Listening to ...

Comments

• Keith Jarrett - The Cure
  • What a shame The Cure never penned a song called Keith Jarrett 
    ;)
  • LOL! That's been my joke for years :-)
  • Dug out an old fave by an old fave band, a controversial concept-album amongst hardened fans but I put it up with their best.

BOC "Imaginos"

Hmmmm, their debut album next methinks...

• Dub House Disco 2000 

Very motivating (or did I put it on because I'm feeling motivated? Who knows??)
  • Docfoster said:
    Burning Spear! Listening to it now :-)
  • I have some weird dub thing going on now. I have both instances of LDV1 running :-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    Burning Spear! Listening to it now :-)
    I must admit to usually prefering the dub versions of reggae albums!
    :D
  • I like the original Reggie and the dub. Although it depends on the dub and who's doing it.

I usually prefer Lee Perry to King Tubby, fr'instance.

And I prefer the original Marcus Garvey to Garvey's Ghost (the dub).
  • Somewhere between Sun Ra, Fela Kuti and Pharoah Sanders live:

• uglymusic said:
    Somewhere between Sun Ra, Fela Kuti and Pharoah Sanders live:

Good description! :-)
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Thanks Ben. Did you give it a listen?
  • I'm not sure if these are best classified as ambient or new age:

• edited August 2016
    Heliocentrics - From the Deep

A bunch of UK musicians exploring the backwaters suggested by Sun Ra (him again!), Alice Coltrane, electronica, dance etc. I really like this. Must play it loud on the main system :-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Yes. And overall felt positive about it.
  • uglymusic said:
    I'm not sure if these are best classified as ambient or new age:

For me, that's new age.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Yes. And overall felt positive about it.
    Cool! I think it's pretty good, too. Gets better after a few plays, too.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    I'm not sure if these are best classified as ambient or new age:

For me, that's new age.
    You can take over my identity as Uglymusic!
  • Something strange is going on here. I've been listening to an album with another Sun Ra connection:

"In 1993, shortly after the death of Herman Blount (Sun Ra), Phil Cohran and his band, Legacy, composed an inspired and inspiring tribute to his close friend and former mentor. As you may be aware, Cohran records are few and far between. Aside from the more recent reissue of his Zulu 45s collection, 'African Skies' is his first new record to be released since his 1969 Malcolm X memorial. This fact only serves to cement its lofty status as "a nuanced portrait of one of the most visionary musicians of our time...". Channelling the spirit of his cosmic brother, Cohran brings us closer to enlightenment through eight sublime songs glowing with reverent spirit and positive, utopian energies. Utterly amazing stuff, for your soul."

Kelan Phil Cohran and Legacy - African Skies (Captcha Records)

The album is just lovely.
  • Listened to African Skies a little yesterday, but too much else going on for careful listen. Enjoyed what I caught, so going back to it at a quieter time. Thanks.
    At the mo: Nick Cave, Push the Sky Away......ah, nice.
  • Glad you liked what you heard. It is quiet, as well as kind of floaty in parts. It's great as working music, I've found.
  • It's been a rock filled afternoon (I bet you're surprised!) kicked off by The Cult...

• The White Stripes - Elephant
  • Carpenters - The Singles 1969-1973
  • John Coltrane Quartet - Crescent
  • Suzy6toes said:
    John Coltrane Quartet - Crescent
    Now you're talking!
  • Nice little feature on Eric Satie on Radio 6.
  • It's amazing the effect music can have on your driving.

I had to nip home (normally 30 mins each way) for a forgotton something and the radio was playing a few Dick Dale tracks on the trot.

When rolled back in at work I was greeted with WTH!? Did you not go in the end?

I had returned in under 45 mins!!!!  Baaaaaaaaaad boy
    :ar!

• Housemate has been for Reiki today, so we're keeping her freshly realigned chakras nicely in place with some chilled out Seefeel - Quique.
  • Docfoster said:
    Quite enjoyed that, old chap :-)
  • edited August 2016

I thought I knew this album, but I don't. It's fantastic!

Do you know it, Ben?
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    Quite enjoyed that, old chap :-)
    That's nice. I feel they deserved greater success and fame within the 90s indie scene.
  • uglymusic said:

Do you know it, Ben?
    No Dave. Though their name rings a bell.
    I'll give it a listen later. Thanks.
  • edited August 2016
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Do you know it, Ben?
    As much as Gil Scott-Heron is one of my all-time music idols, and has been called 'the father of rap', I think The Last Poets are really the godfathers. On this album, their usual sparse and somewhat rough backing is replaced by a more conventional band with Bernard Purdie on drums. The music actually adds to the Poets, rather than diluting what they do IMHO.
  • Donald Byrd - Ethiopian Knights

Then

Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm

Then

Chris Speed/Oscar Noriega/Trevor Dunn/Jim Black - Endangered Blood

• uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Do you know it, Ben?
    As much as Gil Scott-Heron is one of my all-time music idols, and has been called 'the father of rap', I think The Last Poets are really the godfathers. On this album, their usual sparse and somewhat rough backing is replaced by a more conventional band with Bernard Purdie on drums. The music actually adds to the Poets, rather than diluting what they do IMHO.
    Wasn't surprised to see Gil mentioned in your post. He came to mind when I listened to this. I don't know about the histoical sequence though, and will bow to your greater knowledge in terms of where The Poets and Gil fall in the overall story.
    Reading your other comments confirms that my ears are less hard-working than yours. I found the album interesting as a one off listen, but simply too musically challenging for me in terms of how free form it sounded overall. I'm very aware that your tastes are very much in line with that though, and I took vicarious pleasure from imagining your enjoying it more wholeheartedly! :-)
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Do you know it, Ben?
    Wasn't surprised to see Gil mentioned in your post. He came to mind when I listened to this. I don't know about the histoical sequence though, and will bow to your greater knowledge in terms of where The Poets and Gil fall in the overall story.
    Reading your other comments confirms that my ears are less hard-working than yours. I found the album interesting as a one off listen, but simply too musically challenging for me in terms of how free form it sounded overall. I'm very aware that your tastes are very much in line with that though, and I took vicarious pleasure from imagining your enjoying it more wholeheartedly! :-)
    Gil and The Poets both came up at the same time in the late 60s, but Gil went on longer and made far more albums.

Have another listen, and I'm sure you'll hear the sheer funkiness in the backing. Bernard Purdie isn't a free drummer of any form. Listen to the drum set and you should be there. 
  • edited August 2016
    A track I'd almost forgotten about because it doesn't appear on any of Mark Lanegan's albums (it was a single B-side and released as a game track). Below is the A-side followed by said B-side @ 3.53.

I chose this version as it's the one I have and is better than the others on YT.

The album Blues Funeral playing on...

• Clive Gregson & Christine Collister - Mischief
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Do you know it, Ben?
    Gil and The Poets both came up at the same time in the late 60s, but Gil went on longer and made far more albums.

Have another listen, and I'm sure you'll hear the sheer funkiness in the backing. Bernard Purdie isn't a free drummer of any form. Listen to the drum set and you should be there. 
    You overestimate my musical resilience!
  • Kings of leon,, milk.