Listening to ...

Comments

• (A song about immigration.)
  • edited November 2015
    Saw this film last night.
    Enjoyable. This scene, set to a track I hadn't heard before, was one of the highlights (she's a vampire. He (a little stoned) doesn't know it).

(Is anyone here familiar with "The White Lies" (the band who perform the track...?))
  • Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things

Story of my life...
  • Ben:

"White Lies are an English post-punk band from Ealing, London. Formerly known as Fear of Flying, the core band members are Harry McVeigh, Charles Cave, and Jack Lawrence-Brown." Wikipedia

• John Zorn/Masada - First Live 1993
  • Paal Nilssen-Love - Townorchestrahouse

tidal.com/album/2647419
  • Floating Points - Elaenia

tidal.com/album/53614600
  • Cee-Lo Green - Heart Blanche
  • The libertines - anthems for doomed youth
  • The Dead Weather - Whorehound
  • Robert Wyatt - Dondestan (Revisited)
  • Floating Points - Elaenia
  • Didn't I already say that? :-)
  • yes, there's an echo on Spotify ;-)
  • Chrome Children Vol 2.

Have played this on and off for months without it having much impact. But something about it / me today has it hitting the mark.
  • Tom Rainey - Obbligato

tidal.com/album/25149148

A band of New York improvisers play a set of standards, giving them a new injection of life without setting light to them and jumping on the ashes.
  • Eric Revis - In Memory of Things Yet Seen

tidal.com/album/28798624

This is really good. If there is such a thing as free jazz mainstream, this might be it.
  • Joe McPhee, Joe Morris, Charles Downs and Jamie Saft - Ticonderoga

tidal.com/album/51248570

Nearly 50 years ago, John Coltrane was in the last phase of his life and musical development. This album shows how there's still life in his innovations today. Give it a go if you're into late Coltrane. 
  • Kirk Knuffke - Lamplighter

tidal.com/album/49842632

Cornet, acoustic bass guitar and two drummers playing part kits. At first glance it looks as if it's trying to be willfully avant garde. But nothing of the sort. It's a jazz album that the strange instrumentation just twists a bit out of the obvious. I'm going to play this one a lot.
  • Ben Goldberg - Subatomic Particle Homesick Blues

tidal.com/album/19606816

Finding so much fantastic music this week :-)
  • PG Bact To Front. There are still some free Flac 24bit tracks from this album available at http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Society_of_Sound/Society_of_Sound/Music/peter-gabriel-christmas.html

• Beastie Boys vs Angry Birds.
    More enjoyable than it should be... :-D

• Mad Season, Above.
  • edited November 2015
    I'm not a jazz fan but I do like fusion or many other types of music that possess a jazzy inflection.

Morphine, Cure for Pain. Where saxophone replaces lead guitar.
  • So you like Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever?
  • Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra - Into Forever

I love how Halsall and his associates are keeping the spirit of Alice Coltrane's 60s and 70s albums alive. What I thought was an album or two has turned into years of mining some of my favourite music. 
  • @UM

I do cherry pick from the Mahavishnu Orchestra catalogue but Return To Forever are a step too far in the jazz direction for me.
    If I follow a jazz link I tend to veer off to soul or funk,,,,or others like today I ended up with Devil Doll, an American (apparently rockabilly) outfit that's quite entertaining and new to me.

• So more Headhunters, then?
  • Yeah, that's more my bag fella! Add some acid jazz and just about most things that use some jazz inspiration to fire them up
    8-X (closest on here to a Naw'leans day of the dead skull).

• How about The Crusaders? They were one of the first bits of jazz I got into.
  • Radio one live lounge 2014 very good recording.
  • The Crusaders? Again I cherry pick, the more they get funky the more I like it, the more jazzy and I lose interest. I have there best of album of which I like about 1/3. I do like Stix Hooper though, he's a great groover.

My introduction to anything jazz was Weather Report's album Heavy Weather.
  • edited November 2015
    Oh, you've set me off on a path now! Currently Radio Moscow, Brain Cycles.
  • edited November 2015
    Stix Hooper is a drum god! I like the Crusaders when they're doing those dirty grooves. I parted company with them at Streetlife.

The Best of album (the one with the red cover, double LP) was one of the first jazz albums I bought after seeing them on TV, live at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Heavy Weather is great. Track 2, A Remark You Made, almost moves me to tears.

Er, Radio Moscow, Brain Cycles?
  • Bjork Playlist on Tidal

tidal.com/playlist/726a2b50-1c11-4f5d-aa28-5fc0cffec15e

This'll keep me going until lunch!
  • Was listening to;
    Some classic old rock, UFO Phenomenon, singing along in the car, with memories of Knebworth '85...
  • Radio Moscow - Brain Cycles
  • Weather Report - The Legendary Live Tapes 1978 - 81

tidal.com/album/52316509
  • Trondheim Jazz Orchestra with Christian Wallumrod - Untitled Arpeggios and Pulses

tidal.com/album/53124546

Must try this on the big rig downstairs. I think there could be a lot of atmosphere and some deep notes that will be happier with the Green God.
  • Ceramic Dog - Your Turn

tidal.com/album/19456455

A different view on the guitar power trio from Marc Ribot.
  • Marc Ribot - Asmodeus. The Book of Angels Vol 7

tidal.com/album/8955129

OK all you heavy rock guitar nuts, get an earful of this! Another, even heavier guitar trio from Marc Ribot.
  • Beaucoup Fish - underworld

(not the first time I've posted this for sure. But more and more I value this album in times of need)
  • Everything OK with you?
  • Thanks, Dave. Nothing, I'm sure , a good blast of Underworld and Front 242 cant go a good way to easing 8-X
  • I've succumbed. Track 1 has been my earworm since the end of last week.

Steely Dan - Katy Lied
  • Continuing with the theme and the band.

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
  • All that talk of guitarrists made me dig out some older Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani, Crytal Planet on now.
  • cj66 said:
    All that talk of guitarrists made me dig out some older Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani, Crytal Planet on now.
    Lots of notes :-)