New Monacor midrange units...?

edited December 2015 in Loudspeakers
Absolutely love my speakers. Love em.
Thanks Mr. Goodmans. Thanks Mr. Coupe.
I've even assembled a collection of replacement SH drive units to slot in if and when the old 1973 transducers give out...

The only slight issue is that the old Goodmans midrange drivers can't quite handle very high volumes. They noticably break up. This is also true at (merely) high volumes if the track has a lot of midrange energy (e.g. Ella Fitzgerald's voice). For daily listening at more than adequate volumes there is no problem.
There's nothing wrong with the individual drive units, as whichever one of my collection I slot in, they behave in the same way.

I'm thinking of trying some more modern units that may be able to keep up with the bass drivers and tweeters.
Maybe these...?

http://www.monacor.de/en/products/speaker-technology/hi-fi-midrange-speakers/msh-1164/

I think they are a reasonably close match (4ohms, 91dB), and appear to have a decent power handling capacity.

Also, physically, they appear to have similar dimensions.

Thoughts...?
Alternatives...?

Comments

• Actually, on closer inspection they are about 10mm too wide. The current midranges (114mm) are right up against the wave guide of the tweeters. (Maybe I could shave a bit off the edges... 8-X )
  • PACPAC
    edited December 2015
    There are plenty of mid range units that will do the trick Ben but every single one of them would necessitate a complete redesign of the crossover bandpass filter as the electro-acoustic response and T-S parameters will differ from the originals.

I have plenty of the SEAS MP12RC midrange units in stock (in fact I have all remaining European stock) which would also work very well if crossed over at around 350 to 400Hz.

• edited December 2015

PAC said:
    There are plenty of mid range units that will do the trick Ben but every single one of them would necessitate a complete redesign of the crossover bandpass filter as the electro-acoustic response and T-S parameters will differ from the originals.

I have plenty of the SEAS MP12RC midrange units in stock (in fact I have all remaining European stock) which would also work very well if crossed over at around 350 to 400Hz.

I had a feeling you might say something like that Paul...

"Electro-acoustic response", "T-S parameters"...?
    @-)
    So once again it's not as easy as chucking in something that looks a bit the same... Damn physics.
    As always, thanks for your advice on speaker matters.

Hmm.
    I know you highly regard the SEAS ones. They look a weeny bit big, but maybe there's enough wiggle room.

Please could you PM / email me a ball park figure/quote...? May be I'm due a Christmas present from me.
  • Truth is Ben, as advised in the email, as long as your mids are healthy, I would leave well alone. The extra cost would not be worth it.  We can try and just blend the tweeter down a little if that helps with balance.
  • Thanks for you detailed and honest email Paul. :-)

Be assured that I am completely happy with the (sonic) balance. Your previous work on the speakers speaks for itself every time I listen to them. It's just that the midrange units can't quite handle the energy / movement required for huge volumes.
    Though perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by "balance"? (I'm wondering if you might be meaning that handing more of the upper-midrange load to the tweeters would significantly reduce the strain on the squawkers...?)