Magneplanar .7

Bought my self a pair of Magnepan.7s  well bugger me they are good well worth the money and totally free of all boxiness and restraint of a box speaker. You hear some people say they are bass light, i can honestly they are not bass light they have bags of it, a midrange out of this world and a very sweet beautiful top end ! Such a lovely sound speaker i would thoroughly recommend them to anyone . I have yet still run them in but they keep getting better every day,these are the only speakers where i have been able to sit down and listen to music for 12-13 hours non stop bloody fantastic.I will post more as they run in more. In the meantime if anyone has thought about a pair i'd say go for it worth every penny !

Comments

• Thanks.
    You're impressed!
    Always thought they looked elegant.
    But I've never heard them.
    Enjoy!
  • edited November 2016
    Cheers Doc,yeah they are impressive. Even the missus likes them,when we not listening we can push them back which is a right bonus being under a inch thick!  Shame you not closer Doc otherwise i would invite you round for a session. I first heard a pair of the 12 version last year and never for got the sound. I was totally blown away. But these are the new .7 version most of what the what 1.7's but smaller  but much better than the 12's. You don't need millions of watts to drive them,i'm using a ver nice Musical Fidelity A3 Dual mono  amp rated at 85 watts per channel 170 watts into 4 ohms and it drives them loud if need be,JS Audio repairs has upgraded everything inside quite it a bit so it has lots of grunt.  A few of my mates have come round and had a listen and asked where my sub is lol,these speakers really are magic . It's the voices that get me how they sound so real, infact the whole of the band is in the living room. I had to save a long time for these but they are worth every penny i will never go back to box speakers. Just amazes me how they put that much bass out from something less than inch thick!

I just need to get a decent turntable now.
  • Seems they are doing the job very nicely indeed.

Many moons ago I heard "a" pair of Maggies, some Apogees (hybrid) and the Quad ESL63. I reckon things must have moved on muchly as the stats I heard back then were good at most things but lean in the bass, except the Apogees that sounded rather disjointed.

I must find myself a listen of the new breed! I couldn't find any useful info on the net about your .7s, any links?

• farout said:
    Cheers Doc,yeah they are impressive. Even the missus likes them,when we not listening we can push them back which is a right bonus being under a inch thick!  Shame you not closer Doc otherwise i would invite you round for a session. I first heard a pair of the 12 version last year and never for got the sound. I was totally blown away. But these are the new .7 version most of what the what 1.7's but smaller  but much better than the 12's. You don't need millions of watts to drive them,i'm using a ver nice Musical Fidelity A3 Dual mono  amp rated at 85 watts per channel 170 watts into 4 ohms and it drives them loud if need be,JS Audio repairs has upgraded everything inside quite it a bit so it has lots of grunt.  A few of my mates have come round and had a listen and asked where my sub is lol,these speakers really are magic . It's the voices that get me how they sound so real, infact the whole of the band is in the living room. I had to save a long time for these but they are worth every penny i will never go back to box speakers. Just amazes me how they put that much bass out from something less than inch thick!

They sound like keepers! Which I imagine is a real joy after the effort / wait you've put in to get them.
    And a MuFi A3! Those big MuFi amps are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I had an A3.2 for a while, before selling it to a friend. I always enjoy re-aquainting myself with it when I visit him.
  • farout said:

They do sound interesting. Like Chris, I've found this kind of speaker either bass-light or disjointed.

Maybe I should start saving my pennies, or at least finding a dealer who'll lend me a pair. ;-)
  • cj66 said:

Seems they are doing the job very nicely indeed.

Many moons ago I heard "a" pair of Maggies, some Apogees (hybrid) and the Quad ESL63. I reckon things must have moved on muchly as the stats I heard back then were good at most things but lean in the bass, except the Apogees that sounded rather disjointed.

I must find myself a listen of the new breed! I couldn't find any useful info on the net about your .7s, any links?

Go on the web check out magneplanar .7 reviews loads on there
  • uglymusic said:

farout said:

They do sound interesting. Like Chris, I've found this kind of speaker either bass-light or disjointed.

Maybe I should start saving my pennies, or at least finding a dealer who'll lend me a pair. ;-)

Definitely not disjointed or bass light. My missus is a bass head and she is well impressed by the bass, honestly you can feel the bass and it is tight a and fast,im in a band and these speakers play like im at a gig, truely impressive.
  • Magneplanar really have come up trumps with these .7s they are not 6 foot tall lol and not in your face they sit in the living room comfortably :)
  • edited November 2016
    cj66 said:

Seems they are doing the job very nicely indeed.

The new breed really are something else well worth checking out,even when playing low the bass is there in tons ,still not sure how they do it buts its bloody amazing.
  • These speakers keep getting better i have completely started my music in alphabetical order a cd or 2 a night im on letter G for Genesis never heard so much detail before even the missus really enjoys the music they make :) and she is one hard woman to please :/
  • You're on a journey!
    Glad you're enjoying it. :-)

It's made me wonder which is the musically strongest letter in the alphabet... :-/
    Please report back when you've finished with Z!
  • Depends if you're a !!! or a ZZ Top fan, I guess  :-B
  • These speakers rock with Rock slowly running them in they get better every time we listen,the midrange is beautiful best ive heard.
    I'm hearing so much more detail stuff ive never heard before from albums. I'm now on  letter J for Jethrotull Ian Anderson's flute is right there in front of me infact he is right there in front of me,almost like a live performance most albums sound like a live performance on these speakers they really are something special and how they produce the bass (plenty of it) i just don't know they are magic speakers.

Good thing is when we finish listening i just push them back against the wall and they are out the way. So bloody adaptable fantastic!
    When we ready for a music session we just pull them out to same position, sorted. 
  • Owned a pair of 1.4 s many years ago, had to sell due to a domestic situation, but have to say I loved them! Would love to try another pair in my new home, but not that many dealers now, so not sure if that will ever happen