turntable

What would you all recommend as turntable for £300 or less i mainly listen to CD's  so the turntable will be occasional use but must sound fairly decent.

Comments

• Am going to ear wig on responses to this one, Farout. So thanks for putting the question out there.
  • New or used?

If used something like a Manticore Mantra, Systemdek IIX with a Rega or Linn arm and the cartridge of your choice.

You'd have to aim quite a bit £higher to beat either of these with a new deck.
    B-)
  • .... If new I'd go for a Pro-Ject. I heard a friends Debut Carbon (his was bright red) and was quite impressed, plus it also gets good reviews. I've been underwhelmed by the latest Regas in that price range.
  • Used as cant afford a new one. Something simple that doesn't need to set up or need anywhere special to sit. Just a good turntable that plays nicely
  • So, this is reassuring for me. I have a Pro-ject Debut as that is in my price range. I think it does a pretty ok job, but am always a bit shame faced about it.
    I am intending (once I've paid off xmas debts!) to change the cartridge to an Ortofon 2M Red. I like it enough to put a bit more money into it. Yes, I know I've been saying I'm going to do that for some time now, but patience is a virtue :-)
  • edited January 2016
    I've found that different cart's sound so very different to each other. Worth playing around with that. That Ortofon range is pretty well regarded isn't it...? So probably a good choice.
    Oddly, I was thinking about getting my Decca London Super Gold cart sorted out. It's a lovely sounding thing. (Almost sounds as good as digital). But, mine needs a retip (I think), as it started to sound terrible before I hibernated my TT. There's a couple of companies that can do an overhaul for a lot less than a replacement would be. Am starting to save up for it.
    This idea has come about as I now have my Claymore (with phono stage) back (thanks Suzy) in my second system.
    To tie this in with the thread, my TT is a Pioneer PL-71 direct drive. And really that shouldn't be sitting in the loft with a Super Gold. I sometimes think of selling it, but can't bring myself to go anywhere near that, so I'll probably get it out later this year or next. Vinyl is no longer the primary music carrier for me, but the idea of having it in the second system is appealing.

Farout, how possible is that a PL-71 could be picked up for £300 these days...? It's a cracking deck... :-)
    Bit of a looker too, IMHO...

Edit - that google sourced photo there is not my PL-71, but oddly, the LP playing on it is mine. It's my copy of Speedy J "Ginger" (on 'ginger' coloured vinyl, of course)...

• Does it belong to another noted Pioneer owner? No names, no pack drill ;-)
  • Agreed on the 'bit of a looker' front. Crying shame to have something so fine looking sitting in a loft! 
    What else you got hidden up there? Hugh Jackman? Brad Pitt? 
    ;)

---sorry, bit of a side track from the thread there - I got carried away in my little fantasy 
    :D
  • uglymusic said:
    Does it belong to another noted Pioneer owner? No names, no pack drill ;-)
    Nothing gets past you, does it, Mrs. Marple...?
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Agreed on the 'bit of a looker' front. Crying shame to have something so fine looking sitting in a loft! 
    ;)
    Hugh's up there, but I had to chuck out Brad to make room for the Goodmans RB20s.
  • Docfoster said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    Agreed on the 'bit of a looker' front. Crying shame to have something so fine looking sitting in a loft! 
    ;)
    Hugh's up there, but I had to chuck out Brad to make room for the Goodmans RB20s.
    Good choice  :)
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Does it belong to another noted Pioneer owner? No names, no pack drill ;-)
    Nothing gets past you, does it, Mrs. Marple...?
    Nothing... But I'm more of a Jessica Jones these days :-)
  • edited January 2016
    If ease of set up/use and prettyness are on the books how about a Dual CS5000? There's a couple on €bay now in that price range. Not the best available sonically for the price but...

• cj66 said:
    If ease of set up/use and prettyness are on the books how about a Dual CS5000? There's a couple on €bay now in that price range. Not the best available sonically for the price but...

I nearly bought one of those, several times! Because, as you point out, it is rather pretty. With the possible exception of the arm, but it is natty in it's own way.

There is absolutely no point in owning a TT unless you love looking at it and touching it, IMO. The whole tactile experience seems to be about connecting to the music on a more personal level and the above is part of the ritual. I am yet to be convinced that vinyl is superior as a whole to (solid state) digital, but I'd love to revisit vinyl again.

I really miss my Garrard!