Listening to ...

Comments

• Deja Vu - CS&N
  • I think I've heard that before ;-)
  • I think I've heard that before ;-)
    Hehehehe!

This week I am listening to .....just about EVERYTHING I have on vinyl as I have borrowed an LP cleaner and can't resist trying out each one for a before and after. I may be some time 
    :D
  • Come on, tell us what you're playing. We need to know.
  • If it was released in the 1970s, it's on my turntable this evening!!!
    The LP cleaner is excellent. Neat little hoover attachment and everything. Very satisfying task. I wonder if there's employment out there for this much needed service...?
    (no comment required for that, thanks!)
  • The Bay City Rollers?
  • The Bay City Rollers?
    Yes, that and Brotherhood of Man ;-)

Nah, mooched through a load of early Eagles, from the Bernie Leadon days. Then, for a bit of contrast, skipped ahead to 1978 and a bit of Parallel Lines from Blondie. "Picture that!"
    Nice pursuit there Dave! 

• That is a good contrast ;-)

I was worried you'd found some Tony Orlando and Dawn.
  • just found new artist
    natalie merchant
  • edited October 2014
    You, and 10,000 Maniacs :-)

Aside from the bad joke, I've always felt I should like her, but have never got there.

What have you found?
  • edited October 2014

I've had this for around 20 years and I think it's improving with age. Or maybe I'm just in the mood for its seamless fusions. Come to think of it, there's more than a bit of Jaco Pastorius' post-Weather Report work here, which is probably why there's a track called Jaco :-O
  • Abdul Wadud - By Myself

Improvised solo cello from the mid-70s. From what I understand, Wadud was a classical player who got involved in the New York loft scene.
  • OK. I know the last one. 

WTH are the other two?
  • Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street (40th Anniversary Edition)

Not bad for a film soundtrack ;-)
  • First aid kit, have a look at the radio 6 programme tv 601 they were on this week , I player if it has finished. Swedish duo doing Americana pretty good.

Frisell's first album under his own name. Multitracked guitar and effects, with some double bass from Arild Anderson.

Verging on the ambient, but there's always something interesting with Frisell.
  • for some reason it's Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John. 
    Now, I should point out that this was done under duress at the nagging of a friend to "go on, just give it a go, no-one gets addicted the first time!" Under normal circumstances the radio would get instantly switched channel at the very hint of old Elton's whingey tones. But, I'll be honest, I may have got addicted first time on this one!!
  • I used to have that on cassette when I was ikkle.
    what's that you say? cas-set-te was that??
    what's that you say? cas-set-te was that??
    YEAH. A PRE-RECORDED CASSETTE. AND I HAD MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER.
  • 2% Jazz, 98% Funky Stuff!! :-)
    I saw him doing more or less this set in London a few years back. Boggling!

Some of the best Rypdal I've heard.
  • edited October 2014
    Alice Coltrane & Joe Henderson

Go on, give it a listen.
  • edited October 2014

Bill Frisell plays John Lennon. They both win!

Excellent late Ellington. The band is in steaming form.
  • edited October 2014

I only remembered this album when out running the other day, and decided that I had to get me a digital copy...!
    Arrived today and it's as good as I remember: like the crazy bastard child of Jesus Jones and Galliano (not a pleasant prospect for everyone, I accept!)...

• Dave,
    I want you to know that I like some of the stuff you have been listening to this week...
    (Can you guess which...?)
  • PWEI, hey, Doc. Funnily enough I was reminded of them just this week when listening to the Film Programme (sad Radio 4 listener that I am). Had now idea CLint Mansell had such a successful career with film scores:
  • edited October 2014
    I'm both impressed and highly amused.
    I had given not a thought to what Clint might be up to for 20 years or more.
    Good on him.
    Cure for Sanity is a great album. Listened to it 4 times in row this afternoon after getting it from the postie! :-)
  • Am listening to it on Spotify now in fact. Rock of Ages ...God, a lot of nostalgia going on chez Suze! Thanks for the prompt  :D
  • Dave,
    I want you to know that I like some of the stuff you have been listening to this week...
    Maceo!
  • Dave,
    Maceo!
    1 cigar. :-)
    The second...?
  • Dave,
    Maceo!
    1 cigar. :-)
    The second...?
    Alice Coltrane & Joe Henderson.
  • You can have a cigarillo for that. :-)
    I was thinking more Lee Scratch Perry!
  • I wondered about that, but it's not one of his best albums, to my ears.
  • This may appeal Ben:

• edited October 2014
    :-)

Actually I only recognise Lee Scratch Perry of that lot, so clearly I'm not worthy of even chliche status. May be I'm just at wannabe-parody level...?
  • Give it a listen if you can find it, mate.

Adrian Sherwood/On-U Sound stuff is generally worth a listen.

How much fun can you have? Brilliant!
  • The Cult - Electric. I'm such a nostalgia merchant.
  • edited October 2014
    This may appeal Ben:

Dave, thanks for the recommendation.
    My copy arrived today. Only had chance to listen in the car, but lovin' it. Creative but without losing those familiar dub vibes.
    Your. best. recommendation. eva.
  • This may appeal Ben:

My copy arrived today. Only had chance to listen in the car, but lovin' it. Creative but without losing those familiar dub vibes.
    Ok. Now back home.
    Well wadayano...

A reconditioned single ended class A Wonfor power amp into large revamped 3 way speakers produces somewhat more bass than a standard Daihatsu car stereo.

Good grief. What's the resonant frequency of my liver?
  • This may appeal Ben:

Wow! You bought it!

You are a trusting man.

Sherwood was/is the most important figure in dub from the early 90s onwards. On-U Sound and all that stuff.

I love a good bit of dub!