Jennifer Love Hewitt and Chris's USB power box

edited April 2016 in DIY
This discussion was created from comments split from: Windows pimp my ride..

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I just thought I'd add a little on improving (or trying to minimise losses) of either downloading audio/video files or moving them from one media to another via USB.

As contributors thus far in this thread are familiar with using linear power supplies to aid sound quality it will come as no surprise that using the same to replace the 5v USB bus supplies can also be beneficial. Therefore I use a simple linear supply, augmented with ripple rejection boards to replace the bus feed. These are virtually identical to those used to replace 5v/3.6v/3.3v supply lines in varous stages of a DAC, as mentioned previously.

The USB leads used to make the essential connections are of good construction (to the recoginsed standard), kept as short as possible and have their +ve5v conductor disconnected at the supply end, in some cases you can also disconnect the -ve but this can cause "hand-shake" difficulties on various pieces of equipment so is something that requires hit or miss experimentation. Others have found costlier cables to work a little better still here but it was not my experience after experimentation. I have found better USB drives to of benefit however.

Which makes me think! (quite an occasion for me) COLIN! If you are even well enough to think about such things, maybe a little design of your own to improve on this setup and other linear supplies for PCs? I say this remembering a couple of conversations asking you if a ripple rejection board wouls assist in a design of yours and your reply to the effect of, my design is already extremely low ripple so not required.

Here is the little box I use for this function. It literally just inserts ("injects") the necessary clean 5v supply.

Naked during testing...

and in use...

[ houston we have a problem, cannot find ]

• Not what I had in mind but...

Complete

Lid on

• edited April 2016
    Nice work Chris

I Have a similar unit but not as sexy which I use for the same perpose.

maybe you could add a link to the JLH Ripple eater and mention how you've managed to get them working at such low voltages.

I use a Constant Current Diode (can't remember which one) to trick my Ripple eaters up for 3.3-7V but maybe you have another way.

I use my units for any USB device that needs a clean supply and also for the SSD in my PC's.

it's really a coincidence that I'm about to start playing with some in line with my IFI Purifier 2 and may also be good for the Regen but that's for later. But I think Alex may have beaten me to that but no big surprise on that as he always seems to.

''I say this remembering a couple of conversations asking you if a ripple rejection board wouls assist in a design of yours and your reply to the effect of, my design is already extremely low ripple so not required.''

How low is low?

Nice work
  • Good thought Shaun. I'll get on that later. Just googled JLH and received a load pictures of Jennifer Love Hewitt!! Nice surprise :P

• Nice one Chris

Let the hound see the rabbit.
  • edited April 2016
    OK, for those unfamiliar with this very useful board here are some details on the John Lindsey Hood "power supply ripple rejection" board, AKA JLH psrr, AKA ripple eater, AKA shunt regulator.

This is a small board used immediately after a standard linear power supply and immediately before the board or circuit to be powered and result in an audible improvement. These have been reproduced and fine tuned by members on other forums (most notably Alex Kethel, Will Woodvine and Greg Erskine). They are solely to reduce the effect of ripple on the circuit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_%28electrical%29

They have been made in both single track and dual track versions and can handle +ve and -ve power lines. In their standard form they work best on circuits being powered by 10 - 20 vdc. For higher voltages some components must be upgraded and for lower voltages R13 (see build manual link) can be replaced with a current regulating diode to stabilise it, I've used a J506. This is especially useful at the 5v and 3.3v power levels.

Single

Build manual & details http://theleftoverz.com/stuff/JLH%20RE%20Build%20Manual%20v1.1.pdf

Dual version details http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gerskine/greg/default.htm

click on "power supplies" and then click on "JLH add on shunt regulator".

J506 http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/84166/LINEAR/J506.html

I've have incorporated these into many designs and they are very worthwhile.
  • edited April 2016
    Nice work Chris and as you mention it I also use the 506 for bellow 10V trickery.

If I remember correctly the JLH acts as an electrical equivalent of a very large but fast capacitor.

For anyone unfamiliar with the late and most certainly great John Linsley Hood (another great Londoner)here's a short wiki.

I've built a few of his designs including his discrete shunt FB phono stage and still have it as a reality check for my newer builds.

I remember his friendly disposition and patience with my green horn Telephone questions well.

• Dave, great title for the thread! Maybe we can call these boards little Jennies?

Shaun, do have a link and details for that JLH phono board, I've been meaning to make a phono stage for my SCAK Aclass pre for ages.
  • link and details for that JLH phono board

It's long out of production as a kit but how much do you want to spend.

There is some nice ones around for not tooooo much cash.

this one for example sounds nice enough

I also have one of these and it's also very nice

and currently this

which is stellar to my ears.
  • There is a Colin design here on Chews somewhere that I don't think anyone has built.
  • cj66 said:

Dave, great title for the thread! Maybe we can call these boards little Jennies?

LOL! Henceforth, they will be called that :-)

• Shoom, thanks for the links. When I can get some time I may just try the second one. I watched the "paradise" GB grow from a "simple phono stage" to something rather more special along with great impressions thereafter.
  • The Salas simplistic is dead good and pretty straightforward to build.

Jfets can be obtained from DIYA shop or Tbag does kits every now and then.

good choice.

the Paradise is a great piece of kit and probably the best I've heard Kit or commercial. the down side is the challenging build.

worth the effort though IMHO.
  • I have to agree the Simplistic is imho an excellent phonostage and a relatively simple build with the boards and bits and pieces from Teabag.
    Teabag being a nice guy to deal with.
  • Keith's the man to talk to on this as he also has the Pass Pearl which I've not heard but is highly rated.

Have you noticed the cap updated on the Paradise builders thread?

Could be worth a looksee.
  • Well Sondale (Alan) and I have  been working on a PSU so shhh and wait and see..
    But it does look good so far.
  • It's the Xono that I built not the Pearl Shaun. An excellent phono amp which caters for both MM and MC cartridges and even does balanced out.
    I was a happy user of the JLH phonostage for a good few years.

Boards are available from Ralph Stens in Germany. A very nice guy to deal with.

http://www.rstaudio.de/en/pass-xono-nachbau/#xono_en_pcb
  • The Pearl is a very nice, easy to build phono stage, sounds pretty good as well.
  • AntiCrap said:
    Well Sondale (Alan) and I have  been working on a PSU so shhh and wait and see..
    But it does look good so far.

I've tried some TPS7A47 based regs to good effect with some of my digital stuff so may be worth thinking on for a phono stage,

Keith

It's strange how our paths keep crossing along the way. Now with the JLH Phono :-)

Thanks for the link to the Xono

• We must have a similar ear Shaun.
  • Or separated at birth ;-)

Anyhow the JLH Power injector.

I'm setti8ng one up as we speak but more on that later.

Chris

Have you tried one powering a SSD yet? then ripping to it.

• No not yet. SSD, HDD, and optical drive are all on the to-do list. Alex has been urging me to get that done as well.
  • shoom said:

Anyhow the JLH Power injector.

JLH and The New Power Generation? (I'll get me coat!).
  • Your OS SDD is pretty straightforward so no slacking allowed.

HDD should also be on the list.

I must admit to never quite getting around to sorting my BR player but may do soon.

But TBH I'd start with a linear on your PC first and then work through the rest once that's done and dusted.
  • Hmmm, not sure about a linear for the main PC (the PC I use at the moment is all purpose, my MPC was given to wifey when her PC died). That's why I was thinking of the going the drive route first....thoughts?
  • edited April 2016
    Oh I see

For a low cost solution maybe a PI3 which I've been running to good effect or one of the Mini ATX/ITX boards.

Both offer the Chance to use an inexpensive linear PSU.

The ATX can be had for not much cash so maybe a good bet. 

:bz
  • edited April 2016
    You read my mind. Possibly another Mini ITX set up, I liked the board you linked to in the other thread.

Busy bee refers to work unfortunately, not much time to play

• The Mini ITX gives a little more room for tweaking things up so good choice.

Amazon have good dealt ATM.