seems cutting edge today. As much as I love Miles' two great quintets and Birth of the Cool, it's the 70s music that just keeps on giving. 

As to where to let you in gently, I'll have to give it a bit of thought...
  • Sometimes music can be profoundly affecting. This did it for me today. Via some meditation, this piece had a resetting effect on my state of well-being.
    I don't for a minute expect anyone else to experience the same with this particular tune. But, I do hope that as many of you as possible have something in your own collections that does it for you. :-)

• Bill Frisell - Gone, Just Like a Train

With Viktor Krauss (singer Alison Krauss' brother) on bass and Jim Keltner on drums. If you have to drift off into Americana, these are the guys to do it with.
  • edited January 2017
    Bill Frisell playing live in Paris.

A couple of sublime Beatles covers (#9 Dream and Come Together), from a large number of videos of Beatles and Surf tunes from this gig.

August 31, 2012 Cite de la Musique, Paris Bill Frisell - guitar Greg Leisz - pedal-steel guitar Tonny Scherr - bass Kenny Wollesen - drums
  • Anna Webber's Percussive Mechanics - Refraction

I've just discovered Anna Webber. With this band, she's created the offspring of Steve Reich and Henry Threadgill. 

• Kinobe feat. Benjamin Zephania

"That man in the suit robbed that man with the flute,
    But he did that robbery legally..."
    =D>

• Blue Turf (Nels Cline, Jim Campilongo, Jerome Harris, Jim Black) - at The Stone - Aug 23 2016

OK. So I go on to YT looking for some of Chris' better covers, and this pokes me in the eye.

I don't think many people would call this jazz, but it was recorded at John Zorn's The Stone, home of much of what's most exciting in jazz these days.

Ben: there's some tasty electric bass playing from Jerome Harris on this. Or, at least, I think so ;-)
  • More fantastic stuff from YT.

Keith Jarrett Quintet - Live at Berlin Jazz Days, 1973

• And from a year later:

Keith Jarrett European Quartet, Hannover

and Set 2

There continues to be debate over which of the two bands Jarrett was somehow running at the same time was the best. 
  • Ornette Coleman - Body Meta

I never quite got Ornette's music the first time I heard it. That was from the great quartet with Don Cherry, and this electric band, the precursor of Prime Time.

I love this album now. What sounded somehow thin and lacking in depth to begin with now sounds rich and indispensable. 
  • Docfoster said:
    Shia madness, if you ask me!
  • edited February 2017

Warning: Track 1 is an earworm, love it or hate it.

Go on, you want to hear it! :-)
  • Elbow - Little Fictions
  • Bill Laswell, Derek Bailey, Jack DeJohnette & DJ Disk - Transmutations 

Derek Bailey. The most 'difficult' guitarist I've ever heard. In the 70s and 80s in London, he rarely made sense to me. It was only when he started playing with New York musicians like Laswell and John Zorn late in his life that I realised Bailey was merely ahead of his time. 

His weird chords and vicious slashings just make so much sense in this kind of environment. You can hear where Mary Halvorson got some of her approach from, and there's even some Marc Ribot in there.

It's such a shame this isn't complete, so I'll be looking for more on YT.
  • Miles Davis - Berlin, 1971

Especially for Ben, who I promised to dig out some electric Miles for. I'm not you'll like this, but it's unbelievable stuff just as the band is going from its rock/white stage into its later funk/black stage. The music is less of a cauldron than it later became, but it's still pretty damn hot!
  • Anouar Brahem - Souvenance

• edited February 2017
    Ornette Coleman Quartet - Music Inn, Rome 1974 or 75

Here's a rarity. Ornette, just before he went electric (starting with that tune that ended up on Dancing In Your Head). He's added James Blood Ulmer on guitar to an acoustic trio with Billy Higgins on drums and Sirone (Norris Jones) on bass.
  • Ornette Coleman and Prime Time, with Pat Metheny - Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival, 1988

Pat Metheny from around 35:11, if you're interested.
  • Linton Kwesi Johnson - Bass Culture

Some of the greatest reggae ever made, IMHO. Perhaps the best lyrical mind ever applied to the genre - Johnson is a poet and journalist. And Dennis Bovell's Dub Band are brilliant.
  • LKJ in Dub

Some good dubs here.
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Elbow - Little Fictions
    That's the new one, isn't it?
  • ...for something completely different!

• I hadn't heard the 2nd and 3rd LKJ outings. Thanks Dave. :-)
  • Docfoster said:
    I hadn't heard the 2nd and 3rd LKJ outings. Thanks Dave. :-)
    Neither had I. They were on YT.

I'll have to have a look into them because they (certainly 3) don't sound like the Dennis Bovell dubs on the original.
  • Dug out some vintage Satriani tonight, was playing Not Of This Earth album and was reminded of demo-days.

The track below is a great test for dynamics and transients for your system. If particularly capable in that area the snare strikes (I think they are a sampled piccolo snare) and later flams of same really have some serious attack. It was the first time I heard anything other than a low frequency thump me in the chest! (Top of the range Exposure amps & Roksan of the day but can't remember the speakers....Doh!)

Moved on to his second album now......What?......another? Oh OK then

:D

• uglymusic said:

Suzy6toes said:

Elbow - Little Fictions

That's the new one, isn't it?

Yeah. I'm enjoying. It's tranquil and pretty understated Id say. Some lovely gentle guitar work.
  • edited February 2017
    Ripple "I don't know what it is but it sure is funky"

• Docfoster said:
    Ripple "I don't know what it is but it sure is funky"

Ooh, I like that! It's new to me.

It's got a New Orleans kinda vibe, Meters-ish.
  • The only two albums I like by the Thievery Corporation..."The Richest Man In Babylon" & "The Cosmic Game"

• Love the album:

• Craig Taborn - Daylight Ghosts

Another scorcher from Mr Taborn, I think. Only just bought it, and only one play.
  • Ornette Coleman - Friends & Neighbors

• How do you follow Ornette?

How about this?

• edited February 2017
    And, following on from yesterday...

• edited February 2017
      cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:
    There's an ongoing backgroud sample about the illusion of objectivity in this one (Disrupt "Bomb 20"). Sounds like it's from some old sci-fi movie. I'd be very grateful, and impressed, if anyone can indentify from where the sample was taken...

Easy peasy! Dark Star, even the track name comes from the movie "Thermostellar Bomb #20". If you haven't seen it DO. It's an excellent, slightly trippy, science fiction movie.

I eventually got around to watching "Dark Star".
    It's various scenes kept me interested, if not actually amused, and I enjoyed it's general low-budget-but-very-creative quirkiness. Of course, I was waiting to get to the sample, so that kept my interest too.
    Thanks again CJ.
  • uglymusic said:
    How do you follow Ornette?

How about this?

I enjoyed this so much the other day, I'm giving it another go.

As Gil Scott-Heron would have said, No-stalja :-)
  • Docfoster said:
      cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:
    There's an ongoing backgroud sample about the illusion of objectivity in this one (Disrupt "Bomb 20"). Sounds like it's from some old sci-fi movie. I'd be very grateful, and impressed, if anyone can indentify from where the sample was taken...

Easy peasy! Dark Star, even the track name comes from the movie "Thermostellar Bomb #20". If you haven't seen it DO. It's an excellent, slightly trippy, science fiction movie.

It's various scenes kept me interested, if not actually amused, and I enjoyed it's general low-budget-but-very-creative quirkiness. Of course, I was waiting to get to the sample, so that kept my interest too.
    Thanks again CJ.
    B-)

"Silent Running" next then!
  • cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:
      cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:

Thanks again CJ.
    B-)

Shhhh!  %-(
  • Sex Mob - Does Bond

• cj66 said:

Docfoster said:

uglymusic said:

cj66 said:

Docfoster said:

Thanks again CJ.

B-)

Ah, Silent Running was the first dvd I ever bought!
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Docfoster said:
      cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:

Thanks again CJ.
    B-)

Ah, Silent Running was the first dvd I ever bought!
    Oh gawd.
    Suzy likes it.
    X_X
  • I have Silent Running ready, ripped, and waiting on my 'pooter.
    I think one retro sci-fi film per week is a much as I can take though. So, Freeman might have to wait till next week!