Listening to ...

Comments

• cj66 said:
    ^^^ I had wee listen to Scorch Trio but have to admit it's not to my taste.
    It did, however, remind of Don Cabellero and the only album by them I slowly became to like "What Burns Never Returns".

I thought it might not be ;-) It's that overlap between free (noise) jazz and some parts of the Scandi metal scene. Although none of the players on the album are from the metal scene. 

I must admit I love it. Played it yesterday afternoon when my wife was out at, shall we say, a decent volume, and sat there like a grinning loon :-D

Just started listening to Don Cabellero and so far am enjoying it. Thanks for that Chris.
  • edited January 2016
    cj66 said:
    OK, rock head's back to add some weight to the proceedings..

More Scandanavian outings in the form of Jorn. Good old guitar driven rock and a vocalist with some decent grunt.

They've also done some excellent covers of Dio, Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath......
    This is on the list after Don Cabellero.
  • Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:
    OK, rock head's back to add some weight to the proceedings..

More Scandanavian outings in the form of Jorn. Good old guitar driven rock and a vocalist with some decent grunt.

They've also done some excellent covers of Dio, Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath......
    Crickey. Weight indeed!
    It's Boy Band Pop  =))
  • edited January 2016
    "I thought it might not be It's that overlap between free (noise) jazz and some parts of the Scandi metal scene. Although none of the players on the album are from the metal scene. 

I must admit I love it. Played it yesterday afternoon when my wife was out at, shall we say, a decent volume, and sat there like a grinning loon

Just started listening to Don Cabellero and so far am enjoying it. Thanks for that Chris."

If you likey that you may likey this...as they say in Thailand "same same but different"

• Tinariwen - Live in Paris 2014

tidal.com/album/54411448

Very disappointed in this. Their studio albums have more life :-(
  • cj66 said:
    "I thought it might not be It's that overlap between free (noise) jazz and some parts of the Scandi metal scene. Although none of the players on the album are from the metal scene. 

I must admit I love it. Played it yesterday afternoon when my wife was out at, shall we say, a decent volume, and sat there like a grinning loon

Just started listening to Don Cabellero and so far am enjoying it. Thanks for that Chris."

If you likey that you may likey this...as they say in Thailand "same same but different"

Don Caballero is great. Unfortunately the album you linked to isn't on Tidal, but other albums are. 

Piglet is on the playlist for tomorrow. I'll report back.
  • "Don Caballero is great. Unfortunately the album you linked to isn't on Tidal,"

It is on Spotify...

https://play.spotify.com/album/37mlMhNfX22In2w2B7VqF2

• Thanks Chris.
  • Meshell Ndegocello - Pour Une Ame Souveraine

tidal.com/album/39302674

Amongst all the Nina Simone covers and dedications over the last few years, this gets my vote as the best. 
  • edited February 2016
    Pharoah Sanders - Karma 

The one with The Creator Has A Master Plan
  • Loudly playing a few "The Art of Noise" tracks. On my 15W SECA, god I wish it was the 100W version I made at TQ. 

• Ozric Tentacles -Spirals in Hyperspace
  • AntiCrap said:
    Loudly playing a few "The Art of Noise" tracks. On my 15W SECA, god I wish it was the 100W version I made at TQ. 

But it sounds OK, right...?
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Ozric Tentacles -Spirals in Hyperspace
    The bloody Ozric Tentacles. I'd have gone to my grave forgetting all about them... Still may well do, mind.
  • uglymusic said:
    Pharoah Sanders - Karma 

Was he the original Prince of Peace guy (that inspired Galliano...)...?
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Pharoah Sanders - Karma 

Was he the original Prince of Peace guy (that inspired Galliano...)...?
    Possibly. The Creator Has a Master Plan was very popular on the Acid Jazz scene.
  • uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:

Don Caballero is great. Unfortunately the album you linked to isn't on Tidal, but other albums are. 

Piglet is on the playlist for tomorrow. I'll report back.
    I never got around to Piglet until yesterday.

Yup. It's OK. Keep hearing little snatches of Zappa and perhaps even Mr Bungle in there.

I prefer Don Caballero.
  • edited February 2016
    Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

then

Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland  

• Darren Johnston, Fred Frith, Larry Ochs, Devin Hoff, Ches Smith - Reasons for Moving

tidal.com/album/2580149

'Living next to Uglymusic Towers', is not a valid one :-)
  • edited February 2016

A very fine album of electronica from Darren Solomon. Guest vocalist on each track, has a laid back feel with subtle overtones of jazz/latin.

Also earlier:

Delicious.
  • Gentleman's Dub Club - The Big Smoke

tidal.com/album/53780159 
  • Horace Tapscott - The Dark Tree 1 & 2

tidal.com/album/46612387

Listening to this on Tidal, but I have the CDs. As you should :-) 

One of the great masterpieces of West Coast Free Jazz - Tapscott preferred to work in relative obscurity in LA - with a mega band of Clarinettist John Carter, Bassist Cecil McBee and Drummer Andrew Cyrille.

I love this album, although perhaps it should have an ugly warning for the virgin ear (that's with a lower-case 'v').
  • Having one of those days today. I've decided to put on a bit of Albert Ayler:

Albert Ayler - Live in Greenwich Village: The Complete Impulse Recordings

Defo Ugly!
  • Alan said:

A very fine album of electronica from Darren Solomon. Guest vocalist on each track, has a laid back feel with subtle overtones of jazz/latin.

Nice :-)
  • This is rather wonderful, if a little ugly ;-)

Rashied Ali and Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange

• edited February 2016
    More from Rashied Ali's own label in the 1970s:

Rashied Ali Quintet

With a pre-Ornette/pre-Harmolodic James 'Blood' Ulmer, sounding remarkably fully-formed.
  • Rashied Ali Quartet & Quintet - Moonflight

Very much more conventional than the others.
  • Art Pepper - New York Album

Sounding fan-bloody-tastic via the RPi. I'm still having me wotsits tweaked by the little 'puter's ability to find details that weren't there before :-)
  • Marc Ribot and The Young Philadelphians - Live in Tokyo

Four avant players (two from Philly) play it surprisingly straight with Gamble & Huff's legacy.
  • Nils Petter Molvaer - ER

So far, no George Clooney.
  • A couple of rocky faves, one finished the other playing now.

Shinedown "The Sound of Madness"

• ...and The Answer "Everyday Demons"

• Flea - Helen Burns
  • Ataxia - Automatic Writing

• edited February 2016
    Here's something a little off centre for me, not my usual thing but this is well crafted.

Carla's Dreams

• Time is a Mountain - II

• David Bowie - Blackstar

via Tidal on the Big Rig, and the album sounds (not in the hi-fi sense) like a masterpiece. I'm really revising my opinion of it.
  • Eivind Aarset - IE

Again, the first time via the BR.
  • Matthew Halsall and the Gondwana Orchestra - Into Forever

Here's one track (there seems to be the rest of the album on YT, and the whole thing's on Tidal):

I love this, derivative as it is of Alice Coltrane and early 70s 'spiritual jazz' and even William Parker's Raining on the Moon band. Some really nice playing and singing on it.
  • edited February 2016
    The Incognito Traveller - Movements of Migration

Chill-out, low tempo kind of stuff that can bore the pants off me. But I find this is something uplifting to work to. I haven't yet tried to engage with it 100% on the Big Rig, though.
  • edited February 2016
    Alice Coltrane - Transcendance

One for the hippies amongst us :-)
  • It;s cool for cats.

• Ooh! It's being Squeezed (I'll get me coat).
  • William Fitzsimmons - The Sparrow and the Crow

Not usually my kind of thing, but I love this album.
  • Recently watched "The Man From Uncle" (2015).
    It was absolutely fine.
    But the highlight for me was the opening track: Roberta Flack "Compared to What". Never heard it before. And haven't got any Roberta in my collection. That will now change. For me, she is utter class in this one. Most of all, the rhythm section are doing exactly what I like rhythm sections to do.

• Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey: The Best of Burning Spear
  • Tom Waits - Blood Money
  • edited March 2016
    Not at all like me, this. But really enjoying it! :-)
    (INXS "Don't Change")

• Having an 80s day?