Listening to ...

Comments

• Nice to see Elliot Smith upstream!

Absolutely loving this:

• Ian Shaw - Drawn To All Things

Interpretations of Joni Mitchell songs, just right for Sunday Brunch.
  • Gill Scott heron is doing it for me at the moment.
  • Always does it for me.

One of my all-time heroes, old Gil.
  • Hmm. What shall I follow that up with?

• Britten, violin concerto op.15
    super squeaky. Love it!
  • I'm not much of a classical music listener, but I do like a bit of old Ben (no, not that one!).
  • classical music makes up little of my musical store and I have little knowledge of it (as my technical terminology "super squeaky notes" probably reveals), but I find Britten accessible and enjoyable. I can even manage a bit of opera if it's his !! But just a bit! My boss and I have opposite problems with ballet and opera, I keep expecting opera singers to dance, and he keeps expecting ballerinas to sing! We've decided to stick to what we know!!

"a bit of old ben" hey? Indeed, he is the wrong side of 40 now, you know 
    ;)
  • I saw Peter Grimes at ENO years ago. It was absolutely magical.
  • George Crabbe is a fave poet of mine, so a good combo there!
    Britten and contemporary dance a good combo too. Saw a simply fabulous dance biography by the Richard Alston company of the poets Rimbaud and Verlaine set to Britten's Les Illuminations about 15 years ago. Hm, good stuff. Am reaching for my Les Illuminations right now as I think of it. !........
  • edited August 2014
    Sounds interesting, but I can't see Sylvester Stallone in a tutu :-D

I don't I know Les Illuminations. I'll have a look through my Britten and see.
  • Box scaggs
  • Or even Boz Scaggs bloody predictive tx
  • That's the chappie!
  • I seem to have been stuck in an old-stylee funk groove for a few days.

Not getting anywhere near @suzy6toes' Benjamin Britten.
  • Black Sabbath – Paranoid (Remastered)

Denitely not funk ;-)

However, it could be classified as Ugly Music, I suppose.
  • edited August 2014
    Found it!

This is something like a mad Bacon Number connection. Sly and the Family Stone is connected to Black Sabbath is connected to Benjamin Britten is connected to Kevin Bacon :-O
  • Only connected in that they are all on my music shelf too. I keep telling Kevin he needs to find somewhere else to hang out, but he's a bugger to shift once he makes himself at home  :))

Was listening to Les Illuminations last night. Good stuff :-) Is going to get a replaying this evening too.
  • Darondo  listen to my song.
  • edited August 2014
    Only connected in that they are all on my music shelf too. I keep telling Kevin he needs to find somewhere else to hang out, but he's a bugger to shift once he makes himself at home  :))

Was listening to Les Illuminations last night. Good stuff :-) Is going to get a replaying this evening too.
    None of those are on my shelf or NAS drive. I've been using Spotify all day.

Just explain to Kev he may end up in a Full English if he doesn't move along quietly. It normally works ;-)
  • James Blake - Overgrown
    Dramatic!
  • I haven't heard that one.
  • From Australia - John Williams. 
    btw, enjoyed checking out Darondo earlier. Thanks, Chris :-)
  • My pleasure, Spotify is brilliant i have gone from vinyl to files and mostly Spotify now.
  • I really need to get to grips with Spotify better. I've challenged my technophobia sufficiently to get myself an account, but am not courageous enough to use it often. This thread long-running thread is an inspiration to do so though :-)
  • edited August 2014
    The one downside of Spotify for us hi-fi weirdos is that it's lossy compressed audio - 120k (or maybe lower) MP3 on the free account and 320k on the tenner a month.

I play it on the office system a lot and when out and about, but not on the main system, where it can sound a bit lacking to my ears.

But it is great to listen to stuff that I don't know or wouldn't play that much if I did own it.
  • Premium is fine and to be fair side by side I personally think you would struggle to tell mediums apart
    The problems arise with different recordings of material where one track has several listings that sound different. My opinion obviously.
  • "But it is great to listen to stuff that I don't know or wouldn't play that much if I did own it."

I think this is how I want to be using it. To check out the stuff you lot put me onto before buying a copy. Not because of my refined listening skills, which are in their infancy, but because I'm a hoarder!!! Which is why I spend half my life having to put up additional shelving. 
    :D
  • Have you been listening to my stuff??? And you're still talking to me :-)

On the storage thing, get yourself a NAS drive, rip the CDs to it and then stuff them all in the loft or somewhere out of sight. 
  • Premium is fine and to be fair side by side I personally think you would struggle to tell mediums apart
    The problems arise with different recordings of material where one track has several listings that sound different. My opinion obviously.
    I can tell the difference between different levels of MP3 and FLAC/ALAC and sometimes between Redbook and HD files. MP3s sound OK, but I realise there's less detail and nuance, and the stereo image is flat.

I would have thought you would have been able to tell the difference with your amp - I can't remember what else is in your system. 

But there is another way of looking at it - if you can't tell the difference, rejoice! You can get away with spending a lot less on music.

This is compressed to hell and back, in fact a blummin racket! But it has a live pub band charm to it, so just turn it down a bit & enjoy.
    Talking with Dave about this one the other day, one of my fave Hiatt albums. Really interesting foray (almost) into the mainstream but with some of his best songwriting ever IMO, with dark undertones and a merciless examination of some aspects of human nature and regrets.
  • Shall give it a spin on Spotti.
  • Oh i think you misunderstand, i can tell the difference but in the great scheme of things does it matter. I have never understood what people mean by sitting down to listen seriously,what is that cobblers i listen to music to enjoy which I'm about to do lol. I listen via laptop, jriver when i fancy it a passive ,Col's amp and quad esl63. Dac is jkdac32, plenty good enough i think.
    ENJOY.
  • I thought Spotify used an Ogg Vorbis system (which is generally far superior to all variants of Mp3 I've heard)?

• I listen via my office system far more than the main system, but there would be no point in having the big system if I didn't get a better experience from it.
  • I thought Spotify used an Ogg Vorbis system (which is generally far superior to all variants of Mp3 I've heard)?

You are right - https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/What-bitrate-does-Spotify-use-for-streaming
  • Ogg vorbis 320 for spotify although i think quobuz is superior , not tried it yet so i will reserve judgment.
  • Qobuz advertises its £19.99 a month service as CD quality (16/44.1 FLAC), but I haven't tried it either.
  • edited August 2014
    John Hiatt – Cry Love

This appears to be an early-ish one.

And I like it! :-)
  • Yee-Haw!